Ship Building Techniques and Tricks, Post them Here!!!!

Reaction score
    Not quite, since you also have to "put those high numbers" in a non-cube ship. Which is actually much harder. Basically, everything is harer.
    I just don't see it. In the end both types of ship builders have a certain volume to work with, the details of that volume not mattering much. I don't build cubes (by my own definition, others may well say I do), but if I did the only difference between then and now would be the time spent on the exterior. Performance differences would be small because power and weapons can be snaked and most else placement doesn't matter much.

The only real difference is if you decide to devote that internal volume and mass to something other than the ship's performance. I won't fault anyone for that, but I won't take flack for not doing so myself, nor do i think it right to be vilified for it.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I just don't see it. In the end both types of ship builders have a certain volume to work with, the details of that volume not mattering much. I don't build cubes (by my own definition, others may well say I do), but if I did the only difference between then and now would be the time spent on the exterior. Performance differences would be small because power and weapons can be snaked and most else placement doesn't matter much.

The only real difference is if you decide to devote that internal volume and mass to something other than the ship's performance. I won't fault anyone for that, but I won't take flack for not doing so myself, nor do i think it right to be vilified for it.
    Well, I don't believe that you would take flak for that. I, like many others, just hate it when a ship has CLEARLY been tossed up without any effort in a brick-ish shape simply to be able to obliterate other people. These things just turn out to be eyesores.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I tend to make a cross section of my main systems and interior, and then extrude it outwards and add things like weapons on as I go along. I also came up with a great and effective way to protect bigger ships. For my outer hull, I make it three layers thick: Hardened Hull, then shield capacitor, then hardened hull. Looks great on the interior and exterior, and you still get some functionality out of it.

EDIT: I just noticed the Doom-Cube Flame War in this thread, so I'll add my idea.

Every kind of ship has weaknesses and strengths:

Aesthetics Focus: Overly Styled Ships suffer from a lack of overall systems, and are overall weak for their mass. That being said once the shields wear down, it takes a bit longer for vital systems to be hit. Also, weapons tend to be more powerful on these kinds of ships.

Functionality Focus: Death Cubes are easily overpowered by ships of larger mass. Also, once they lose their shields, anything you hit is a vital system, and the ship is overall easier to wear down, kill, and salvage. They also have no room for expansion. (Reason why all death cubes before the shield update are now 100% useless) They are though, strong for their mass and will overwhelm any ship of lesser mass provided they have turrets.

The Average: A mix between systems and aesthetics actually proves best. They usually have moderate shields and mid-heavy weaponry for their mass. They have more protection of vital systems than death cubes, and also have room for expansion. They are aesthetically pleasing while being quite powerful. They are an overall average representation of their mass, and will overwhelm ships of small mass while still having a chance against ships of higher mass.

The Massive: Slow, hard to maneuver. High power weapons and lot's of shields. Turrets are a must against smaller ships. (New pulse weapons unbalance this a bit, allowing massive ships to inflict high damage over a large area)

The Tiny: Easily outmaneuvers larger ships, possible cloaking device added bonus. Low-Medium power Weapons. Obliterated by turrets of larger ships, if non exist, than they will eventually overwhelm it.

I think it's obvious right now that I like the game the way it is. (Can't wait for FTL Drive though!) I do also remember someone saying that stopping people from making certain things in a sandbox style game is a REALLY bad idea, and I agree with that. I don't personally build Functionality Focus ships, I stick closer to average while having slightly above average functionality.

Hope you guys see my point of view!
    -Cheers! :D

Last edited:

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    At what ship size does it start making sense to layer hull?
    I'd say from experience that it relies on a lot of factors, most of which I shall forget while attempting to type this reply. Here goes anyways:

Having thicker armor or a heavily plated hull takes a rather specific set of factors in order to become useful. Namely, one has to realize that armor is very much so a temporary setback to your destruction and not a solution to it. Hardened hull blocks are only useful when you're already losing them. They don't scale very well either. Or at all. Well duh, but that has some interesting implications that I should get into sometime later.

Imagine that instead of putting down a block of hardened hull, you were placing down twenty decorative blocks in a line. That's essentially the effect that it has. Seems like a good way to soak up some extra fire, right? Not quite yet. Hull armor is rarely used for a reason. Reason being that you not only have to make sure that it's regional protection is going to be used and not ignored/flanked, but you also have to compare it to the usefulness of both the extra shield HP and the HP from the shield block itself. Unless you're absolutely sure that something is going to be pounding on that specific block of your ship, you shouldn't reinforce it's armor with more layers.

