ship classification

Reaction score
    Hm, I thought I placed a 3 by 3 cube(forgot to let go of -) of them just the other day.

Reaction score
    In Starmade terms there isn't really too significant a difference in agility from a craft scaled like an Earthbound fighter jet and a ship with 50m or so dimensions.
    What do you mean by 'agility'? Because a 19m ship turns almost twice as fast as a 50M one.

As far as in game utility goes what are "realistic" scaled fighters even meant to be fighting other than each other?
    The entire reason you want them within a certain size is so you can carry more. So im not really sure why you think anyone would not employ them in swarms.

Hm, I thought I placed a 3 by 3 cube(forgot to let go of -) of them just the other day.
    yeah its not possible, otherwise every ship would be armored with faction blocks

Reaction score
    Both are so fast it doesn't really make that much difference practically to be honest, especially in AI hands (which is very likely to be the case). And nothing wrong with swarms, just that by realistic standards fighters aren't sent out in giant numbers with the expectation you're never going to see them again.

Reaction score
    Classifications are always going to differ for each server, for instance craftau has a bunch of 350m 60,000 mass "destroyers". But that last list would count them as dreadnoughts.

With the fleets and upgraded ai, when that finally comes out! Fighters/bombers will play a greater role.
    The thrust mechanic has changed the game enough for them to have a use but the ai must be smart enough to stay to either the sides or back of their target to stay alive. Staying out of the main frontal fire arc, the fighters can deal their damage where only turrets and point defense can see them.

Also having multiple ships in engagements means the placement of turrets and their firing arcs may have to be a little bit more thought out, this will also hopefully get people to pilot smaller ships in favor of more ships

Reaction score
    The two are tied together, and overall, volume isn't a highly useful stat.
    You are correct they are tied. They are not however the same.

If you restrict mass then volume will fluctuate 2-3X between similar mass ships. If you restrict volume then mass will probably approach the maximum

Which is why this exercise is more or less doomed to fail. You'd have to agree on restricting both

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    personll< i likw the homeworld classifications. though not applicable to starmade. neither dimensions nor mass i consider a good foundation to start classifications. the physics should dictate how stuff scales to each other. Since any damage below 2500 EHP does not break blocks ... that is the lowest end for damage so fighters should at least have their 10k-20k DPS meaning at least 150 blocks total weapons (primary secondary and effect combined) to somehow become even usefull in battle. Now If that is the case and you define a fighter being the most agile fastest craft around you will end up with something around 130k e/s to just power the guns firing overdrive at 50% and thrust at least a 2,5:1 Thrust to mass ratio. So probably you will end up like me with some 400 mass ships and these are fighters by the definition the smallest still eligible craft also being the most agile of the fleet. so taking these numbers a corvet is supposed to take down a fighter in a few hits. now these fighters have like some crushing 150k systems hp ... Well Corvets probably will end up bearing weapons of around 2 k blocks to make that happen... -> we might probably end up in the 5k mass range.
    Ok next in the homeworld universe are frigates... the first crafts which hyperjump on their own... well every starmadeship should have space for a computer and a module if oyu ask me... and frigates are well against corvets not so much against fighters still they can hit them...
    but to bring down corvets effectively we just ended up on some 50k block weapon systems...
    I think you get where this is going...
    Now taking these numbers a homeworld battle cruiser bringing the homeworld balancing to starmade would probably end up being around 8 km long and over a million mass heavy. The mothership would probably fill a few sectors.

So i don't care about that classification anymore i am just goign to build starmade ships and oh well...