Server doesn't answer

Reaction score
    Hello,

Everytime I get near a planet or a shop, that isn't in sector 2;2;2, I get server doesn't answer until about 40 sec, and then I crash. There is no way to get back to spawn, since I can't get to my ship. This happens to me on every server. Singleplayer works fine. This is quite annoyning, since I run out of money, and then I can't build ships. That also concludes, that I could play singleplayer only. Any advice on what to do?

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Single player is more stress for your system, so when single player works and multiplayer causes issues, you should select a server with low ping.

(Use server-list and sort by ping.)

This looks like a connection issue.
    If using a server with low ping (< 80ms) does not help, you should examine your connection directly.
    Wireless lan is often prone to crowded areas and get a high paket loss when signal strenght goes too low or if there are a lot in the area.

It may also be an issue with your installation being broken, please try to reinstall the game, and or check your firewall or antivirus software if they interfere with starmade.
    Moving the starmade folder out of system directories like "downloads" "desktop" or "documents" also helps a lot in some cases, as protection software scans those areas agressively.
    Try C:\Starmade for the folder if possible.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Hello again,

The "Server doesn't answer" problem, occured to me on the lowest ping server ( about 51 ms) before posting this thread, but is seems that the problem isn't related to ping. I checked the firewall, but that allowed Star-made. I tried turning my Anti-Virus off, but the same problem occured. I also moved my Star-made folder to a different location (I:\Starmade), but that didn't help either. I'm also on a wired connection. My internet speed is 1.2/MB. Could my internet speed be the problem?

Reaction score
    Single player is more stress for your system, so when single player works and multiplayer causes issues, you should select a server with low ping.

(Use server-list and sort by ping.)

This looks like a connection issue.
    If using a server with low ping (< 80ms) does not help, you should examine your connection directly.
    Wireless lan is often prone to crowded areas and get a high paket loss when signal strenght goes too low or if there are a lot in the area.

It may also be an issue with your installation being broken, please try to reinstall the game, and or check your firewall or antivirus software if they interfere with starmade.
    Moving the starmade folder out of system directories like "downloads" "desktop" or "documents" also helps a lot in some cases, as protection software scans those areas agressively.
    Try C:\Starmade for the folder if possible.

- Andy

I also checked the log files. When the server doesn't answer problem came in, there was a number (590) in brackets. I assume that is the ping?

Reaction score
    I get those error on my pc constantly. The message is never gone for more than a few seconds. Yet there doesn't appear to be any detriment to the gameplay. I get isolated pockets of lag but that seems unconnected as it's much rarer. The error appears regardless of how I play. (single, multi, single on dedicated server either remote or local) none of the fixes fix it. However, so far the most devastating effect of this is that it covers the advanced build menu so for wedges I have to click to turn, place one to check orientation, remove and repeat. Most people with this problem report bad lag spikes, and frame rate drops. I have fixed those but the error remains indicating they are not linked.