shields

Bubble shields, More defensive systems, Bubble shields suck

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    Diffrent types of shields like bubble shields. I would like to do Star Trek ships and see how it could do different sheiks sistemd like the bubble be the main shield and maybe the old shields as the point defense shield. I just want more defense in the game--- (new) read below

1. pesce rocks
      I don't understand why you people don't like bubble shields if you believe in the devs they can do it and not effect performance if you people support I'm sure we can make this work. 1. Heres how it would work they use the same hexagon grid and what you do is use a new block called a shield generator in which you can pic the size of the shield around your ship. 2. You would get to place recharge's and capacitor's (new versions of source). Bubble shield could be set up to be seen when a weapon is or missile, cannon is 20 or 10 blocks away from the shield setting up and turning on. + More

#19 minutes ago
      + Quote Reply

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is that it? No arguments for what role they fill that current shields do not? Advantages, disadvantages? How they might be implemented?

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    So... forcefields in a circular shape around your ship, right?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This.

This is why we needed the council... back when this was 90% of the suggestions...

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We just need a sticky that says "THERE WILL NEVER BE BUBBLE SHIELDS. EVER." Just print it at the top of the suggestions subforum in big red letters.

Not that that will stop suggestions like this, but it might slow them down.....

Reaction score
    Can someone else give a reason why they're bad? I'm too lazy. But give him a break.
    [doublepost=1475788043,1475787902][/doublepost]Fine. We had bubble shields a while back, but they looked kinda "eh" and were extremely laggy. I've thought of making big bubbles around my ships of glass doors and area triggers so normal ships could pass through but shots couldn't.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I built blue forcefieldd around one ship and they wotked a treat, but took ages to raise/drop. Plus added tons of mass. If they had no mass it would be better.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Incoming abstract thought...

You could always build a bubble shield using force fields. I've done something similar with small fighters/mechs.

Pros:
    - In the event of conventional shield loss, it keeps the missile blast radius away from your ship.
    - You can turn it on and off using logic and make some really cool Trek alert sequences. (Shields up, red alert!)
    - (untested theory) It might reduce or negate sun damage for a while.

Cons:
    - It would add a substantial amount of mass to your ship.
    - Ellipses and spheres can be a royal pain to build.
    - Will block your 'phasor array' turrets.
    - Does not regenerate like conventional shields.

I don't see an actual need for bubble shields but I wouldn't complain if Schine was able to put them into the game without killing performance. On the other hand, I do have some ideas on practical functions, advantages and disadvantages for this kind of shield using current game mechanics if anyone wants to hear.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Ironically, only the 24th century (TNG, DS9, VOY) showed the use of bubble shields.

The Cinematic universe knew better... ;)

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ah, startrek and it's plot holes and total inconsistencies. On minuet it's bubble shields, the next they're flat to the surface of the hull. Anyone remember the episode of voyager when they had a perhaps 4 meter wide boarding shuttle lodged in their cargo bay, and apparently removing it could cause massive structural failure if they removed it wrong?

Then we have ships in TMP and TNG era movies getting way bigger holes in them and continuing to function. And then there was Enterprise getting totally fucked at the end of the Xindi incident and still more or less working. So I guess intrepids are just made out of tin foil.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Ah, startrek and it's plot holes and total inconsistencies. On minuet it's bubble shields, the next they're flat to the surface of the hull. Anyone remember the episode of voyager when they had a perhaps 4 meter wide boarding shuttle lodged in their cargo bay, and apparently removing it could cause massive structural failure if they removed it wrong?

Then we have ships in TMP and TNG era movies getting way bigger holes in them and continuing to function. And then there was Enterprise getting totally fucked at the end of the Xindi incident and still more or less working. So I guess intrepids are just made out of tin foil.
    Don't even get me started on DS9 where shields only work on the Defiant and the Dominion Flagship...

As for the Intrepid class. That ship is protected by ablative plot armor and equipped with self-replicating photon topedoes...

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Don't even get me started on DS9 where shields only work on the Defiant and the Dominion Flagship...

As for the Intrepid class. That ship is protected by ablative plot armor and equipped with self-replicating photon topedoes...
    Dominion weapons ignore shields and building torpedos isn't a magical thing either. What bothers me is how many crewmen were killed by exploding consoles. Who the fuck builds explosive consoles?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Don't forget self-replicating shuttles and a new kind of particle to shoot from the main deflector dish for every episode. I really wonder if star trek writers watch star trek sometimes.

Also, defiant OP, instakills Galor-class ships with magic pulse-phasers of doom.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Don't forget self-replicating shuttles and a new kind of particle to shoot from the main deflector dish for every episode. I really wonder if star trek writers watch star trek sometimes.

Also, defiant OP, instakills Galor-class ships with magic pulse-phasers of doom.
    They can rebuild shuttles, it's not rocket science. Well, it actually is, but that's child's play for them.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They can rebuild shuttles, it's not rocket science. Well, it actually is, but that's child's play for them.
    But they specifically said that they have no way of getting new photon torpedoes. Making a torpedo is much simpler than making a new shuttle. Not to mention that they had a whole episode of scrounging hard to get parts when they made the delta flyer, then they lose like six of them and replace them no problem.

Also, dominion weapons could only pierce shields very early on in the war. Everyone pretty quickly figured out some magic star trek solution for that. Except for ships five times the size of the defiant were getting one shot by things that the defiant was shrugging of dozens of hits from.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Dominion weapons ignore shields and building torpedos isn't a magical thing either. What bothers me is how many crewmen were killed by exploding consoles. Who the fuck builds explosive consoles?
    Exploding consoles...

Hmm... console block + warhead block + Auxiliary power block... Umm I'll be right back...
    :rolleyes:

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    But they specifically said that they have no way of getting new photon torpedoes. Making a torpedo is much simpler than making a new shuttle. Not to mention that they had a whole episode of scrounging hard to get parts when they made the delta flyer, then they lose like six of them and replace them no problem.

Also, dominion weapons could only pierce shields very early on in the war. Everyone pretty quickly figured out some magic star trek solution for that. Except for ships five times the size of the defiant were getting one shot by things that the defiant was shrugging of dozens of hits from.
    Apparently they found a way to build torpedos, maybe with some Borg tech. The Defiant is a dedicated warship with ablative armor, and originally built for fighting the Borg.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Apparently they found a way to build torpedos, maybe with some Borg tech. The Defiant is a dedicated warship with ablative armor, and originally built for fighting the Borg.
    Klingon battlecruisers and romulan warbirds are also dedicated warships. But apparently the defiant is tankyer than them. Also, the defiant has nothing at all like ablative armor as shown in voyager. And anyway, "ablative armor" == armor.