Bugged turret using too much power?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I am normally very good at building perfectly functional turrets. I do not have issues with alignment, computer facing, etc.. I normally am also able to understand and build for things like power and power inheritance. However the latest turret I have been working on has a most strange issue. It seems to be using a whole heck of a lot more power than it should.

This turret has 4005 modules as cannon/cannon/punch, 1335 modules each. It should be using precisely 405,000 power per second. The turret ball where the weapon modules are has 195K per second power generation and about half a second's worth of power capacity. The turret base generates 235K per second power and has slightly more power capacity. Yet when I test fire the weapon, it rapidly depletes it's power store and reaches bottom, freezing the whole thing. Even if I add a couple million external power capacitors to both the base and the ball, the same problem occurs, it just take longer to deplete the battery.

This weapon should not be depleting the battery at all! It is generating a combined 430K of power per second, more than enough for this weapon system. If I dock the turret to a large external power source, if fires without issue, so it 'is' inheriting power. Just possibly not from it's base?

Can anyone figure out what the issue is here? I posted this as a bug but it has gotten not even a look see. I suppose understandably troubleshooting people's turrets is not seen as a bug issue. However I do fear that this IS in fact a bug. The weapon should be using 400K of power. The turret generates 430K. Why isn't it working?

Attachments

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    You can't split power generation across entities for weapons with reload </=1sec. Turret works fine with >400ke/sec on either the barrel or base.

Power is drawn from the barrel until there is none left before starting to draw from the base. Depleting the barrel's power causes it to go into power failure for one second, but the reload is less then one second so the barrel will not come out of power failure unless the weapon stops firing for >1sec.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    You can't split power generation across entities for weapons with reload </=1sec. Turret works fine with >400ke/sec on either the barrel or base.

Power is drawn from the barrel until there is none left before starting to draw from the base. Depleting the barrel's power causes it to go into power failure for one second, but the reload is less then one second so the barrel will not come out of power failure unless the weapon stops firing for >1sec.
    ???! I have built cannon/cannon turrets many, many times where the weapon's power needs exceed the generation capacity of the barrel section and/or the base. I have never encountered this issue before. All those other cannon/cannon turrets fire just fine.

And if this is in fact true, if I have somehow managed to accidentally concoct a great many cannon/cannon turrets that somehow escaped this 'feature' (how that could be I have no clue), then this most assuredly IS a bug.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Going on what is being written here as i don't have access to my StarMade pc atm.

The turret needs enough power stored on either the barrel part or the ship/station it's docked to to fire it's weapons.

For simplicity lets leave the turret base out of the equation. The base at this point is only needed to provide enough mass enhancers to move the turret barrel. The ship/station that gets the whole turret then needs enough mass enhancers to move the base part of the turret.

On small turrets the fact that a core alone can store 50.000 power is often enough. Your turret by the specs you have given needs:

A single unit of power Storage of 405.000 on either the barrel part or the ship/station you dock it to.

Because cannon cannon fires every second you are also going to need 405.000 of power Regeneration. This is where things get a little tricky.

If your power Storage is on the barrel. Than you need the power Regeneration there as well. Such a turret is Stand Alone and will not drain the ship/station you dock it to.

If your power Storage is on the ship/station it's docked to then your power Regeneration needs to be there to. In that case you don't need to give the turret it self any power. Though i like to give my turrets enough stored power in the barrel part for one shot as a buffer against power drain weapons.

Always leave a little room for lag or power failure. So use a little more than is needed.

Hope this is of some help as i currently can't test your provided Blueprint.