• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Klingon battlecruisers and romulan warbirds are also dedicated warships. But apparently the defiant is tankyer than them. Also, the defiant has nothing at all like ablative armor as shown in voyager. And anyway, "ablative armor" == armor.
    The Romulans should definitely have had better showings. The D'derix-Class that's seen in TNG is something like 1.3 km long. The Klingons, eh, not so much. Warlike culture but they have no respect for scientists, which leads to a slower technological growth.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well. I made an explosive console... :confused:

It was fun but totally ineffective. Warheads REALLY need a buff.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well. I made an explosive console... :confused:

It was fun but totally ineffective. Warheads REALLY need a buff.
    Link that shit to a sensor block on the shields, lol, call it electronic feedback. "We're taking too much incoming fire! She shields can't handle it!" *console explodes*

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Link that shit to a sensor block on the shields, lol, call it electronic feedback. "We're taking too much incoming fire! She shields can't handle it!" *console explodes*
    I gave her all I've got Captain, but it's no use... I tried auxiliary power, rerouting warp power to the shields, initiating a couple of warp core breeches... Hell, I even activated the self destruct sequence; just to be sure.

No matter what I tried, nothing worked...

ALL the red shirts survived...
    :mad:

Reactions: Zekester81

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One thing I have noticed repeatedly over the past couple of years: This game is NOT optimized for Star Trek. It's just not. Just like the game is not optimized for Ye Olde Navy Broadside weapons. Likewise, the most vocal community members are not geared toward Star Trek. Dainty Star Trek ships just don't seem to have much of a place in the Starmade metaverse, at least not right now, hull recreations notwithstanding.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The Romulans should definitely have had better showings. The D'derix-Class that's seen in TNG is something like 1.3 km long. The Klingons, eh, not so much. Warlike culture but they have no respect for scientists, which leads to a slower technological growth.
    Well, they seem to be able to keep up well enough. And anyway, in the scene I'm thinking of, they had ambassadors and galaxies getting killed in one hit while on the defiant its "shields down to seventy percent" Ect. I mean, I know the ambassador is a bit old and neither of them is a dedicated warship, but their both at least five times the size of the defiant. They should be able to take at least as many hits.

Reaction score
    Well, the capabilities of Star Trek ships vary WILDLY depending on what the writers need to happen. The Defiant had a special attribute that the Klingon and Romulan warships didn't, it's a very special and rare system called "Designated Badass ship for Main Characters". Still being tankier than purpose built capital warships was odd.

I didn't mind it being tankier than larger federation ships that were essentially crew intensive armed science ships. It be kinda of like being mad a PVP destroyer can tear up a much larger RP exploration vessel. I still think multiple Starfleet admirals should have been court martialled for tossing 30 armed science vessels in front of a Borg cube at Wolf 359 with civilian family and crew still aboard. Just 'cause they're smart doesn't mean they're not also really dumb when it comes to certain ideological beliefs and how they interact with the rest of the Alpha Quadrant :p

Still, the Federation arguably has advanced the furthest up the tech tree of that particular 4x game, so it doesn't surprise me that when they finally got around to building an actual warship, they built a very nasty one.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, they seem to be able to keep up well enough. And anyway, in the scene I'm thinking of, they had ambassadors and galaxies getting killed in one hit while on the defiant its "shields down to seventy percent" Ect. I mean, I know the ambassador is a bit old and neither of them is a dedicated warship, but their both at least five times the size of the defiant. They should be able to take at least as many hits.
    Oh, that. Yeah... that happened ( I got nothing). What really gets me is when they're like:

*Enemy shoots*

"SHIELDS AT 40%!!1!"

*Shoots again*

"SHIELDS AT... er 39%?"

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    reminder that bubble shields used to be in the game and reminder that they were absolutely awful

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    reminder that bubble shields used to be in the game and reminder that they were absolutely awful
    Ummmm... when was that?

I've been playing StarMade since ship blocks looked like this
    Fighter.jpg Powered Armor.jpg Battleship Aft.jpg

I've never seen anything resembling a bubble shield.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Change your poll options and add more discussion on how to make bubble shields work. You'll get more votes and constructive feedback.

Right now there's not much for people to vote/comment on. Hence; thread derailment.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Bubble shields were the first iteration of shields and they lasted like a month. Think early 2013.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, the capabilities of Star Trek ships vary WILDLY depending on what the writers need to happen. The Defiant had a special attribute that the Klingon and Romulan warships didn't, it's a very special and rare system called "Designated Badass ship for Main Characters". Still being tankier than purpose built capital warships was odd.

I didn't mind it being tankier than larger federation ships that were essentially crew intensive armed science ships. It be kinda of like being mad a PVP destroyer can tear up a much larger RP exploration vessel. I still think multiple Starfleet admirals should have been court martialled for tossing 30 armed science vessels in front of a Borg cube at Wolf 359 with civilian family and crew still aboard. Just 'cause they're smart doesn't mean they're not also really dumb when it comes to certain ideological beliefs and how they interact with the rest of the Alpha Quadrant :p

Still, the Federation arguably has advanced the furthest up the tech tree of that particular 4x game, so it doesn't surprise me that when they finally got around to building an actual warship, they built a very nasty one.
    Things various people in the federation should be court martialed and sent to the gulag for:

-Exploding consoles

-not having and dedicated warships despite everyone wanting to kill them

-the holodeck

-the appalling training standards among "security" personell

-not having a contingent of MACO's on every ship

-dissolving MACO

-seriously these guys were the most useful thing since tachyons.

-not having any pockets in their uniforms

-how the fuck do you aim those TNG phasers, they have no sights

-why don't the member planets of the federation have their own fleets? Give them their fleets back!

-making their ships out of tinfoil.

I could spend the rest of the day listing places where the federation has screwed up real bad, but you get the idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Pretty sure I played before you and I don't remember bubble shields being in the game. Is this a meme?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Things various people in the federation should be court martialed and sent to the gulag for:

-Exploding consoles

-not having and dedicated warships despite everyone wanting to kill them

-the holodeck

-the appalling training standards among "security" personell

-not having a contingent of MACO's on every ship

-dissolving MACO

-seriously these guys were the most useful thing since tachyons.

-not having any pockets in their uniforms

-how the fuck do you aim those TNG phasers, they have no sights

-why don't the member planets of the federation have their own fleets? Give them their fleets back!

-making their ships out of tinfoil.

I could spend the rest of the day listing places where the federation has screwed up real bad, but you get the idea.
    Agreed. I like to think of my faction; The United Star Axis, as what the Federation would be like if they actually had a real economy and didn't suck.

Instead of...
    - exploding consoles, we use tamper-retaliatory security consoles.
    - not having and dedicated warships, we lack dedicated science vessels. We refit our warships with scientific gear.
    - the holodeck, we have the battle room and teh proving grounds.
    - the "security" personell, we have actual space marines; trained to operate 6 meter tall power armor with 30mm gauss rifles.
    - not having a contingent of MACO's on every ship, all our crew are combat trained or they are 'retired' from service.
    - dissolving MACO, we instated the USASF (United Star Axis Special Forces).
    - not having any pockets in uniforms, we use tactical magazine pouches on our armored encounter suits.
    - phasers, with no sights, we use head-worn targeting computers; synchronized with a user's weapons.
    - planets with no fleets, we have orbital defense gun, heavy missile batteries, fighter squadrons and fleet patrols
    - ships made out of tinfoil, we use a 2 layer composite armor consisting of titanium, ceramic and ballistic grade carbon fiber.