Ship Docking "area too small"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    My ship was docked before the patch. Now it says the area is too small. I expanded the area to about 5 blocks wider on each side, and 10 blocks longer to no avail. Anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
    yeah same here i just reverted to the previous version its the side turrets that were doing it for me... there is back up zip folders in the game directory you can unzip the previous verson opent he folder and copy and past everything into a new folder and youll have everything you had before this last update and the turrets will work again

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    For me, if the turret or ship dock is the right way up they are working as normal. All my ships and turrets that are mounted the right way up did not undock after the last update (0.093941).

But, all the docks mounted on their sides, or upside down undocked and get the docking area too small error, even though the area is waaay bigger than what is being docked. If the turret/ship is small enough to fit on just a docking module, they are unaffected (stayed docked and will undock/redock as normal). It\'s as if it\'s not calculating the docking enhancers into the area (even though the bounding box is there as normal).

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    All turrets that were docked to a module facing downwards or sideways are disconnected and can\'t reconnect to the module. Error message is \"docking area too small\" but in fact, they now only accept turrets that have their core ON TOP (or on the correct side) of them to dock. When trying to dock with a turret made like that, docking happens, but the turret still doesn\'t align its core with the module, leaving it exposed on the other side...

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    well, I posted this in suggestions since I haven\'t seen the opposite till now.... http://star-made.org/content/about-new-docking mine are all too big. I can\'t even fit my snub-nose light fighters in my heavy cruiser\'s small bay now that the docking area is gigantic...even with only the docking core selected and everything else not connected. It\'s just tooo huge vertical-wise.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Anyone still having docking issues should try removing and replacing one or two of the docking enhancers on the ship. After doing that on mine, ALL docks recalculated instantly. I can now dock both turrets and ships without issue. Also, anyone who can\'t dock ships/turrets still after the fix, please take into account that previously, docking area was completely miscalculated. Some of the larger builds may have been allowed to dock purely out of error.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    hmm I will remove and replace the docking core, and see how that goes. I will report my findings, and thank you for the suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just FYI it was only the Docking Enhancers that I had to remove and replace, not the docking core. But that may work as well.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Removing the docking core and all the enhancers made it worse. Placing a docking core the area is vertically too high, then linking 1 enhancer behind it ,makes incredibly high and really wide. I liked it the old way, where it wouldn\'t widen or increase vertically unless you put another enhancer to the left or right of center and you added an enhancer to the bottom to increase vertical border. this new way really screws up everything that I have done.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well that sucks. I guess I\'m enjoying it because the new calculations fit my build quite well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Anyone know how the docking system is \"more robust?\" As has been pointed out in this thread, the docking area with this patch is now much larger, making it even more ungainly than before.

Reaction score
    The bottom and side turret docking is still not fixed, and now I can\'t even dock my ships inside my carrier anymore! This is all messed up! I am so frustrated. I think I can\'t play this right now...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I use many docks that use no enhancers. What has happened now is all the ones that were working have now undocked and the area is too small.

The change I can see is that before, the docking module would take the centre point (odd symetry), then the area was extended 5 blocks in all directions. This would give you a docking area of 11x11x6.

With this new update, it\'s just a 10x10x10 area above the module. Which makes the old turrets/ships undock as they were 11 blocks long.

Another problem that has happened is with the extra height which is un-needed (who flies around in a 10x10x10 cube?). Inside my hanger bays I can now not fit a docking module. The floor to roof height was 10, which gave you room to lift the module a block off the floor by 1 block so you can get to the underside of the tiny ships to get into the core. I would have 1 block of breathing room above the docking area for the roof. 10 high for the roof was already not ideal because of the poor lighting model which if you put lights in the roof, they did not much at floor level (even though you covered the roof in them). This is now compounded because the hanger bay needs to be even higher to fit in these silly high docking areas.

And yet another problem... With the old model the docking module\'s docking area was in odd symetry to the module. Now with the 10x10x10 lump ontop, the symetry is now even. Which means the docking module magically makes more room on two sides. This also makes it hard to place on a ship or a station which has been built using odd symetry (the logical method as the core is centre and you build evenly around it).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    From what I\'ve read in past notes that\'s closer to how it was always meant to work. I always thought the old docking function didn\'t make sense.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is a still a large problem. Please look at this screenshot.

I have some larger ships that won\'t dock either, no matter the size of the docking area. And yet, there are some ships larger than those that do dock.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Did anybody have a problem with the previous docking system? It seemed to work fine and now none of my stations turrets are docked, things that obviously fit onto a dock still say they are to large, the default sized docking area is so large now it makes it much harder to place any internal docking in hangers or cargo bays. Everything undocking at once caused game breaking lag on my server and it had to be restarted.

Reaction score
    The previous system was absolutely perfect, the only default it has was to docking ship using turret.