Ship Building Techniques and Tricks, Post them Here!!!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Note:I'm not sure if this should be in the General or Shipyard categories as shipyard is full of ships and not much talk about techniques if this does belong in the shipyard category please move it.

2nd Note: sorry forgot to mention this but I mean techniques for functionality not for aesthetics
    I was trying to look around for ship building techniques that included the new systems and surprisingly I couldn't find much or any!
    So I'm asking everyone to post their techniques that they use when they are building systems in a certain type of ship or just in general etc and I will add sections to this post and Include each technique labeled clearly and if there's quite a lot I'll make a index.

Thank you for your time.
    -Kondroid

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Here's a detailed set of instructions on how I build smaller ships. You could build either way, internals first then cover in hull, or hull first then fill it with the same layout to fit. Effective systems with the current build (v0.1595).

MikeLand Wiki.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Layeeeeeeers!

In all seriousness, layers and depth REALLY make ships look good. Mix that in with some colors that go well together (I use black, brown, and mostly grey as lowest layers, then have really big contrast with colored armor plating)

What I mean with layers, is not actual layers. More like, the illusion of a depth that is actually there. Is that somewhat understandable?

A picture says a thousand words.

A freighter design, with lots of mechanical bits below armor plating that has a clear separation.

- Did I mention details yet? No? Well, now I did. Detail the crap out of every non-armored part. That's what I do :p

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Here's a tip. Don't try to squeeze every last bit of optimization out of a ship, and don't let systems turn your ship into a decorated box. In the end, it makes thing better for everyone, at least as long as people follow that tip.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    first I build my insides first, power first, weapons, and the means to work them. I keep I idea on where my rooms and such will go so once I am done with the ship main systems I make my rooms. From there I place my shield and recharge blocks, and I try to increase the thrusters to a good amount that matches its size and goal. I mold the ships frame with these blocks, mainly shield blocks to form the ships shape. Once that is done I add my base hull. On the way I try and have ideas on good concepts of how the ship will look and once in done with the base hill I go into detail. You don't have to have wedges everywhere or lights. Simple is best at times. Back to the basics I try and have my power layout the outline of my ship on the x and y plane and I try to have the longest possible line I can make power blocks so I gain the most power with my ship.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Now we need a guide for big ships.

I mean ships for RP, not systems surrounded by a thin hull.

Reaction score
    Making a decently sized ship, but not a big enough one for an interior? Let me help you:
    Start with a this:
    (H=hulll O=open space C=core)
    H H H H H H
    C O O O O O
    H H H H H H

Then add this on the back (where the open end is)

H H H
    O O H
    H O H
    H O H*
    *if you need more vertical room

Fill the bottom hole from top to bottom with plexdoors (If you have enough)

Build you ship's systems around it, have them roughly ship-shaped, cover in hull, decorate. Use a random block as filling, even if its just rock. I use power storage blocks. Do shield( recharger)s while filling instead of while doing systems Saves lots of space and rocks.

Also, these are made with function, rather than aesthetics in mind. But heres a function tip: Hulls only make a difference if LAYERED.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    From what I know and seen, it doesn't matter if it is layered, its the amount of blocks from your core to the outside of your ship against the weapon system that is attacking you. Distance vs block removal.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It may help against missiles or pulse weaponry. But even that only on big ships.

The only thing that really matters (vs punch through and piercing) is to have 4-5 layers basic hull and a fifth heavy armour once a ship can afford such a thick hull.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    offense is the best defense, that is what I found out lol

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, but offensive power = (TTL - reaction time) * damage
    TTL= time to live to even deal damage.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    dint forget to factor in the BAS.. Big ass ship. Normally the bigger one wins if its build correctly and piloted well.

Reaction score
    Make the ship pew stuff. Go Weapons, Power, Shields (shaping), Thrusters, Shields (fine angles and shyt), Hull(If you want it)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    It pains me that there are so many people who prefer doomcubes over stuff that doesn't simply burn your eyes from your sockets.

Also, I find it ridiculous you have to make a titan to be somewhat popular.
    Smaller spacecraft are very hard for me to do; trying to achieve both good aesthetics and a balanced hull/systems ratio without adding 20-2,000 meters to any dimension takes an eye for design that I don't often have.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Smaller spacecraft are very hard for me to do; trying to achieve both good aesthetics and a balanced hull/systems ratio without adding 20-2,000 meters to any dimension takes an eye for design that I don't often have.
    Well, I always focus on aesthetics. I care very little for systems. So my ships are quite weak in comparison to other's. :\

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    It pains me that there are so many people who believe it is acceptable to ridicule the ships of others who prefer min-maxing (which typically ends with cubic shapes) while no-one makes fun of poorly-engineered, weak-sauce spess-planes.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It pains me that there are so many people who believe it is acceptable to ridicule the ships of others who prefer min-maxing (which typically ends with cubic shapes) while no-one makes fun of poorly-engineered, weak-sauce spess-planes.
    We just want to offend neither newbies nor noobs nor old designs.