Server freeze on UserJoin

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Since patch 09372 there is a bug on multiplayer servers that causes lag when a new user joins. The lag is worse the more user are connecting simultaneously and are on the server already.

Looks like your single thread server approach causes for huge performance problems lately, did you change the log in routine with that patch? Did you add more stuff to it? I will try to run jprofiler7 with starmade and will try to give you some additional information.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    the server is not single threaded. threading is not as easy as just putting operations in there. certain methods have to be synchronized. If there is something wrong in those methods, the other threds will get stuck too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i just observed 1 thread at 30% cpu and like 20-30 at 0%. The problem i described was non existant a few patches ago, so something you do on initialising has caused exponentially more load.

earlier we could play with 15-16 people without a single timeout, now we can barely manage 10 people and we get 5 second of no server response(apparently the server still receives and processes data meanwhile) whenever someone connects.

i know about the issues of threading and async operations, I never claimed it was easy but I can just advise you to keep an eye on the issue, because as it is right now people will soon lose interest in this game.