Salvager Success Rate in Configs

Reaction score
    My idea is a simple one to add two options to the server. Cfg
    The options would set the success rate per block for salvaging natural blocks and ship blocks like hull, shields, glass, and anything that would be considered a man made block.

If the server config file were set to
    NATURAL_SALVAGE_SUCCESS: 1.0 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)
    MANMADE_SALVAGE_SUCCESS: 0.01 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)
    This would mean that salvagers would mine minerals and planetary items as normal, but salvaging a ship would only grant the player about 1 percent of the blocks that they attempt to salvage.
    This would make manufacturing a necessity by adding balance.

Server operators could choose to leave it at 100 percent as it is now or nerf it so that players can't just salvage a massive ship and have 10k things that would otherwise be hard to get, therefore earned.

This would also dissuade people from spawning hull drops as it would then become an inconvenience to harvest the blocks quickly.

Reaction score
    I like the idea, but what if we also go a step further? What if we add....

NATURAL_SALVAGE_SPEED: 1.0 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)
    MANUFACTURED_SALVAGE_SPEED: 0.5 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)

Now, anything manufactured (man made) would be salvaged at half speed. If we increase your sucess rate from one percent to say twenty percent, we now salvage 20 blocks of every hundred our beam hits, but leaves us vulnerable for a longer amount of time for the other pirates or players to catch up to us while we mine a shipwreck.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you managed to kill it and the rate is not good, why not just jet yourself if alone or have it an assigned job to someone else to do so, and enter the enemy core. After entering the core activate build mode with the three mirrors and start removing blocks.. 100% removal and block gained then, bypassing this limit. How would you address this?

Reaction score
    There are two things to consider here.

a) While a person can, by default, jump in the core and remove the ship parts block by block, it is also much less efficient than a 500 block salvager array. A person can clean up a dreadnaught wreck in a matter of a few minutes if they have a big salvager array, but right clicking block by block, they\'re less likely to want to spend so much time on it. Thus a deterrent. It isn\'t ironclad, but it is some balancing to the economy/manufacturing game side.

b) Have an additional setting in config that to allow or disable jumping in mob cores. Perhaps go even one step further and also have a setting that would make getting in overheating cores impossible.

The important thing about these ideas is that they would be settings in the config, able to be enabled or disabled by the server admin to create a playstyle. If a server owner wants to run a server that has a functioning economy with mining and manufacturing, they might have their settings looking something like.

NATURAL_SALVAGE_SUCCESS: 1.0 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)
    MANMADE_SALVAGE_SUCCESS: 0.2 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)

NATURAL_SALVAGE_SPEED: 1.0 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)

MANUFACTURED_SALVAGE_SPEED: 0.5 (1 BEING MORE, 0 BEING LESS)

CAN_BOARD_OH_MOB_CORE: false

CAN_BOARD_OH_PLAYER_CORE: false

This would mean that overheated cores meant the death of a ship on that server. The admin could always make player cores boardable and still retain a lot of the economic balance, but this config is just an example.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    but right clicking block by block, they\'re less likely to want to spend so much time on it

Have you tried setting up the three mirrors onto a vessel, setting the X, Y, Z placements to 10 and right clicking? You will remove up to 8000 blocks a click, rather than 1. I have seen people use this on planets with a build blocks the make the full planet disappear within a minute or two.

The only real way to balance you idea is to make an edit to build blocks as well, as you can use that other than the core to enter a ship\'s build mode.

Reaction score
    Well, I suppose the last option is to allow or disallow people to remove overheated ship core blocks by means other than salvager. Problem solved.

ONLY_SALVAGE_OH_CORE_BLOCKS: true

Reaction score
    but it would solve one part of the too many resources issue.

I think the important thing to note about this idea is that these options would be in the configuration, used at the server administrator\'s discression.

-Caid