Ship Class Licensing

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    So I am not sure if this has been suggested before or not, though I have searched a bit, and didn't find anything. My idea would be for there to be ship class license system for various ship sizes and functions that will need to be purchased from the Trade Guild for credits in order to make your ship legit. They wouldn't be required to build the ship, however, ships without license would be considered Pirates and shot out of the sky by the trade stations and bounty hunters. They could just avoid TG controlled areas with their ships that lack the proper paper work but once trade routes begin any TG trade ship on random routes that scan a nearby ship without a license can contact the ship and notify the pilot that the authorities are inbound to their current location. The license could be placed in the core and the status of the license could be revealed by scanning a ship. I think this would create an effective credit sink that would help reduce gigantism, by making the massive ships not only take resources but credits as well. It will also stimulate the economy because people will have to earn the credits needed to get the credentials their ships need to operate in galactic civilization. Its just a thought but I can see how people would not like this.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    "Papers" should be something you add to your faction block IMO.

That being said, anything more than license by mass would be a logistical nightmare (IMHO) to code into the game with all the possible size, weapon, function, etc combos possible. Plus tweaking a ship would require new papers ... yuk.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    +1 for expanded goverment.

When do we need to have background checks for the purchasing of handheld lethal laser weaponry that comes with a 24 hour "cool off" period?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem here is...what sizes?
    The devs have made it clear that they will not enforce any sort of class system. As far as game code and mechanics are concerned there are no such things as fighter, frigates, or cruisers. And there never will be. So licensing ships based on size isn't going to happen either.

OTH, anything else is pretty much fair game. I can see a license for cannons, ion effects, manufacturing complexes or shipyards. I just don't particularly agree with the idea, I don't see the need or point. The Trade Guild is just one faction, not the lead faction or rulers of the galaxy.

I don't particularly object to it either.

Reaction score
    The idea doesnt suit the game sorry, it cuts into the freedom of design that the devs want, as it was said above devs dont want to make a class system.

However a trading license could suit, could be a trading guild only item and give a small discount for trading guild shops only.

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How much credits for a license for a I-can-wipe-out-the-entire-trade-guild-fleet class ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The problem here is...what sizes?
    The devs have made it clear that they will not enforce any sort of class system. As far as game code and mechanics are concerned there are no such things as fighter, frigates, or cruisers. And there never will be. So licensing ships based on size isn't going to happen either.

OTH, anything else is pretty much fair game. I can see a license for cannons, ion effects, manufacturing complexes or shipyards. I just don't particularly agree with the idea, I don't see the need or point. The Trade Guild is just one faction, not the lead faction or rulers of the galaxy.

I don't particularly object to it either.
    Sizes would have to be worked out, but they could be set in the server config allowing everyone to get the game play they are looking for. The only reason why I suggested this is to attempt to create an economic intensive to use smaller ships, which exists in the real world. Otherwise I really don't see them being anything other than insignificant in faction combat in a game that pushes you to go big because its so damn easy. I only used the trade guild as an example because its the only one I know is going to be in the game, I know there will be more.

The idea doesnt suit the game sorry, it cuts into the freedom of design that the devs want, as it was said above devs dont want to make a class system.

However a trading license could suit, could be a trading guild only item and give a small discount for trading guild shops only.
    Creative mode isn't going anywhere. You can design to your hearts content in single player and in a game using the license system. The only thing this would do is make it take longer to get a capital ship and introduce more dynamic game play when not getting one because you will have to be on your guard.

Reaction score
    Creative mode isn't going anywhere. You can design to your hearts content in single player and in a game using the license system. The only thing this would do is make it take longer to get a capital ship and introduce more dynamic game play when not getting one because you will have to be on your guard.
    your still limiting play, if you want it to take longer to get a capital ship then change the rate of resource drop. The server im playing on has done this and there isnt many over the 300m mark, usually if you get to that size you put a flag on your head!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    i don't think a class system is viable.

But a system you could define role license could make for an interesting gameplay.
    imagine you could define a set of criteria (ratio weapon system/number of bloc, forbidden bloc type, limited storage quantity and type, number/type/ratio crew quarter/total mass, number of passenger ) for license profile you could create interesting profile :
    • a profile with no weapon allowed = civilian shop
    • a profile with low weapon ratio, an large quantity of transported block allowed and a list of the allowed type of blocs allowed= a freighter with possibility to be a smuggler by transporting forbidden items
    • a profile with low weapon ratio, high crew quarter ratio, high number of passenger = transporter
    • a profile with high weapon ratio, two or three cell quarter, two or three passenger = bounty hunter ship
    the license could be a meta item you store on a slot in the scanner computer.
    To get a license you would dock on a shipyard which would scan your ship and propose a list of purchasable license according to your ship characteristics.

Of course factions could define licenses available on their territories or allowed licenses from other factions

Reaction score
    It won't work if you see it as a class system. However, I would like it if you get paperwork that gives it the title of fighter or frigate, without assigning it a class.

Reaction score
    If anyone played X3, there was something like this where certain types of ships were not allowed in core sectors below a certain racial rep level. If that's what you were aiming for OP, I think that would make sense logically. Who'd be ok with some random guy jumping into your sector with a battleship?

Only problem is there are no classes in SM. So not really sure how you could even make this work