Servers Dying

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is it just me or are the servers slowly dying and less and less people are playing. I wanted to create a thread and see what some of the active factions thought about moving to a central server. Maybe even get a few servers to merge together for better equipment, more administration, ect.

It just seems to me that every server I go on has a ton of 1-3 man squad and rarely more than 1 faction with more than 5-6 active players. I know a lot of my friends quit playing because there just isn't anyone to play against.

Any active factions willing to move to a central location. If all the active factions were on one faction the fun that would be had would be awesome I imagine. Perhaps some of these alliances of 10 1 man factions should merge into 1 Factikn prior to true move.

i think the biggest thing holding factions back is the lack of security via permissions. Anybody know what kind of faction system if any is planned?

Reaction score
    I think non-faction-home space stations should have the \"sheilds regen under fire\" clause. This would make outposts viable as any random scavenger couldn\'t just take out a big faction\'s space station with one AMC. Enough sheilds and you\'d need a huge ship to out dps the stations regen.

As for docking, station turrets should share the stations shields but not green docked ships. this would allow for turrets while still needing a protective hangar for the ships.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    My thought on a reason why less people appear to be playing is because the servers are infinite so everyone is to spread out. Maybe if there was a way to create boundries then there would be more faction interaction.

D

Deleted member 301635

I suggest Illusive as the main server, as the Council are moving there, and it has a lot of space for players.

NASS could also work.

D

Deleted member 301635

And the major factions can use ObiShawnKenobi\'s server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    My faction plays on a private server. There are only 6 of us but we try to outdo each other by building bigger, stronger and more powerful pirates to fight. Each of us are in our separate regions do to our massive ships and space stations. How is the lag problem on your server? Can it handle huge ships in the same sector? Will we be able to import our ships and stations to your server?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am not sure if Obi\'s server would be the best choice as there is talk of shutting it down due to real life issues and the lack of activity. I\'ve never been on the Illusive server before so no comment. The NASS is a good build server IMHO. Perhaps if we could build a coalition of factions outside of the game to promote community we could make some headway. Especially if the UAF, Brotherhood, Council got on board. This would be purely outside the game and the only goal would be building and stabilizing the community.

What if we picked three servers. A RP server that is whitelisted, a open hardcore PVP server, and a build server. If a majority of the active players stayed on three servers there would be a lot of activity and events. If we had the numbers we could talk to servers and see if they would be willing to merge and combine their resources, man power, ect.

I mean if all the RP servers combined into one server think about the number events and the great RP that would happen. If all the build servers combined think of the amazing build contests. If all the PVP servers combined think of all the good fights people would be able to get into.

Course this won\'t be easy. First we have to get a majority of the community on board and after that impressive task we would have to get several server owners on board as well as establish a sort of Code of Ethics cause lets be honest not all admins are made equal.

It\'s a long shot but of something like that could happen it would be a major boon for the community.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi,

With the first wave of new players there were far more servers created than needed, so now as things normalize, players are very spread out.

Things are a little quiet at the moment, as while the bugfixing and stability work is in progress, I\'m not doing much for publicity. This will change once I\'m starting with new features again.

Reaction score
    I think the idea of a or a few megaservers would be good once the game is up and running, because as Phantom said if the servers combined the community would be much bigger.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Currently The Council is working on a server such as this. I am not sure who all will be allowed on but maybe someday it will be open for all factions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Really won\'t work Zimmerman. It will be no different than any group currently out there. When I brought up the idea of a community group it was just that a community. Just saying here is this group we are going to go with their server, administration team, ect. Won\'t work as the community at large won\'t come as they had no say nor investment in said decision.

When I get home today I will create a simple website with a robust forum and set some areas up. I will set up a section for Faction leader to discuss what they would like to see out of the server. I will also setup a section for the average unfactioned player to express their wants and desires. I will also setup a section for server owners to discuss their wants and desires.

My hope is that through community discussion we can nail down what kind of servers we want(PVP, build, RP) and them discuss with the server owners how to best merge their communities into this Community driven project.

I hope that with everyone\'s input we can create a Code of Ethics and Standards as nothing kills servers or communities quicker than bad staff. I have some ideas and will express them on the forum.

The reason I want to so this on a seperate forum is there will probably be a lot of different discussions taking place and I don\'t want to flood this forum or the server forum.

We will also need some volunteers to send out PMs to server owners and faction leaders who might not check every thread that pops up. Together we can bring the Starmade community together.(please do not take this as in an alliance, that is not what this is about)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I\'m curious what you mean by my idea won\'t work. The council is doing exactly as you just described for our factions. Maybe this won\'t work for all players but it is a start and a \"prototype\" for a server that would allow anyone to join.