Sexy Turret Competition

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So how long is this competition? A gigantic station sized turret laden statue is going to take quite a while to build... And my skills aren't even there yet...
    Considering its just for fun, with more of a stated purpose of helping fill the turret category and getting people who aren't good at making their own turrets some options/examples, I'm figuring it will last... as long as people keep posting to it.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    Apparently I'm not the only one posting turrets built before set date, (auto disqualified that is)
    I must ask is this rule necessary? Folks seem to not get it anyways

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Apparently I'm not the only one posting turrets built before set date, (auto disqualified that is)
    Im just here to show off :p

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Again, the intent was to help fill the new turret category with blueprints. It doesn't help fill the Community Content if you just repost things that are already there.

You can put stuff up you built before then, just as long as you didn't upload it before we started. Make new stuff, put new stuff in CC, contribute to the community! Get builder badges!

starmade-screenshot-0020.png
    Rapid Dumbfire Explosive/EMP Missile Turret

15,000 dps Missile/Cannon split between two 7,500 dps barrels with secondary 2,160 EMPs (split into two 1,080 DPS barrels), and 10k shields.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    awesome i think the Goliath Turret will fit nicly on my nevest attemt at making a war ship... wonder how big it is :)
    [doublepost=1479233920,1479233865][/doublepost]can i have something confirmed.

Will the AI fire multiple weapons or only 1 of then? must they be the same type or ?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    awesome i think the Goliath Turret will fit nicly on my nevest attemt at making a war ship... wonder how big it is :)

Will the AI fire multiple weapons or only 1 of then? must they be the same type or ?
    They will fire all weapons, however aiming will be difficult on two different weapons with large range differences, outside of either seeking missiles.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

It can and will fire all weapons at the same time and will fire them as frequently as possible.

However it can only aim one at a time, which means if you have a beam and a cannon on one turret (instant hit beam vs. travel time cannon shot), it will either lead the shot for the cannon and miss the beam, aim the beam and miss the cannon, or more likely split the difference and miss them both.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It can and will fire all weapons at the same time and will fire them as frequently as possible.

However it can only aim one at a time, which means if you have a beam and a cannon on one turret (instant hit beam vs. travel time cannon shot), it will either lead the shot for the cannon and miss the beam, aim the beam and miss the cannon, or more likely split the difference and miss them both.
    This is the reason I have a main weapon for aiming and the other weapons are docked barrels. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The horrors of a turret that requires a ridiculous amount of power to fire!
    Tri-Beam Capital Turret

starmade-screenshot-0067.png

starmade-screenshot-0068.png

starmade-screenshot-0069.png

It takes 2mil+ e/sec and ~30mil capacity to operate, but affects a large area through all three 5x5 barrels, the center 3x3 on each barrel will destroy one advanced armor block per tick. One of the computers has ~40% ion effect, but its really meant to start peeling a target like a potato when their shields have dropped.

Reaction score
    Ok having seen some of the works of art created here I figure this is a good place to ask, I am trying to design a turret to fit an existing ship. I have 2 flat spots that will let me rotate a base that is 11x11 freely without collision issues. But cannot seem to build a barrel for it that will allow me to sustain fire for more than a few seconds.

The ship generates 800k per second and stores 4.3 million. Taking out systems to fit more power storage doesn't really fix the current issue because I still run dry and therefore never get to fire the big missiles because my turrets nom the power.

Any good budget weapon combos that are still reasonably effective?

Need to be able to work through about 2mil shield with 30k/sec regen to keep up with other ships in its class.. I would post pics but I'm back to being stuck on my phone for awhile

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Ok having seen some of the works of art created here I figure this is a good place to ask, I am trying to design a turret to fit an existing ship. I have 2 flat spots that will let me rotate a base that is 11x11 freely without collision issues. But cannot seem to build a barrel for it that will allow me to sustain fire for more than a few seconds.

The ship generates 800k per second and stores 4.3 million. Taking out systems to fit more power storage doesn't really fix the current issue because I still run dry and therefore never get to fire the big missiles because my turrets nom the power.

Need to be able to work through about 2mil shield with 30k/sec regen to keep up with other ships in its class.. I would post pics but I'm back to being stuck on my phone for awhile
    You have one of two possible problems. Either the weapon system you are building is so power demanding, that it uses more than your ships power regeneration is capable of. This could be the case if you built a large overdrive weapon. Or...

The other possibility is that you have some power generation in the barrel of your rapid fire weapon but it is insufficient to fire the weapon on it's own. I have recently encountered this issue myself in a turret build and consider it to be a massive bug. Sadly, my official bug report has gone utterly ignored and the respondents to the thread seem to think this is just the way the game is supposed to work. For a rapid fire weapon you apparently need to generate ALL of it's power in the barrel section or NONE of it's power in the barrel section. Anything else and the system will bug out.

I would suggest strip all the power generation out of the barrel and base and see if your ship can fire it on it's own. That or change the weapon system entirely to perhaps a cannon/beam that fires once every four seconds. Apparently for some reason I have yet to understand, such a weapon 'can' have some of it's power provided by barrel and base, and the rest if necessary from the ship itself.

(I would also append a note unrelated to the turret itself. Unless your ship is 'really' small, like under 1000K mass, there is really no reason it could not be built to have 2 million power generation per second. Half the trick to building effective combat ships is to give it the power it needs for the job.)

Guthris

Lord Commodore Horatio Solomon Guthris
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Silver 1

By the sound of the given starts were talking a sub 100 meter ship. Please post picture for reference.
    Taking down 2m shields with a single turret will get you in the realm of 10k weaponblock total requirements to realistically take down that amount in a short span of time. Refer to the turret used on the THI - Morax Class Experimental Corvette V1D3 our ship submission for Blood & Steel, it uses a powerstable self contained weapon mounted off the side of the ship. But as you can see its proportionally huge compared to the ship itself. You're looking at block proportions equal to that to get a single turret to do what you expect it to do, that turret uses 1.4m e/s just to function.

To me it seems like you need A. an off ship mounting gimble or B. multiple smaller self contained weapons adding up to the equal stats as the one big gun.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Yeah, its most likely the partial power issue, like Piper said.

Basically, you need to make sure the turret is either 100% self powered, or 0% self powered. The way it seems to currently work is it checks "Do I have power?" if yes, it tries to fire on it's own. If no, it goes down a level to pull from the turret base, and then the mother ship. If it checks and sees "Yup, I have power" it will try to fire on it's own, and if it doesn't have enough power it will fail, and won't try to draw from further down the docking chain.

Reaction score
    The weapon combo I was trying for was overdrive/missile so yes it is reading all of my power, I've never tried building a turret that had self contained power. I use to run docked reactor and let it pull from my ship. But as it stands it will be a 2 turret set not just a loan turret. Was reading the advice on building a ball turret and found it quite helpful. But I was actually asking for good weapon combos that are decent dps without being super power intensive.

Guthris

Lord Commodore Horatio Solomon Guthris
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    The weapon combo I was trying for was overdrive/missile so yes it is reading all of my power, I've never tried building a turret that had self contained power. I use to run docked reactor and let it pull from my ship. But as it stands it will be a 2 turret set not just a loan turret. Was reading the advice on building a ball turret and found it quite helpful. But I was actually asking for good weapon combos that are decent dps without being super power intensive.
    For energy efficiency shy away from missiles. Cannon/cannon/Any effect that aint overdrive
    Go for a 50-80% slave, slowfiring autocannon.

Dont use pulse or beam secondaries. Dont use missiles. Beams hitscan ability is unreliable. at least the cannons lead properly