Ship Docking "area too small"

Reaction score
    While the sizes of docking spaces are now back to normal (Thank you for that), I am still suffering from this bug. I can only dock my turrets into spaces that are roughly 5-10 times bigger then the actual turret size.

Or is this intended?

Reaction score
    Its because now apparently the docking area is is miscalculating the actual size of your ship. For example my shuttle is L4 W3 H2 (4x3x2) with the core in the very front. It cannot use a normal docking module without an enhancer because it is apparently now \"too big\" length-wise. If I move the core backwards into the ship by one block, it will fit but then you can\'t get at the core (without taking blocks off) if there is anything directly in front of said core.

So while the displayed area is back to normal, ships that used to dock fine no longer work properly and the core placement seems to have become a big part of the problem while the docking area is now reading the size of your ship wrong. My shuttle fits fine on the old docking mechanics with just one docking module. Now I either have to move the core, shrink the ship, or use an enhancer to make it work.

Reaction score
    Well that sucks. This still needs to be fixed, otherwise 90% of my previous ships are broken and need a full redesign to work again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    True indeed Ethoir, I forget that we are all testing this, and for free for that matter. Thank you schema, I love the game, and will continue to test your builds. Keep up the awesome work (and please fix pirate bases).

Reaction score
    Sounds like every single popular ship in the site\'s catalog that has anything docked on it just got borked. I\'m betting HeldTech and the like are NOT happy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Using 0.093957:

Is there a definate way to figure out just how big of an area is necessary to dock a ship/turret? We have a green bounding box indicating an area PRESUMABLY how large of a vehicle will be able to dock, and a blue box that appears temporarily when a vehicle attempts to dock and cannot, and appears permanently when the vehicle docks and you are in build mode. The blue box SEEMS to indicate how large of a green box will be necessary to dock.

However, this ASSUMED behavior is not accurate. From the screenshot here, there is room to fit more than one of these vehicles into the green box. This vehicle\'s core is located on the very bottom layer(it\'s used as a turret) and I\'m attempting to attach it to a turret dock.

Reaction score
    Funny.. after the last fix my turret docking works fine. I needed to extend some modules since they were too small for the current system, but generally, if my turrets firts inside the square it works and I can dock.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think ignoring the interferences to the bounding box would be a great idea if schema can find a way to detect interferences with the ships docking. This would allow for a greater diversity of turret, hull, and hangar designs since you wouldn\'t have potential wasted space mucking up everything. As for turrents, maybe ignoring interference with the bottom row so that you can still make turrets that can touch the hull would be cool, too.

Reaction score
    just use this build for now guys that\'s what I am using I just keep a copy of it in a folder for just incase times that way we can keep testing builds and if there is a problem you can still play untill things get fixed up.

i linked it to http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20130906_195713.zip I am too adicted oto the game to hold off on some of the fixes lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It looks like the turret\'s blue box is now growing along with the green box whenever I expand the turret dock with expanders. No matter how many enhancers I place, I can\'t even dock the smallest turret.

EDIT: after putting 27 extenders in the lenght of the turret\'s direction, I finally managed to dock it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The blue box can be a little misleading. Ships and turrets dock at the center so if your ships have the core to one side (and turrets usually do) than the green box needs to be extended much further so the blue box won\'t stick past it. It would be nice if the part of the blue box sticking out was red and what fit was blue so you could easily see what the problem is.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I still cant get anything to dock no matter how big the docking area is

Reaction score
    I don\'t know what else to tell you. Even turret faction no longer matters. I even reset faction signature on my turret\'s faction module and was still able to dock on my faction ship. There are many blocks on same level as turret core, but nothing below it. This thing just works (i have these turrets on top and bottom of the ship).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    To place a turret you need to be sure that the Turret Module is on the same plane as the ship core, not beneith it, the plane should be flat, with nothing else below it, the ship core. I placed three turrets on my ship on tree different facings, after figuring this out.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    please read the date of the latest post in the thread in the future please