Revemp of faction war balance

Reaction score
    first i would like to say that my mother language is not english. so i'm sorry if my sentences are wrong. The second thing is that there is no need of much of coding to apply my ideas

Nowaday we have the following problem :
    - people hide everything in homebase. strong people go around it, kill afk, and weak just camp it.
    - its impossible to wipe the immortality of a homebase from an active faction.
    -its useless to claim more than one system for mining, so you never really spend your faction points.
    -in most of cases its useless to do more than 1 station.

so now, when a 25 player go on war againt a 1 player faction, nothing happen. is it normal ? i dont think so.

to fix it, to make pvp a real thing and not just a guy crossing all the galaxy to kill some noobs that do not have the habits to dock everything in the base there is my differents ideas

I - a revemp of points earning and spending

1 -spending :

(the most player you have, the most you spend points) - not sure
    the bigger your HB is, the most you spend points
    being killed is a real waste of point.

2 - earning :

controling a system earn points, the most its close to the homebase and/or 0 0 0 the most it give points (cant claim a system with a planet : too easy to hide the block. the goal is to force players to build more than a single station.)
    + other idea if a npc trading convoy cross your system the credits share go to your faction and not to the trading guild (implement a faction bank)
    kill a player thats is your ennemy earn point, kill a neutral (or a player that was neutral the previous hour to avoid PK) make your faction loose points
    same thing about ship overheating (if its possible)

II - faction war setting

setup a war "page" with the kills and the system control of each faction during the war.
    limit the time of the war (like 2 week to 1 month) ->
    at the end of the time limit, the looser may : have to pay points/credit to the winner faction depending of its size// be destroyed if they can pay neither credits or point [i'm not sure this destroy option would be popular]
    it would be possible to negocite a truce with custom options
    wars would be possible with allies, at the condition that they accept a war invitation.

Reactions: aceface

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't see any checks or balances to prevent bully behavior in this suggestion.

so now, when a 25 player [faction] go on war againt a 1 player faction, nothing happen. is it normal ?
    Small factions starting up in a server dominated by at least one bored, powerful faction appreciate this game mechanic. Many players have stories where the HB invulnerability kept them from being utterly destroyed while they slept IRL.

at the end of the time limit, the looser may : have to pay points/credit to the winner faction depending of its size// be destroyed if they can pay neither credits or point (i'm not sure this destroy option would be popular)
    Counter-suggestion: factions have to pay a "war deposit" (which might contain all kinds of various things from individual block stacks to faction points) to some sort of back-end "escrow" (or the game keeps an escrow account on each faction all the time), and spend that entire escrow amount when declaring war, the implication being that a faction is unable to declare war with an insufficient escrow amount. When agreeing to a war, part of the escrow amount goes to a "win" fund, and part of it goes immediately to the other faction in the war. This will help balance wars between different-sized factions, and give a big incentive to win a war against a big faction. (bigger risk: bigger reward)

Reaction score
    I don't see any checks or balances to prevent bully behavior in this suggestion.

Small factions starting up in a server dominated by at least one bored, powerful faction appreciate this game mechanic. Many players have stories where the HB invulnerability kept them from being utterly destroyed while they slept IRL.

Counter-suggestion: factions have to pay a "war deposit" (which might contain all kinds of various things from individual block stacks to faction points) to some sort of back-end "escrow" (or the game keeps an escrow account on each faction all the time), and spend that entire escrow amount when declaring war, the implication being that a faction is unable to declare war with an insufficient escrow amount. When agreeing to a war, part of the escrow amount goes to a "win" fund, and part of it goes immediately to the other faction in the war. This will help balance wars between different-sized factions, and give a big incentive to win a war against a big faction. (bigger risk: bigger reward)

for the part I of your comment : yes theres is 2 mechanic preventing a big facction to bully multiple small faction at the same time : the point earning by system. since it would be very expenseive to control every system with large defense station, many system will be controled by0.1 mass station// decayed if allowed. the second point is that every faction would pay a different amount after loose depending on their size, compared size and compared earning/loosing points = a large faction would risk much more than a small one. this two combined would totally prevent a large faction to randomly attack small one, for the single reason that if the big faction do not pay to much attention to one of the many faction they attacked for PK; this faction(s) could destroy their controled sector one by one with ease, and could claim lot of sectors without the big one notice because they engaged too many wars. in such a case they would loose hundred millions , or even billions while trying to get 2/3 m.

for the part II : i like tour idea but there is 2 problem : first, i think tht would mean both of the factions need to be connected, the second is that until thewar deposit is set (what if one factionrefuse to set it ?) the factions are invincible; and that's a complicated game mechanic to manage. it would totally work on a RP server but i cant imagine it on a pvp server

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Eh, TBH "owning" systems and the ENTIRE faction mechanic is completely useless until they put in some form of automation to resource gathering AND defense.
    -"patrol" function for fleets needs to actually work, allow more than one waypoint, AND respond to sightings/SOS from assets in range.
    -Owned systems need to provide "value." This should/could include resources/tic, construction/tic, etc... Essentially he same "value" NPC factions get from claiming territory. A "multiplier" to harvested resources is NOT really value that incentivizes controlling an area for longer than is absolutely necessary.
    -"Faction points" are, as you have noted, relatively useless in their current implementation. Using them as a "max units" or "max controlled area" or "buffs applied within controlled areas" (eg a "chamber tree" where FP are used the way RP are used in chambers, but applying the buffs with a large multiplier within controlled territory or with a lesser multiplier to all factioned enities period) all seem like ways to make them less of a total waste of time and bandwidth. I personally think devs are leaning towards that third option, just because of how they were talking in relation to sys2.0 and whatnot.