Read by Schine Salvage beams harvest loot clouds?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Getting loot is great, loot clouds can be fun given that they are loot, but there are a couple of major problems right now with loot clouds; they disappear way too fast and they fill your personal inventory with useless junk which you have to manually clean out. This latter can be especially irksome if you have multiple (fast vanishing) loot clouds and your inventory has already been filled with junk from a previous loot cloud.

Meanwhile, we are often (I am always) flying around with ships that have a salvage array. Moreover my salvage arrays are connected to a filter/sort storage system. If salvage arrays could pick up loot clouds, the loot could be shunted to that storage immediately and painlessly. This would remove the tedium of hunting pirates and leave only the fun.
    Yeah, I think this is a good idea. Either allow salvagers to pick up loot clouds, so we can have our ship's inventory fill up instead of ours, or just make it so that if a ship flies through a loot cloud, it fills up the ship's inventory first, and the astronaut's inventory second.

Reaction score
    The main loot for me with pirates has typically been the wrecks of the pirate ships. I always hunt pirates with a battle miner to make harvesting their wrecks a snap. Loot clouds are typically too short lived and too much of a hassle given their propensity to fill your inventory with crap, requiring tedious micromanagement to clean out. Meanwhile timers are counting down on the wrecks...

The ideal in my opinion would be much longer lived loot clouds that contain much numbers of individual stacks, but with those stacks made of higher quality goods. That or perhaps do away with loot clouds all together and make loot spawn in storage chests on the pirate, again though with smaller numbers of stacks but made of higher quality items (or lower quality but higher numbers).

What is the most irksome is having half your inventory filled with stuff like one cactus or two red dirt, etc..

The easiest thing i've found is that when i make my pirate hunter ships which usually have smallish arrays of salvagers and metric ass loads of swarm missiles i'll make a storage chest system inside the ship i'll name and label 4 storages loot 1 - 4 these are my "dump chests" aka you are in your ship in flight mode you run over a loot cloud,inventory gets full go to the named storage tab dump all my inventory into 1 of these four chests.

These 4 loot chests are auto sorted into 12 other chests that hold what i consider to be all the relevant blocks hull standard armor advanced armor in one crystal armor ingots and crystal blocks in another etc etc usually i attack stations long enough to get groups of however many pirates i can handle on a given server and clean them up accordingly after i finish off a large group of whatever size is appropriate i will manually throw away all the junk in my "loot chests" so they don't get clogged up to badly but 4 is usually enough to hold all the non useful crap for killing one group and with the auto pull its only shift clicking my whole inventory once after each kill and since i use swarmers on a timer i pick up the loot clouds while i'm finishing off the rest of the group.

Seems to work pretty well for me.

Reaction score
    You seriously need a bigger salvage array on your main miner. 10,000 block salvage arrays are what I consider default for any established player's mining ship (and thats 10k salvage blocks, not counting cannon blocks).

If you're having trouble powering that, look up how to do efficient reactor design.
    10k? I've never even seen one that big, let alone built one. Powering it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I find it easier to power something large than it is to power small fighters. My biggest issue is trying to balance that power with the weapons and shields needed to defend it, and the thrusters to move it. Maybe I'll try that for my next project, if my computer doesn't crash...lol.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    10k? I've never even seen one that big, let alone built one. Powering it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I find it easier to power something large than it is to power small fighters. My biggest issue is trying to balance that power with the weapons and shields needed to defend it, and the thrusters to move it. Maybe I'll try that for my next project, if my computer doesn't crash...lol.
    My current miner has 35K salvage modules in it's array (and an extra 35K cannon). Mind you, it is also a two million block battleship. It is however built to be quite nimble for it's size and flies much like a much smaller cruiser. It recharges it's jump drive in a mere twelve seconds. It's built to be used, frequently, and I could not abide flying a slugboat. (As a result of making it that nimble however, it cannot really go toe to toe with another two million block battleship purpose built solely for combat.) The one thing a ship of that mass cannot redress sadly is it's turn rate. It is a short, stubby ship so as to try to gain a slightly better turn rate, but it still turns like a lame whale.

By no means however would one need to make a two million block ship so as to carry Edymnion's suggested 10K salvage array. A 200K ship could easily house such an array and give it adequate everything, even 100K could likely stand up to my own server's beefed up pirates.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At the base level of 50 blocks long (a 1 x 1 x 50 salvage is powerful enough to eat a block in one tic, and hence is the most efficient design), a 10k block salvage array would only be 200 individual array lines.

Assuming proper checkerboarding, that would end up being an array thats only 20 x 20 x 50, which you can power by just one or two lines of reactors in a standard box configuration around it.

I usually have one of these built within a couple of hours of being on a new server. Its really easy to make once you get your factories set up. If you're one of those people that buys everything from shops you might have a harder time of it, but factories make it a piece of cake.

Reaction score
    I usually have one of these built within a couple of hours of being on a new server. Its really easy to make once you get your factories set up
    My biggest problem was always mining enough hylat for the cannons and sertise for the shields. Both are difficult to come by in early game.

A New thought, if the clouds become a physical entity to be picked up by the salvage beams, should the items turn to scrap after the ship/station/turret explodes from overheating? What if part of the loot begins to drift away from the rest? Example: If a ship runs into the cloud, items drift off like the chunks of ship debris, or like when a ship impacts an asteroid. If the items become physical entities, wouldn't that create an immense amount of lag?

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My biggest problem was always mining enough hylat for the cannons and sertise for the shields. Both are difficult to come by in early game.
    I generally don't bother with either on my early miners. I just build straight for size. Salvage modules, power, thrusters. My early stuff generally doesn't even have a hull on it.

