Salvage lasers shouldnt be weapons?!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, its alpha and the combat is not balanced. So far so good. While testing combat I found the usage of salvage lasers funny in the beginning. But after a while they became more and more bewildering.

Currently I hold the opinion that salvage lasers shouldnt salvage ship parts or at least not active ships. It feels wrong and lasers are hopelessy underpowered in relation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Salvage lasers should have to go through a shield if the ship has a shield array. Otherwise, all is fair game.
    Otherwise, yes, they are perhaps OP'd but it does take quite a engineering genius to actually construct a fast moving, fast harvesting ship that could do battle.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Do they salvage active ships? I already fobid existing ships to be salvagable. Maybe that got screwed up by thelast core update

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was able to salvage a nugget cruiser. You can get the ship in upload section. I think it is because a Bobby was used instead of it being spawned. More testing needs to be done though.

Reaction score
    My fleet relies heavely upon salvage cannons to be used as weapons. we have three very larg ships specificaly designed to gaurd our space station. they are just as vulnerable as the next guy if you are trying to build on a budget, however if you can afford it you can build very powerfull arrays. thats how it should work, the ones with the most money have the nicest things.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the salvage beams should be fair game, they should simply do no damage to shields and not be able to pass through shields. If you want to harvest a ship then you gotta take out the shields first.
    In their current state it seems shields are fairly underpowered, granted I am a big fan of shields so that might just be me liking shields over hull. If shields get a boost then they could actually provide a good balance for the game. You could ignore shields and focus on armor, but then be susceptible to salvage beams. Or you could focus on shields and probably have little armor, allowing weapons to tear through the hull if your shield drops. (I think I have the ideas of Starfarer\'s system of Kinetic vs Energy and their effectiveness against shields in my head... I quite enjoy that system..)

Reaction score
    Sorry to revive, but this problem seems to be back. These are results of testing with my friend:

-Salvage beams go through shields if the other player is not in your faction.

-Salvage beams do nothing if the other player is in your faction.

-Salvage beams still go through shields if the other player is in build mode.

-Salvage beams don\'t care about the faction block at all.

If this is now intentional, just ignore me.

Reaction score
    Yes i seem to have the same problem.

I tested firing at another one of my ships, without a pilot, shields worked while shooting with the antimatter cannons but were ignored when firing the salvage beams.

And @The K, I can\'t imagine this is intentional.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was on a server and spawned in my ship, it had tons of shielding and whatnot, I got the factionblock activated, and prepared to zoom through the galaxy when some a$$hole decided to salvage my thrusters through the shields while I was in the ship core. At which point I lost enough thrust to move my ship, thus enabling the entire thing vulnerable. I lost over half the ship by the time an admin finally intervened. The worst part was that it was happening in a so-called \'protected\' sector, even though missiles ans salvage beams still work in them.

In addition, I was on another server with a ship that took ages to build, and It had AI turrets and the lik on it, but someone was able to salvage it when I was offline, and when I got back online and caught them, I found that my turrets did nothing to their ship, not even recognizing the salvage beam as an attack.

I believe Salvage cannons should only be able to be used on ships whose core is overheating. That way, if someone\'s shields drop, you can\'t eat away their thrusters and the like and still collect them. You should have to derelict their ship in order to salvage it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    thats odd because i could swear that when fighting AI ships and pirate sations you cant use salvage beems untill the core is overhaeting. I havent done much on PVP so i dont know about that but i cant see why it should be diferent when against other players

Reaction score
    agreed,I think they should not be allowed to be use as weapons and should only be used on defeated ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You make a good point, salvage lasers are meant for salaving materials from inside your ship, as the name suggests, and should not be used as a weapon.I think salvage lasers should not be able to salvage ship components all that easily, but certainly not on active, non-damaged ships.

But I think we should have somesort of beam based weapon. Some sort of more expensive weapon that can be used against ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Salvage cannons do not work against NPC ships until after the core is destroyed, however, they do work on ships once they are exited. I made a mining ship, and if someone leaves their ship I can devour it in seconds. (Which is why I don\'t use it that way) This is a golden oppertunity for griefers. I\'m ok with a griefer coming at me with a giant gun ship. Atleast he has to compensate the anti-matter with his power usage, has to get through my shield, and doesn\'t dissolve blocks at an ungodly rate.

Im all for allowing scavengers as a sneaky tactic in combat, but not atleast until the shields or down or the ship is severly damaged. If you think this isn\'t a problem, there is a chance you truly don\'t understand that the first few seconds you exit your ship, I can render it incapable of combat. Give me only a few more and you\'ll only be left with your core.

The same goes for spacestations. I have a base, that is not my home base, and a ship like mine can chew through the whole thing, turrets and all, so long as its shielded enough.

Reaction score
    Yeah... salavage cannons are an issue atm.

Basically if you are not physically in your ship(shields or not), some giant salavage unit can come by and om nom your ship to death in a few seconds.

They really shouldn\'t be used as a weapon period imo... They should be for planets, stations, rocks, and inactive ( core destroyed) ships only. But they work on anything really even if faction\'d

If the devs still want a weapon like it, please replace it with a new block/cpu system like plasma lasers that fire a continous beam and have to take out the shields first :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I personally think salvage beams should be able to salvage enemy ships, but only if there is no shield up. But perhaps we could have a block such as a \"beam disrupter\" block, that prevents salvage beams from being used on that ship. The block could be either REALLY expensive, or not be sold in shops, (or if so only rarely) but crafted instead. This was a player would have to be lucky enough to find the recipe for this block, and then have to make it as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This was fixed already - you can\'t salvage anything that isn\'t overheating. Of course that\'s inconvenient when you want to take apart one of your ships, but adv build does exist...

Reaction score
    Why shouldn\'t be used as weapon? Just make it so it is significantly weaker so people would prefer other weapons and use it only as last resort (when other weapons are out or weren\'t there in first place). IMO weapons should go in this order of strength (from weakest to strongest:

- Salvage Laser

- Antimatter cannon

- Missiles

- Ion canon

- Plasma cannon

- BFG9000 ;)