Shields change.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Alternatively, have the shield GUI be directional to where the ship is pointing - Front, Sides, or Back so fighters could actually do more damage if they shot ships from the back... while bigger ships brawl on from the front.

Additionally, you could even have larger ships (more shield blocks) take longer to change shield direction, while smaller ships can change
    shield direction instantly, resulting in actual dog fighting rather than slapstick combat.

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Doesn't defensive ion (ion computer + modules not attached to a weapon) already do this at the cost of energy?
    Ion is getting removed/changed defensively.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Shields are currently in pretty good shape, IMO. The dynamic between large and small ships is far more damaged by maneuverability issues than shield issues. I've tested piloted (vs AI) fast fighters against defense stations in SP with minimal lag and the only shields they even need are 25-50k to soak up stray hits because nothing they actively evade can hit them 95% of the time. Unless lag. You can very easily dodge in through capital firing arcs, out running missiles and pop off a few missiles or torpedoes at the target (MPI/MPP weapons are very nice at this scale) and then flit away at high speed until your weapon recharges. Repeatedly. This can't kill a capital ship or large station, but it can hurt a little. The problem is that this tactic is completely useless against PvP players right now because the oversized, over docked entities they employ make make clients stutter and the missile you thought you were evading you actually turned right into, or the game sees you approach their ship at speed then very prematurely teleports you somewhere random to avoid collisions.

Small craft don't need new shields. They need other ships to not cripple their maneuverability.

EDIT: I do think the original suggestion is interesting and could be made to work. More complexity and adaptability in shields would be nice to have. I just don't see it as the most effective way to address gameplay balance issues as they stand right now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zerefette

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wouldn't mind being able to exchange regen for damage mitigation. At the extremes you have shields unchanged and at the other 85-90% damage mitigation but virtually no regen to speak of.