Senseful defaults

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i do not ever want to fucking download any more patch that still would set these default setting options.

DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true <- Hell NO! cleaning up those bazzillion no thrust Turret_base_03 trading guild "ships" sucks!
    ASTEROID_SECTOR_REPLENISH_TIME_SEC = -1 <- what about something decent? because never means servers will be mined out around spawn quickly...
    MISSILE_DEFENSE_FRIENDLY_FIRE = true <- what is the joy in firing missiles and geting them taken out by your own turrets? seriously who did decide to set this to true as default?
    STAR_DAMAGE = true <- how about we get some indicators first and untill then we keep the frustaration level of new players low?
    AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10 <- ams are pointless when a missile approaches a ship at 300 m/s and the rapid fire ams fires 10 times a second this means that the missile travels 30m in 0.1 seconds... but the ams is only precise enough to hit a target 10 meters away! again how about some decent values, 200+ is what this normally gets set to on most servers.

these changes could be done in less than 5 minutes. the community points at some of them for over a year ...

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    As stated on our conversation already,
    they are kept at this level to have existing universes not change behaviour for servers that "just update the game" without ever looking into the config.

The defaults are stupid. agreed.
    And we should change them.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    As stated on our conversation already,
    they are kept at this level to have existing universes not change behaviour for servers that "just update the game" without ever looking into the config.

The defaults are stupid. agreed.
    And we should change them.

- Andy
    true but you also wondered which settings the culprits were so i made this little list ; )
    The servers which changed them get them overwritten through patches, which should not happen but obviously does happen. and the servers which did not change them yet probably only left them because they did not know it was just a setting...

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    They do not get overwritten.

The build does not include them, so the defaults get only loaded if the server.cfg is missing.
    Otherwise new settings are appended to the end of the file.
    Any other case, should be an error that needs to be tracked.

- Andy

Reactions: nightrune

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    i do not ever want to fucking download any more patch that still would set these default setting options
    Cursing is not required. You had fine points with backing logic.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true
    I bring this up every chance I get. It causes more problems then it's worth.​

ASTEROID_SECTOR_REPLENISH_TIME_SEC = -1
    Being able to recover resources in single player is kind of important​

MISSILE_DEFENSE_FRIENDLY_FIRE = true
    Another good one that I think the default is the wrong choice.​

STAR_DAMAGE = true
    I think sun damage should be on but you really need more time to get out. Currently it's 5 seconds before your ship is irreparably damaged. At the very least they should eat shields first.​

AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10
    Default accuracy is set by difficulty at least in SP​

Reactions: Drakkart
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Cursing is not required. You had fine points with backing logic.
    it was meant to utter my disappointment/ frustration with the issue. but probably you are right...

AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10
    Default accuracy is set by difficulty at least in SP​
    Thanks for backing me up sven. i know that this is - basically the only setting that determines difficulty *eyerolls* still i do not consider this a proper solution. Difficulty should be determined by AI strength (how did we end up here again *sigh*) battle maneuvers ... not weapon accuracy which is also required to defend against incoming missiles. otherwise missile ships will become the hardest to fight... at easy difficulty. Not working as intended i'd assume.

Reaction score
    If only servers that have a missing config get the default config, then why can't you change the defaults? Changing them like this would mean that every new player ever would see the new more logical config, while everybody with their own config gets left alone. Or did something get lost in translation here?