Ship Dealers

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So... Back to sales though... If we were selling ships through the Shop, would we handle stations the same?

Browsing a list of docked entities for ships (or turrets) to sell is easy. How would stations be sold via Shop? Would you basically browse a list of all owned station entities? Would the potential buyer still get to preview the product in a pocket system? Would there be any system in place to prevent clever Trojan Horses docked inside the station (or just caveat emptor)?

Would the sale listing need to give coordinates for the station (so buyers know if it's inside a star or black hole)? If so, why won't predators simply comb these listings for targets?

Reactions: JinM

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    So... Back to sales though... If we were selling ships through the Shop, would we handle stations the same?

Browsing a list of docked entities for ships (or turrets) to sell is easy. How would stations be sold via Shop? Would you basically browse a list of all owned station entities? Would the potential buyer still get to preview the product in a pocket system? Would there be any system in place to prevent clever Trojan Horses docked inside the station (or just caveat emptor)?

Would the sale listing need to give coordinates for the station (so buyers know if it's inside a star or black hole)? If so, why won't predators simply comb these listings for targets?

well if we went the road of direct sales via trade network and shipyards being feasible (and station making / viewing the same), then surely remote deployment (where even the design owner doesnt know where it will happen) is also feasible?

end of the day its all down to coding headaches and how much schine still bothers to listen to the players that play.

Reactions: MacThule

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

We could use a shipyard (a big one) to save blueprints/designs and give virtual tours. If the buyer likes the structure, he can buy a copy of it and place it (spawn-station-style) at his build site to start construction.

EDIT: That way, you can show any station that will fit in your shipyard to a potential buyer. without having to physically construct them all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    For stations how about this. You place station starter block down, have a ship with all the material you need in its cargo bay, then put the blueprint for the station into the starter block, tell it to pull the material it needs from the ship, and the station then begins constructing itself. This would mean that all you would have to sell would be the station blueprint or whatever we will be using in game at that time. Now if you if you wanted to sell more than just the blueprint you could also offer a cargo ship with all the materials needed to make said station already on it, sort of like a station building kit.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    For stations how about this. You place station starter block down, have a ship with all the material you need in its cargo bay, then put the blueprint for the station into the starter block, tell it to pull the material it needs from the ship, and the station then begins constructing itself. This would mean that all you would have to sell would be the station blueprint or whatever we will be using in game at that time. Now if you if you wanted to sell more than just the blueprint you could also offer a cargo ship with all the materials needed to make said station already on it, sort of like a station building kit.
    Sounds good but buyers will want to tour a sample of the facility before buying. Do you think the shipyard can be adapted for this purpose?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Sounds good but buyers will want to tour a sample of the facility before buying. Do you think the shipyard can be adapted for this purpose?
    Since a shipyard already does this for ships, it seems very possible. So maybe we need a 'stationyard' then - exactly like shipyards, but can only be built on ships and can only build stations?

Any of the above ideas would cover space stations. What about planetary facilities/features? Can we deal those too? Select them in a shop and add them for sale?

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Since a shipyard already does this for ships, it seems very possible. So maybe we need a 'stationyard' then - exactly like shipyards, but can only be built on ships and can only build stations?

Any of the above ideas would cover space stations. What about planetary facilities/features? Can we deal those too? Select them in a shop and add them for sale?

I think that would (at least right now) be an absolute paradox of gameplay. lets just start with shipyards and see how it goes as an idea instead?!

As to planetary facilities? - THAT sounds like a horrible amount of possible code to account for planetary randomness - nevermind new planets

Edit: a ship being built by a shipyard on a station, requiring a stationyard built on a ship which requires said stationyard to... GAAAAAAAAAGH!

im pretty sure we're now too deep in the rabbithole. just let shipyards cover it all, or nothing.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

The shipyard would be better suited for the simulation tour if you wanted to have it visible to everyone during a tour. On the other hand, it's probably not even necessary since a virtual tour does not have a size limitation.

For planet bases, I'd suggest integrating copy/paste templates into the blueprint/design system.

Example: at the shipyard or shop (which ever your prefer) "create blueprint from template".

[doublepost=1548712935,1548712578][/doublepost]To further my planet template example; These bases were all made with the use of templates.
    Maximus prime Construction2.jpg Maximus before reset.jpg Artificial planetoid3.jpg Orbit.jpg Planetoid04.jpg

Given that you can save templates to community content, it would not be hard to implement template use for base construction like this.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well... we're gonna need to manufacture some parts. Let me power up my factory...
    factory.gif

Edit: Do you guys prefer the shipyard idea or spawnable blueprints?

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I think some one will have to build at lest one station the old fashioned way :))
    O____o

i do NOT want to see you without your space suit giving the factories a "friendly hug" ever again!

o____O

im traumatised enough by finding out bees have nothing to do with eggs!

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Jeeze what a wall of text.

Isn't BP download/upload a server config option? This would limit instant BP theft.

Also, I thought this idea was to simply have a way to buy/sell built ships. Even in the real world you can copy pretty much any product you buy if you have the tech, skill and cash to back you.

A permissions system already exists in the way BPs are managed, so this shouldn't be difficult to expand on.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Jeeze what a wall of text.

Isn't BP download/upload a server config option? This would limit instant BP theft.

Also, I thought this idea was to simply have a way to buy/sell built ships. Even in the real world you can copy pretty much any product you buy if you have the tech, skill and cash to back you.

A permissions system already exists in the way BPs are managed, so this shouldn't be difficult to expand on.
    True but even the builder can't upload/save his own designs with current BP restriction server configs.

We need something to limit who can directly copy a BP. Time and determination would still allow a copy cat to dupe your work but not before you sell enough of it for the copy cats to no longer matter.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I make a ship that explodes after 10 jumps.
    You cannot jump in test sector.

It triggers when reactor usage spikes and enables a logic-clock for the sensor-block that checks reactor usage every time you press any button on the ship.
    Have fun with it, you CopyRighters,
    because I will implement a life-time clock and planned obsolescence in my products until everyone (of you) is fed up with it!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

It triggers when reactor usage spikes and enables a logic-clock for the sensor-block that checks reactor usage every time you press any button on the ship.
    because I will implement a life-time clock and planned obsolescence in my products until everyone (of you) is fed up with it!
    Picard1.jpg
    Do you see this kids?
    THIS is why the United Star Axis doesn't outsource ship building.

Reactions: PromisedPossum
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10

All you'll end up with is no customer at all ! :^D

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    Jinm theres already rulesets in the game that prevent build mode. Ship permissions arent that hard. Have you fooled with the rulesets recently?

Reaction score
    Jinm theres already rulesets in the game that prevent build mode. Ship permissions arent that hard. Have you fooled with the rulesets recently?
    Oh thats nice to know. No I didnt.

But that's really good to know because if build mode can be disabled you can do alot of roleplay stuff.

Is the build mode permission entity, player, sector, or server -wide?