Server Jump Gates; a good idea that actually is terrible

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did a forum search and found many variations on the theme of some form of FTL. Garden variety FTL, Warp, Hyperspace, Wormholes and Jump Gates. Personally, I prefer the concept of Jump Gates... either the Babylon 5 variation that gates you into hyperspace or the "insta-travel" gates like in Fading Suns, Stargate and SPAZ... though I haven't read anyone sugesting they work like this.

(The gate variation in Starmade would seem to present the need to only have a gate interface module on board, but construction of a gate is required... or found, introducing the possibility of Precursor race game content.)

Now, Should they ever be introduced, I propose the mechanic that they DON'T work in system. Ever. The Jump/FTL/Warp/Hyperspace system/engine requires coordinates. Those coordinates would be the IP Address of the server you want to travel to.

This could open up a whole new layer of play in multiplayer. Players could travel, in thier own ships, to massive community servers where players congregate to buy, sell and trade the resources of thier home server/system, giving stations and shops new purpose. A place, in game, for engineers and builders to show off, buy, sell and trade blueprints and ships. Places where explorers could rally before setting out into uncharted space, seeking out riches, resources and the relics of Precursor races. A place for grizzled old veterans to tell thier tall tales and ghost stories of the space lanes. A function that would also allow players to marshal thier forces on a Faction's server/system before making the jump to the server/system of a rival Faction to lay siege.

(I think here, it should be said that a better nav system should be in place. Something with user manageable waypoint markers, especially if the mechanic is a static jump gate. It would be the epitome of epic suck if you got lost on another server and couln't get your exploration ship back to your own.)

Dispite how awesome this could be, I am not so naive to not realise that this would IMMEDIATELY be exploited. "Cheaty" servers could use exploits and then grief other servers with OP ships. The potential for an "economy" could be rendered ineffective with invedit'ed resources... Individual servers and thier communities can be awesome and bridging them in a more direct manner would be even more so, but with the good comes the bad.

So, yeah. An awesome idea that could go horribly, horribly wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please repost this on the original forum post and follow the rules becuase they stated at :http://star-made.org/content/cant-dock#comment-form that

- Read before you post.

Read through related topics and their comments before posting your own, duplicating idea’s from other players in a slightly different form is unnecessary

and only clogs up the section.

- Comment on existing topics.

If your suggestion already exists but you do not agree with its execution, leave your version or view of it in a comment on the topic, do not create a new one.

Because I have seen so many of these already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You seemed to have linked the wrong url to a topic, this has nothing to do with ship docking.

Also, I DID do not just a forum search, I also did a key word search in ALL of the returned threads. Nowhere did I find a suggestion that recomended jump gates being server portals. If you know of one please link me to it.

And yes, I did read the posting rules... I think that this is a new enough variation on an idea to warrant a new thread and I did explain the motivation quite well.

I also don\'t apreciate you stating that you \"have seen seen so many of these already\" when you registered a whole three days before I did and had been for one week at the time of your reply... not to mention that you aren\'t a MOD, nor are you even a finaincial supporter of the game.

If you had a problem with the post, flag it and notify a MOD.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How do you use a forum search? If I don\'t see it on google I can only peek to see if it is within the recent 3-4 pages. Rarely will someone actually go back 20+ pages looking to be sure noone else posted a similar idea.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It only works on the forums, not the subforums. So you can\'t find the search bar in factions, or bugs, or announcements, only in the forum :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of Hive Servers which have Admin set up gates that can connect the servers at (0,0,0), (250,250,250), (-250,-250,-250) ect. I also agree if you could jump from server to server freely that would be very bad as seen in DayZ and others like WarZ.

A bit of an issue with the idea is how will you reconnect if you jump servers 2-3 times and no longer remember which of the 5 hive servers you were logged into last. Logging into the wrong one with your correct name will spawn you at newbie spawn with nothing. Also, how do you protect an account? What stops you from logging into someone else\'s name? Currently, you can log into anyone\'s name unheeded.

Reaction score
    You might want to check out my topic discussing how we could host more people on a server by distributing the processing among multiple machines.

search: ?sharding?

Reaction score
    I personally think its a good idea but instead of inputting any coords , it has to be a sector wich has a gate.

this would prevent people from invading a faction sector without warning.