Build it big, build it cheap. If I run into pirates, I run back home to my faction home base and let the turret there shoot things down and then go salvage them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    As Edymnion suggests, the cannons are unnecessary. The only reason to marry cannons to salvage beams is so that you can have a single continuous beam salvage array instead of two of them that alternate. The single array with cannon will weigh exactly as much as two salvage arrays without cannons. When using salvage arrays without cannons, you just cycle between them, switching to the one while the other recycles.

For shields, just buy them off of shops. If you are playing in a heavily played out, older universe, you may have to visit a few shop outside of the spawn system, but you should be able to find some for sale. Just sell stuff you've mined for cash, or make a slew of advanced factories and sell those for the cash.

Also with regards to selling stuff for cash with which to buy shields, note that there are some particularly useless things you typically wind up with way too much of; sugil, chabaz, cinnibar, varis, tekt, & lukrah. Usually people have already sold as much of this junk as possible to whatever store you are trying to get cash from. What people usually do 'not' do however is to process those things into their carved brick versions. The carved versions sell for nearly two million for a stack of 50K and most shops are happy to buy a full stack of each.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Somewhat on topic but as long as we are talking about loot clouds...
    Should be a <loot=1> or 0 variable in blockconfig to dictate which items can spawn in loot clouds
    Pull out all the space wasting cubatom tags while they are at it.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think the problem is more loot clouds are ridiculously full of tons of crap. I don't think they should be gotten rid of completely but toned down, you can get millions of credits worth of high value blocks way to easily, breaking any hope for an actual economy.
    Usually you one to 500 of lots of stuff, usually only 1 or two of each, not like before, of course it might just be the server i use...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Usually you one to 500 of lots of stuff, usually only 1 or two of each, not like before, of course it might just be the server i use...
    A nice trick for when you know you're going to be fighting pirates, put one of things you actually want in your inventory to fill it up. Like one block of each advanced armor, one of each computer, etc. That way those will be the only things you can pick up from loot clouds, and you won't have to worry about all the burnt soils and blue flowers.

I actually keep a storage container with one of each thing I want from pirates next to the dock for my pirate farmer so that I can just grab it as I walk by.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I actually keep a storage container with one of each thing I want from pirates next to the dock for my pirate farmer so that I can just grab it as I walk by.
    That's a good idea. I might steal that. ;-)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The devs have stated eventually loot clouds will go away, being replaced with a credit bounty or something similar

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    A nice trick for when you know you're going to be fighting pirates, put one of things you actually want in your inventory to fill it up. Like one block of each advanced armor, one of each computer, etc. That way those will be the only things you can pick up from loot clouds, and you won't have to worry about all the burnt soils and blue flowers.

This is exactly what I do when I fight pirates.

Reaction score
    I considered filling up my inventory with what I wanted most and just flying through the loot cloud, but my pack rat urges prevent me from doing that. Instead I dump my inventory while in build mode into some chests that get sorted into other chests, very similar to how lilheartless does it.

...in your ship in flight mode you run over a loot cloud,inventory gets full go to the named storage tab dump all my inventory into 1 of these four chests. ...These 4 loot chests are auto sorted into 12 other chests
    Seems to work pretty well for me.
    Even if destroying pirates in the future will only give you credits, there are still other ways to encounter loot clouds and I think it would be beneficial to have items collected go to designated ship storage instead of your own inventory.

Reaction score
    I considered filling up my inventory with what I wanted most and just flying through the loot cloud, but my pack rat urges prevent me from doing that. Instead I dump my inventory while in build mode into some chests that get sorted into other chests, very similar to how lilheartless does it.

Even if destroying pirates in the future will only give you credits, there are still other ways to encounter loot clouds and I think it would be beneficial to have items collected go to designated ship storage instead of your own inventory.
    what else would give loot clouds besides mobs? i mean maybe the fauna will drop one item but i highly doubt anything in the future is going to drop 40 different items at one time which will make this a non issue.

Reaction score
    what else would give loot clouds besides mobs? i mean maybe the fauna will drop one item but i highly doubt anything in the future is going to drop 40 different items at one time which will make this a non issue.
    There are stations and ships of other players that can drop items in combat, as well as your own storage that can be destroyed in combat.

Granted, the largest and most constant source of loot clouds at the moment are pirates. Even if the pirates eventually drop nothing, I still see the benefits of tweaking the way ships pick up items.

Reaction score
    There are stations and ships of other players that can drop items in combat, as well as your own storage that can be destroyed in combat.

Granted, the largest and most constant source of loot clouds at the moment are pirates. Even if the pirates eventually drop nothing, I still see the benefits of tweaking the way ships pick up items.
    granted the only source of loot clouds at the moment are pirates and soon not even they will drop loot clouds.

player ships have chests/storage not "loot" player ship blocks are harvested by salvagers which go directly to storage if you wish it so.

as far as i can tell loot clouds are temporary and will be done away with entirely you are asking to change a feature that will most likely not make it to release which seems pointless.

I posted in this thread initially to provide a way to sorta do what u guys are asking for now till loot clouds are done away with.

This honestly doesn't need to be done at all.

Reaction score
    granted the only source of loot clouds at the moment are pirates and soon not even they will drop loot clouds.

player ships have chests/storage not "loot" player ship blocks are harvested by salvagers which go directly to storage if you wish it so.

as far as i can tell loot clouds are temporary and will be done away with entirely you are asking to change a feature that will most likely not make it to release which seems pointless.

I posted in this thread initially to provide a way to sorta do what u guys are asking for now till loot clouds are done away with.

This honestly doesn't need to be done at all.
    What makes you think this? What will happen when a packed storage gets shot, just delete all the items?
    I think this is pretty impractical change until credits become far more useful than they are now. Aka: Major Trade guild changes.