• nah

Votes: 1 50.0%
    • yea

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • maybe

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    So i had this idea in my im sure to become infamous post yesterday that I DID FIX. But this seemed to me to be the best idea for the moment that could be considered and that is to change the way damage is dealt to blocks in the ship as a whole rather than individual blocks.

Repairing ships is annoying without a shipyard. This fixes that flaw.
    this \/ is your hull the center block is taking damage until it disappears
    [] [ ] []
    [] [x] []
    [] [ ] []

[] [] []
    [] . [] no more block resulting in hide and seekie block
    [] [] []

my idea
    damage is still dealt to center block by itself; however a server defined radius is spread out creating an hp and armor pool on each damaged block until MULTIPLE blocks break at the same time SO (visual representation below) each block has 10 hp and the beam is dealing 20 damage to the center block each shot
    Since there in this case is a radius of affected block (RAB) of 1 block the damage given to each surounding block is 2.2
    damage dealt/surrounding blocks= damage to each block in the pool 20/9=2.2
    shot 0
    [10] [10] [10]
    [10] [10] [10]
    [10] [10] [10]

shot 1
    [7.8] [7.8] [7.8]
    [7.8] [7.8] [7.8]
    [7.8] [7.8] [7.8]

shot 2
    [5.6] [5.6] [5.6]
    [5.6] [5.6] [5.6]
    [5.6] [5.6] [5.6]

etc until all have zero or negative hp and pop in unison.

yes this is similar to the already existing explosion effect computer BUT instead of a 1/8 dmg to surrounding blocks it just creates a micro hp pool meaning less blocks break but when they do break larger portions of the ships hull pop off. = no more single block fixing but rather larger area patching.
    Also the quick reboot and repair ship armor and hp at shops will be a simple duck and run pit stop increasing time doing other things rather than ship fixing after EVERY encounter with a station.

thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Intersting idea, its essentially what the explosive effect does on beams and cannons.
    What I would really like to see is larger weapon entities having more of a damage spread, for example a giant beam which can tear holes in a ships hull. Currently a giant beam will only create a pencil thin hole :/

Reaction score
    Intersting idea, its essentially what the explosive effect does on beams and cannons.
    What I would really like to see is larger weapon entities having more of a damage spread, for example a giant beam which can tear holes in a ships hull. Currently a giant beam will only create a pencil thin hole :/
    Correct you are :) the explosion could be a multiplayer to both DMG dealt and an extended radius with my idea so default could be 1 rad and each explosion effect module could add say; multiply the affected area by 1.3 so 10 explosion effect modules will add 13 to the affected radius with a DMG increase of base DMG x 1.2 per explosion effect module. Thus balancing the system. Explosion effect modules would then add a bit of damage but also add a larger radius. Thoughts? :)
    [doublepost=1469374811,1469374683][/doublepost]Either that or rather than the more modules you have to increase the power of your weapons you could have a slider like that of the thruster system now to apply the percentage of your ships power to the weapons with DMG radius and effect computer being part of the triangle slider system. This would allow for further tweaking of individual ship systems. Beam size could be a part of the slider as well for sacrificed DMG ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure of how nice it'd be in-game....I like complete deformability. Plus, how does this scale with the use of torch beams? Do you have to burn through the entire plate to get through a door? What if you're using a sniper beam meant to shoot one block at a time (I'm thinking against stations or their turrets)?

Perhaps this would be most useful for repair-beam-only. As in, large sections of the ship (Three-dimensional sections, extending backwards into the ship and making every part of the ship "accessible" from the exterior) are repaired together. No more hunting for damaged blocks with the astrotech beam.
    It'd vastly increase the usefulness of astrotech beams.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure of how nice it'd be in-game....I like complete deformability. Plus, how does this scale with the use of torch beams? Do you have to burn through the entire plate to get through a door? What if you're using a sniper beam meant to shoot one block at a time (I'm thinking against stations or their turrets)?

Perhaps this would be most useful for repair-beam-only. As in, large sections of the ship (Three-dimensional sections, extending backwards into the ship and making every part of the ship "accessible" from the exterior) are repaired together. No more hunting for damaged blocks with the astrotech beam.
    It'd vastly increase the usefulness of astrotech beams.
    I agree!
    However, even then astro tech beams wold still be pretty useless.
    Your ship would still be missing blocks, and unless you can spawn them back in using the tech beams theres no point healing the damaged ones because your gonna have to respawn the whole ship again (and melt the old one down)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is a mechanically worse version of explosive effect. No thanks.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A problem I see with this is that blocks could be destroyed without being actually hit.
    Shot 0:
    [10][10][10]
    [10][10][10]
    [10][10][10]

Shot 1:

Target:

[ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ]
    [x][ ][ ]

Damage:

[10][10][10]
    [ 5][ 5][10]