Server flakiness in recent patches

Reaction score
    I apologize for not being able to be more specific on which patch led to us starting to have problem with our server. But given the erratic nature of the problems, we didn't realize there was a problem right away.

The first, and biggest, problem is that players having trouble getting connected, and sometimes, getting reconnected after disconnect. They're getting connection timed out errors. I've also noticed at times that people trying to connect will still be listed as on, and not surprisingly, that triggers already logged on errors being sent to me (I'm the only admin).

The second problem is that after a few hours of having a sector in memory, it starts to develop physics errors with lag. I'm fairly confident that there are not in fact collisions going on since I can trigger this in my home sector just by hanging out in my station. On top of that, leaving the sector and then coming back after a few minutes usually seems to fix it, although the time until the write to sector caused lag errors will start occurring again in a shorter amount of time. The only thing that seems to slow down how long it takes is a full server restart.

Reaction score
    Some more followup since I just had the game not let me connect.

When I went to the BlueFang overseer panel for our server, it was showing 45% CPU usage even with nobody online. As soon as I stopped and restarted the server, the CPU usage dropped to 1%, and was barely at 5-6% when I logged in. It's now at 0% with nobody logged in.

So I'm guessing something gets started on the server that gets in the way of its ability to connect to clients. And again, this is a recent thing.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I know they tried to improve on networking in the last patch, so you could skim that section of the update to see what may have caused it. Ultimately, you'll probably have to submit this to the Bug tracker (found stickied in this forum), threads are mostly good for troubleshooting in the end.

Reaction score
    I know they tried to improve on networking in the last patch, so you could skim that section of the update to see what may have caused it. Ultimately, you'll probably have to submit this to the Bug tracker (found stickied in this forum), threads are mostly good for troubleshooting in the end.
    The only problem is I can't nail down anything specifically enough to submit a useful bug report. Was kinda hoping to get more discussion going to get idea on what to look for so I can at least give the devs an idea of what the problem is beyond "Can't connect sometimes cuz reasons"

Reaction score
    • Tester
    maybe a serverlog file would be helpful from around the time the server stalls.