Server stability still a mess after build 0.09376

Reaction score
    0.09376 was the only version that had an actually stable server, all other versions that came afterwards have only caused pain and problems.

The latest build right now, 0.09378, made the server eat a lot more cpu than it should, and also becomes instable after a couple of hours, randomly lagging while the box is not even stressed (ping jittering massively between 20 ms and 300 ms all the time).

It randomly locks up too, sometimes right after a restart. When it locks up, playercount will be shown as N/A and server status will be shown as "online", all players will be thrown out too.

Just making this post to make schema aware that server stability has actually become much worse in some cases, by listing the current problems, although it became more playable than build 0.09377.

EDIT: Starmote seems to freeze every hour as well, by simply not updating info anymore.

Reaction score
    most of the lag i get on starmade is caused by haveing the gui overlay option on but when i turn gui overlay off

in options my frames per secound skyroctets and ping drops like crazy untill Very Big ships get spawned. the gui overlay is just a useless cpu instensive wasteful feture that should be turned off after you update

Reaction score
    P.S the gui overlay turns back on after every update makeing it look like the sabuilty update is brokin when it\'s just the gui overlay cuseing the all the lag

Reaction score
    You are posting on the wrong thread man, this is not about GUI and fps, this is about server stability.

Reaction score
    the gui overlay causes the clent to go slower then nomal. this causes the server to slow down as more clents join becuse most of the clenits can\'t process the data packets from the server and the clent forces the server to wait for the clent to send it\'s own packets but this makes alot of ping and makes alot of lag

in a nut shell it\'s client goes slow makes server go slow and makes a lag spiral of doom the forces you to restart the server to sovle the errors caused by exesive lag

Reaction score
    and big ships make lots of lag when they colide pushing the server over the edge and everything stops its both the guioverlay combied with big ship colshions that kills servers

Reaction score
    This explains a lot more, thank you for clarifying.

If all is true, I hope it\'ll be fixed in next update.

Reaction score
    This one I noticed often, it kills both clients (fps) and the server (lagspikes).

Reaction score
    theres a file called setting.cfg that you can edit with a text program to turn some hidden debug options on or off.

Reaction score
    And it is on by default?

EDIT: can you give me the exact lines in the settings?

Reaction score
    i\'m going to poke it and see what debug options were causing the problems when off or on

Reaction score
    not all of them are on. most are off or on by deflut. i\'m going to poke around to see if i can reduce lag and incrase performace

Reaction score
    One thing to NOT do is set G_DRAW_NO_OVERLAYS to true becuse it turns the Gui hud Off completly

Reaction score
    appently you can turn off the lag making puple seleted blocks that show when you setect a block that controls other block by changing G_DRAW_SELECTED_BLOCK_WOBBLE from true to false incresing fps on building ships but it makes it harder to keep track of whats conneted and whats not connected during big builds

Reaction score
    turning G_SHADERS_ACTIVE to false is bad mojo becuse no shaders brakes the game compleately

Reaction score
    I FOUND A LAG MAKER!!! Apentlay turning G_DEBUG_DRAW_LINES from true to false Makes your clent run much faster with no sideefcts

Reaction score
    Ureakca! I found something that Kills lag by 50%! Now why would you even have a Grathics Culling option on by default. Culling is a cpu hog. but Culling grathics is not needed if you have a draw destnce limit and segement draw limit that\'s just dobble diping for more lag then needed just to save ram and cpu. kill lag by turing it off by changing G_CULLING_ACTIVE from true to false sence you do not cull grathices if you have a draw limit it does notthing on sandbox games at large schales but bog it down.