Second Small Ship Competition!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, without further ado:
    Gentlebeings of all types, shapes, colours, and sizes, the Second Small Ship Competition is hereby declared open!

The Rules:
    No doomcubes or doomblocks. While this is a game about blocks, please try to create actual ships.
    Ships must conform to a class in one or both divisions.
    Each ship will be pitted against each other ship in its class over a total of 6 matches per matchup, 3 with the entry piloted by yours truly against a mob of the competitor, and 3 with the entry as a mob and me flying the competitor. In short: 3x player vs mob, 3x mob vs player.
    Entries are to follow the following format:
    Name
    Division
    Class
    (image)
    Download Link
    Additionally, I will add a "spirit of the rules" clause. It is best summed up by a post on the last competition's thread:
    Try designing a ship, not just a weapon system. The whole package needs offense, defense and aesthetics.
    Divisions and Classes:
    There are two divisions, volumetric and free. The volumetric division and the free division will compete seperately from each other. However, if a ship meets entry requirements for both divisions, feel free to enter it in both.

The volumetric division's classes will be based on maximum dimensions as follows, given in Height, Beam, and Length:
    Class I: 7 x 7 x 11
    Class II: 9 x 11 x 17
    Class III: 11 x 15 x 23

The free division's classes are also based around maximum dimensions, but are instead given by total sum of all 3 dimensions. They are as follows:
    Class I: 25 total dimensions
    Class II: 49 total dimensions
    Class III: 75 total dimensions

The Contestants:
    Volumetric Division:
    Class I:
    Dread

Class II:

Class III:
    Fear

Free Division:
    Class I:

Class II:
    Soul A4

SMMF

Class III:
    Scion

Viper Mark II (Conditional)

Goliath Navy Entrants:
    Standard-Issue Fighter

Salamander Recon Fighter

Heavy Fighter

I wish you all the best of luck.
    May the best ship win!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Scion [Heavy Fighter]
    Free Division
    Class III
    http://starmadedock.net/content/scion-heavy-fighter.2871/
    D'oh! Only just in Class III...
    If you'd like, I am willing to bump it down to Class II.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435210561,1435210530][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'll re-enter the Soul drone considering that it did so well in the first competition (it won?). Anyways, here it is:
    Class II
    http://starmadedock.net/content/soul-drone.1326/
    Which division? Volumetric or free?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    D'oh! Only just in Class III...
    If you'd like, I am willing to bump it down to Class II.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435210561,1435210530][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Which division? Volumetric or free?
    Free division, sorry for making that unclear. It'd be at a serious disadvantage in volumetric since it just barely makes class III.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The sum of the dimensions is 59 so if you think Class II is a better fit that would be great!
    How about this: I'll leave it as Class III for now, then when more ships arrive I'll judge it against them to see how well it would fare.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    when is the closing date? I'll through my fighter in as cannon fodder just as soon as my internet works... :/

Also, because Craptop is well, bad, is there any possibility of having a volunteer pilot rather than myself?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When you do the combat test will there only be the two ships in the area? I'm asking because I want to use heat seekers but more than one object within a few kilometres pulls aggro and makes them trash.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    when is the closing date? I'll through my fighter in as cannon fodder just as soon as my internet works... :/

Also, because Craptop is well, bad, is there any possibility of having a volunteer pilot rather than myself?
    I will be flying all entries.

Reactions: iceman6491
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    grand, I think i misread your OP :p
    Contest will close at some point in August, maybe September.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435242480,1435242359][/DOUBLEPOST]
    When you do the combat test will there only be the two ships in the area? I'm asking because I want to use heat seekers but more than one object within a few kilometres pulls aggro and makes them trash.
    Yes. Any other vessels will be in the next sector at least, if not further. Also, feel free to enter multiple ships!

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Are there rules against multiple entries because I seem to remember that wasn't in the first comp.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are there rules against multiple entries because I seem to remember that wasn't in the first comp.
    Feel free to enter as many ships as you like, and enter them into either division. As many entries as you like. Be warned that I may not get to all of them if you spam me, and priority will be given to a contestant's first entries in each class.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Here is my Recon Drone then.

It's 13 by 13 :/ Does that mean I can't put it in volumetric because that would suck

http://starmadedock.net/content/cny-reconnaissance-drone.2775/
    Unfortunately yes, it can't go in volumetric as it stands, and without posted dimensions I can't put it into a Free class yet. However, a modification of the design would probably fit. Perhaps trim the "wings", and add any systems removed to the underside or rear? You might end up with a Class III that can dodge or is harder to hit...

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Unfortunately yes, it can't go in volumetric as it stands, and without posted dimensions I can't put it into a Free class yet. However, a modification of the design would probably fit. Perhaps trim the "wings", and add any systems removed to the underside or rear? You might end up with a Class III that can dodge or is harder to hit...
    Well length and width are 13 and height is 6 so in total thats 32 so its a Class II for free.