Setting up a server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey,
    Just found out about Star-made a few days ago. I am trying to get a server running. I can connect to it on localhost and I have port 4242 forwarded. When I use a online port scanner it tells me that port 4242 is resonding. I can not join the server when using my IP.

Are there other ports I need to forward?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    4242 is the only port you would have to have forwarded. But windows also sometimes blocks traffic on an application level. There should be a list of allowed programs in the firewall options of windows. Allowing only StarMade-Starter.exe won't work, since this is only a launcher. You'd have to allow javaw.exe and java.exe to allow incoming and outgoing traffic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks,
    I am on linux. I got it working. It seems that you can not connect to your own IP. When I try to connect to 12.45.67.86(a fake internet IP) it does not work but when a friends connects to the same IP it works. I can join but I have to be on localhost.
    Is this a bug?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hmm, it doesn't sound like a bug from the game. It kind of sounds as if there is some kind of problem in the routing table. What happens, if you ping your IP? Have you tried a traceroute on that ip?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can ping and trace route to my IP but can not join the server with my IP. I have to use localhost.
    Thanks for the new blocks! Work on more of those this can wait :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just incase you\'re still curious, I can confirm that it\'s not a game-side bug, it has to do with how your router handles network connections. I\'ve run into a similar problem at times with Minecraft servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is normal when u host the server on the same computer your playing on. Why would u leave ur network go tot he internet and come back to your own computer with a ip address? the computer sees this and just stops u thats why localhost is used. Plus its a better conenction than if u do conenct externally to the same computer 0-5ms vs 50-200ms.