Ship Docking "area too small"

Reaction score
    You need to place core above the docking module and then take the pictures. It\'s not a matter of just ship bounding box fitting inside the docking box, the ship doesn\'t land from the middle of it, but from the core. And if the dock would actually be sideways, then the orientation would require the dock to be bigger in other direction.

Reaction score
    ahh yeah i see what you mean it seems it is only effecting docking areas being build and not when importing ships i would recommend backing up your current blueprints you are working on and revert back to a previous patch when turrets did work i think that is backup-StarMade-0.093933-20130906_195713 or the one before this one until the problem is adressed

Reaction score
    The new un-enhanced docking module is WAY too big! My internal hanger decks are now useless because they were designed to fit smaller craft under 8 blocks tall. Now i cant even use the hanger because its to small for the new GIANT box

Reaction score
    I have also fund out that the new sizes of docking space are way too large. Me and a couple of friends made a pocket carrier 5 days ago that was completely functional, now more than 60% of it\'s turret and docking modules go offline and we would need to create approximately 50% bigger ship to get it to work again.

I\'d like to see docking module sizes reverted.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    The previous docking size was a 7x7 area, not sure of the height. I have several ships that had hangar bays designed around those dimensions. I\'m waiting to find out if the new size is going to stick before tearing apart all of my ships. Personally, I hope that they, at a minimum, revert to the previous box size. My preference would be for them to find a way to ignore any interferences in the docking box so that I can build hangars to the scale of the ship(s) docking there rather than to the size of the boundary box.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    That the green lines are moving out according to the new docking code, but that the actual docking area itself isn\'t expanding correctly.

When I put a turret on the top of my ship, I have to put in a couple of extra enhancers, even though the green docking lines are larger than the purple lines of my turret.

I cannot dock any side turrets at the moment, even when I put down a ridiculous number of enhancers. Also, when I put down enhancers in the y axis (up/down), the green docking area moves away from my ship in the y axis. It doesn\'t actually expand upwards.

Reaction score
    The docking modules now have a default docking dimension of 12x12x12. This breaks the \"EnterpriseHullDone\" blueprint as its shuttlebay has a docking module and it won\'t work under the new mechanics. Ship builders would be forced to make their ships larger to work with the \"buffed\" modules.

This bothers me a lot since it means I can\'t bring my shuttles with me on my ship (as I didn\'t make it, I can\'t resize it and the creator might not be arsed into rebuilding an entire ship to make it work again).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the minimum docking size was too big before the last update now its just massive. I was using the single docking modules as part of an internal fast transit system inside my ship. now thats totally broken not just because everything got undocked but because the new size is just so massive. :<

minimum should be 5X5 imo anyway. but... 10 is just huuuge.

Reaction score
    Is this a bug or is this going to get fixed? This only decreases the options we have for docking.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I hope they revert it back to the original way....but keeping the better coding?..lol if possible.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The new dimensions for the docking area makes creating a functional and nice looking escape pod bay nothing but a pipe dream. I tried another idea but that didn\'t work either.

(I know I mentioned this in another thread, but I\'m just brining attention to it here)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Docking is important to the game and a key feature. Make a large docking module for Heavy fighters, Corvettes, Frigates, Capital ships, etc. A small module for Drones, Fighters, Escape pods, etc.

Reaction score
    I just hope that the dimensions are reverted to normal size, or else I have nothing to do with the smaller docking spaces in my ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    looks like a dev fix is out for the docking bug guys

Thanks for the hard work schema, we may complain but only because we love the game, dont listen to the entitled haters who think they can code but do nothing :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im testing the dev zip right now. I still have huge size-differences between turret/ship and the dock it should fit in.

things I noticed:

* when Im in a turret and try to dock on the docking module, I get an \"area too small\" and the blue bounding box for the turret appears. However, it is misplaced (in my case, the size seems to be correct for the turret, but its placed with the BBs left side in the middle of the turret, so the whole BB is shifted to teh right).

My very small shuttle, while docking on a green dock (the turret was on red) did not have this misplacement.

* Docking Areas are \"usual size\", however shipsizes have gone up (im assuming this was the bugfixing schema talked about). My W5, L7, H3 shuttle does not fit into a non boosted docking mosule anymore. Even loweing the Length to 5 is not enough (the ship core is exactly in teh middle, at W3 L4 H2 for the longer version and W3 L3 H2 for the shorter one).

Can anyone tell me what the actual size of a dock is? Looking at it right now, it seems to span a 7x7x7 cube...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve tested the last dev build and I have some pictures.

It seems that the default docking size for an non enhanced dock is 7x7x7 (the size of the green box). The only ship size I can dock is 4x4x4 though. And that 4x4x4 ship need to have the core in a specific position for it to work:

All 6 possible possitions for a dock:

In any of the cases if I had a single block in a single direction the ship will not fit the dock.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am so sad that my first post here is a complaint. Don\'t get me wrong, I love this game with all my heart, but the latest turret patch broke everything built with turrets or small docking bays, including pirate stations. The turrets seemed to have been powered by the station, and now just float harmlessly near the stations. Kind of sucks the fun out of attacking them :( Also, the pirates on our server use the 1to1 scale klingon ships, as well as the Amber Fates, which have all lost thier fangs. Second unhappy face :(. Even if a future patch fixes the docking cube size debacle how do we go about re-attaching turrets to pirate stations without restarting our server and loosing all the bases we have built?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You still have a backup before the update, don\'t you? downgrade to older build and wait for improvments.

Servers owners tend to rush to updated version without checking the quality of the build. Schema can not test each build without our help, so give each build some test time.

Reaction score
    I\'m seeing this too. My shuttles are L4 W3 H2 with the Core at the very front middle of the craft. My ship has one bay to house it and this bay is about 10 blocks tall and 10 blocks wide with a door only 5 blocks wide.

The bay itself has 3 docking modules in it without any enhancers on them (its long enough to hold three shuttles of the above dimensions) and their docking areas fit the space available again. However, I cannot dock my shuttles to those Docking Modules.

What I get when I make the attempts is the \"docking area too small\" error and it shows my ship\'s dimensions in the blue circle as being \"too long\" as at least one block outside the green area. My question is why should the position of the core matter when the dimensions of the ship are more than small enough to fit in that \"bugfixed\" 7x7x7 docking area? It is acting as if I have to move my core. An otherwise trivial matter if I wanted the shuttle to lose a little power (and access to the ship core) just to dock the ship.

I\'ve done some testing and it seems the reason this happens is because if I try to expand the ship while it is docked to be 1 block outside the docking area in any direction, the game will refuse to let me place the block on my test shuttle citing that the space (1 block outside the docking area) is occupied by the ship I am docked to even when there is nothing physically there (not even opened plex doors). And if I increase the hight of the ship to 3 blocks, the test shuttle auto-undocks because the game thinks it is now \"too big\" for the docking area when again the green docking box is larger than the shuttle itself is.