That doesn't make it useless, though. As a wise man once said, "fights are pretty evenly split between shield phase and block phase." and while there are weapon effects that are direct counters to shielding, the only effect that finds itself having no trouble with armored hull plating is piercing... Which is not the most common. Strategic placement of heavily armored blocks around important objectives within your ship can add quite a few seconds to your life in combat; cores, computers, AI modules and the like. Due to these objective's close proximity in a smaller craft, it is often wise to use hardened hull rather than regular hull on your fighters and frigates, with maybe a few extra blocks near your ship's core.

Hope that helps!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    For good looking details I'd advise you to actually recreate something that you'd expect to see on a spaceship. For example, Dalmont's station has four retractable panels at the botom. The hinges are really well made and look like they could actually move, which looks much better than just some random ribs or other stuff like that.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What about explosive effects on rapid-fire beams or cannons?
    Last time I checked it they had normal armour efficiency.

Reaction score
    Defense

Between hull and shield blocks, hull blocks have essentially 400 hp per block. However, this only protects if the hull is the part that is hit. Shield blocks are able to protect all round. Hull is easily destroyed by missiles, but missiles don't do very good DPS for shields. Shields are easily defeated by Overdrive and Ion. You'll need a balance of both to survive.

Weapons

You'll need to chose what role your ships wants to play. Taking down a ship is first the shields, then the hull. The problem with a highly specialized role is that you'll need help to do other things. Load your ships with some shield killers, preferably Ion or Overdrive. Then put some things to kill the hull, or go through it. My Favorite is AMC with Pulse and Punch to go straight for the core.

Anti-Fighter weapons and turrets are fairly important. Classic Stop/Pull Beam is powerful, but Beam has a limited range, and long range cannot rapid fire. Passive Explosive will also ignore this. Swarm Missiles will likely work, or not if they target they wrong things as they do. Pulse with the largest range (Beam and Explosive slave) will likely kill any fighter, but they may damage you own turrets, so it's best to have these manually activated and your turrets well shielded. Have all of these and you are protected from pesky bombers and fighters. Maybe.

Power

I design my ships to have redundancy power generators, meaning they are less energy and block efficient at the start of the battle, but they are able to perform well when taking block damage. If you truly believe your ship's shield are invincible, or your power cross will never get hit, be my guest.

Thrust

Thrust is important because it gives you both offensive and defensive capabilities. You can either have a slow heaving ship with massive shields, or have a fast ship with minimal shields. I prefer to have a balance of both for maximum efficiency due to diminishing returns. However, at some point, some ships don't need a good thrust to weight due to the pointlessness of it.I lean towards speed for smaller ships and shields for larger ships due to turning speed, but I try to keep somewhat it balanced.

Offense or Defense?

Honestly, before thinking about this, I thought that having more weapons than an enemy ship would always be better. I though about it, and I realized I never thought this through completely. This is and important thing to consider as weapons scales linearly and shields, hull, and thrusters do not. However, before you make death cubes of power and AMC, consider this: If you do not have shields, you immediately lose to hull eaters and my favorite, AMC with Pulse and Punch. Instant Core Overheat.

If you have shields, you can escape, get help, and turn it around. Shields work well in fleets. If you need to escape, you can to faction home, you can. If you do not have shields, you will immediately lose if you do not get the first strike. If you have hull, you will not die so easily from AMC and Beam weapons at odd angles.

Purely offensive ships should be support. The shield, thrust, and hull ships should be frontline. If the purely defensive ship has low shields, it can take turns with the fleet.

Odds are, fleets aren't organized, you aren't going to get any help. But at least you can have a chance to fight back. With shields, you have, at the very least, a chance to turn things around. First strike is important, but the enemy's first strike becomes less deadly if shields are invested in. So have enough shields so you don't instantly die from ambushes. That's just embarrassing.

Cloaking and Radar Jamming

Cloaking is only good for scouts. It drains way to much power to use it on an attack vessel. You decloak if you even try to attack, so it only really works for burst damage like bombers. A normal, well shielded, and agile bomber will do this better though.

Jamming, on the other hand, is amazing if your ships has the power and mobility. It prevents lock-on missiles from obliterating you, and it prevents the enemy from knowing your exact distance. Beam has a range of 500m and AMC has a range of 1000m. Long range beam has 1000m, and I haven't tested long range AMC. If you are going around your enemy in circles, you can use this to stay behind them the entire time too. People often rely on their compass to help them find the enemy, so this should be fun to annoy them. With overdrive, you'll move faster than they can turn.

New Systems

Sacrifice some of your ship's current shield blocks for Ion. It doesn't make you invincible.
    Hull hardening with Punch is very powerful with Hardened Hull. Hull hardening only works with hull.
    Explosive passive prevents death by Pull/Stop Beam. Uncommon threat, but very common and lethal if a fighter.

Piercing and EMP Passive are not as useful because they are uncommon threats.
    Currently, Push, Pull, and Stop passives are useless. For now at least.

I hope some of this helps!