Rounded Blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was just thinking that rounded edges of some kind might be a nice addition to the game. However, if you want to keep that blocky feel that the game already has then I guess it might not be the best idea. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It would need a lot of block IDs. If there are at least 3 differant shapes (rounded wedge, rounded corner and rounded inside corner) in 4 block material types (basic, standard hardened and glass) in 10 colors (don't remember exactly) it would take up around 3*4*10=120 block IDs. I don't think that's really worth it considering that rounded blocks would only look good on only small ships since you can only round one block. I also don't think it's worth it because you can already do some nice rounding with tetras and heptas.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Every time people ask these questions they get answers that make my brain hurt xD

Noc

Reaction score
    I think this falls under the category of let us create cosmetic block variations. Which I hope happens eventually.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was just thinking that rounded edges of some kind might be a nice addition to the game.
    Perhaps a shader. Blur edges?

But I think round edges will never happen in the near future of SM. Maybe if we get personal quantum computers PQCs? :)

I just miss the option to make a real cathedral-tower. (would look much better with a 22.5° block.)
    They were designed to play with the perspective, creating an illusion of infinite height (if you look at their height bottom-up, standing nearby).

Noc

Reaction score
    Perhaps a shader. Blur edges?

But I think round edges will never happen in the near future of SM. Maybe if we get personal quantum computers PQCs? :)

I just miss the option to make a real cathedral-tower. (would look much better with a 22.5° block.)
    They were designed to play with the perspective, creating an illusion of infinite height (if you look at their height bottom-up, standing nearby).
    I want to make it very clear I am in no way knocking Starmade. I have found it to be an exceptionally well made game for what it is and am satisfied with the artistic style. But it is not significantly computationally intensive to add shaping to voxel games, although it is devilishly complicated to code.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But it is not significantly computationally intensive to add shaping to voxel games
    Depends on how you code. Partially transparent pieces give no advantage. Full blocks can improve the frame-rate.
    But I care more about the block-IDs and corresponding requests when this gets added.

Perhaps you could subdivide block-rendering.
    Some part of the scene may render oct-tree (2x2x2) split, partially existent blocks on double distance to create the illusion of smaller blocks.

I think improving the current build mode is a much more important detail, together with dynamic 1/2m block rendering and block-

Noc

Reaction score
    If you want an example of the technical feasibility of rounding look no further than Landmark (running on the voxelfarm engine). That engine is a full-time job for a team in its own right though, and it would look very weird in starmade without heavy customization. But it wouldn't require a supercomputer to run (my shitty laptop ran it just fine since the earliest public alphas).