Server.cfg/General Questions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How do the planet size numbers in the server.cfg translate to planet size in game?

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 175.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 100.0 //Planet size standard deviation (normal gaussian distribution) (min 0)

Planets range from 75 to 275, but what do those numbers mean?

I have a lot of questions about the numbers/math in Starmade and the Wiki doesn't seem very helpful in that department. I'm not asking for observations of other users but instead the underlying math behind the config files and in game mechanics. I like to have a complete knowledge of the relevant mechanics before I start building something and not a general idea of them gathered through uninformed observation. If these numbers are deliberately hidden for some reason, then I guess my point is moot and gathering data will just be part of my Starmade experience.

Example: I am always having trouble with my salvage ships, they seem to salvage too quickly for the game to keep pace and I feel like I'm losing efficiency because of it. I do tests almost every time I come back to play and so far it seems building salvage cannons over 200 blocks is entirely useless, I see no difference between a 200 and 1000 block cannon. I don't know how to find out either because I don't know the math behind the mechanic. I get that the game is in alpha and things are subject to change, but to me that's no excuse for not showing a little math every now and then.

TLDR: There's simply too little information about the games mechanics right now.

Reaction score
    How do the planet size numbers in the server.cfg translate to planet size in game?

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 175.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 100.0 //Planet size standard deviation (normal gaussian distribution) (min 0)

Planets range from 75 to 275, but what do those numbers mean?
    Actually no, it doesn't mean that. Wikipedia does explain this topic very well.
    If you take a look at those plots there, you will notice that they all have this (potentially familiar) bell shape. Basically the ND describes the probability of a certain sample (planet size) occuring, having its global maximum (highest value) at the mean value. The plot will be steeper with a smaller standard deviation. Another mean value will only move it along the X-axis.
    A few interesting properties:
    • 50% of samples are in the range of 0.675 standard deviations around the mean value.
    • 68.27% are in the range of 1 standard deviation.
    • 95.45% are in the range of 2 standard deviations.

So what does this mean for planets ingame?
    • Planet sizes are theoretically unlimited. A planet with 100000 in size is theoretically possible, however very unlikely. Also there could be practical limitations.
    • 95.45% of planets are between 50 (would be -25 if there wasn't a minimum size) and 375 in size. Many of them probably 50, since all planets smaller than that would have to be upscaled.
    • Most planets are between 107 and 243 in size.

However, I'm assuming that this was not your actual question. I never actually tried this, but if I had to make an educated guess from what I've seen so far, I would assume that those planet sizes are the edge length of the dodecahedrons. You can verify that yourself very easily by setting the standard deviation to 0 in a new universe.

I can't tell you anything about those salvage cannons, but if you have other questions, go ahead.

Reaction score
    @JKF1209 while I'm totally with you on wanting to understand the full workings of every system in the game, you've got to admit it's utterly impractical for anyone to know all the math behind every game we play - so we have to work with some bits on faith, ignore others and focus really on what matters - enjoying the game.

I'll skip the planet size settings because @der_scheme rocked that already (+1!).
    Regarding Salvage Cannons, you have to understand that it is based entirely on a 'tick' system - every tick (0.1 seconds I believe) the direction, velocity, 'damage' and other crucial information regarding all beam weapons is re-calculated.

I've not got a handle on all the math myself and I'd rather help you understand the base mechanics over giving you questionable/wrong formula, but knowing that there is a limit to the number of times the damage calculations are being done per second should help you appreciate why your beam weapon (with no slave computer / effect computer attached) caps out at something like 10 blocks per second.

Now, add in slave computers & effect computers and you'll see something different.

A lot of the fun of StarMade is that there are simply so many permutations with the weapons systems now and you get to go experiment and find out which setup works best for you.

Have fun,

~CR~

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    However, I'm assuming that this was not your actual question. I never actually tried this, but if I had to make an educated guess from what I've seen so far, I would assume that those planet sizes are the edge length of the dodecahedrons. You can verify that yourself very easily by setting the standard deviation to 0 in a new universe.
    I've already tried looking for what the number could represent by doing just that, here's the kicker it doesn't match anything I could measure in game. It's not the side length at the highest or lowest level, it's not the radius of an inscribed or circumscribed sphere, nor is it the midradius.
    Thank you for pointing out the standard in standard deviation :) , I don't know why but I seriously didn't see that word in the description XD.

@JKF1209 while I'm totally with you on wanting to understand the full workings of every system in the game, you've got to admit it's utterly impractical for anyone to know all the math behind every game we play - so we have to work with some bits on faith, ignore others and focus really on what matters - enjoying the game.

Regarding Salvage Cannons, you have to understand that it is based entirely on a 'tick' system - every tick (0.1 seconds I believe) the direction, velocity, 'damage' and other crucial information regarding all beam weapons is re-calculated.

A lot of the fun of StarMade is that there are simply so many permutations with the weapons systems now and you get to go experiment and find out which setup works best for you.
    The math behind Starmade or any game for that matter is known, it's just not shared. The numbers and formulas are not just pulled from thin air, they are planned, reworked and optimized by a developer. I love Starmade and I hate to see it make the same mistake many other games make.
    I will definitely take another look at the block behavior config with respect to tick rates and slave computers.
    I usually don't mind experimenting to find what works best for me, however when I find the process too time consuming and tedious, it's nice to be able to do it on paper instead.

Reaction score
    I'm not too certain what mistakes are being made here, but for a game that's in early alpha, you've gotta roll with this.
    Folks spent time and effort theorizing and optimising the shape and build pattern of power cores then the math changed and blew it all out of the water. The point here? Don't put too much effort and faith in mastering the math of a game in alpha - stuff changes all the time.

Have fun experimenting!

Reaction score
    I can finally answer that.
    I've already tried looking for what the number could represent by doing just that, here's the kicker it doesn't match anything I could measure in game. It's not the side length at the highest or lowest level, it's not the radius of an inscribed or circumscribed sphere, nor is it the midradius.
    My tests show that the planet size is the radius of the insphere to the "zero"-level of the planet surface. This is backed up by information I got from magic cat himself.