Repair schematics, debris feilds, new sheilding, OH MY!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How many of you have made an awesome ship? Okay, now how many of you have been attacked by pirates in that awesome ship? Now, how many times has that pirate attack blown up most of your awesome ship? Exactly. And the repair beam can't fix all of those holes, now can it? That is why I propose: the Repair Schematic! This would be similar to the blueprint thing, except for the fact that it would be save within the ship core rather than the catalog. It would save the position and orientation of every block, and when the repair beam is shot at your awesome ship, and the blocks that are needed to fix the holes are in plexstorage boxes on the ship then the beam would place the blocks in their position based on the repair schematic.Thereby fixing you awesome ship, without even needing to buy a new one from the catalog.

Now that we have an amasing repair schematic is loaded into the ship, we can spread the use of this. Let's go back to the pirate battle: Your sheilds are down, your ship is getting holes blasted in it. Then, your ship has an entire hole blasted through it, severing half of your ship from the other half. Now, normally, your ship would just keep that part of the ship in the same place and act as if it is still physically connected. However, with our amasing repair schematic, the part of the ship that does not have the core on it would become seperately dynamic. This means that it would start floating away from the rest of the ship. so basicly, if you ship was destroyed, then all of the parts that were disonnected would create a debris feild. But wait! There's more! when a part of your ship systems was damaged with enough force of damage then they would start to explode, damaging more of you ship and creating more debris! Plus, during a core overheat the systems would also explode too! So there will be EVEN MORE debris will be created (Like in the movies).

Now, all of you are concerned that if your ship gets too damaged you don't stand a chance and you're doomed. Well my freind, I have a solution. Multiple sheild systems. A sheild for AMCs. A sheild for missles. A sheild for explosions. A sheild for beams. Backup sheilds. You get the idea. In concept, this could be applied to multiple different systems. Power, Thrusters, Weapons. See, it works with them too!

Since i have been recently been getting people who don't read the whole post, type the word "Veloceraptor" at the end of your comment. Thx.

Reaction score
    What kind of pirate attack blows up awesome ships? -.-

Anyway haha. Repair schematic might be nice. How does it update if the ship is customized since it was last blueprinted?

I think the dynamic physics thing would probably be too laggy though. Big ships that don\'t have moving parts are already bad enough - this could only make them worse.

And no I\'m not going to say that word.

D

Deleted member 301635

Firstly, these ideas have all been suggested before.

Secondly, if the repair blueprints were implemented, then the beam would hit the outer hull and stop. Unless the repair beams started going through healed blocks.

Thirdly, there is already an option to enable breakoff, and it\'s in the server.cfg file.

The specific shields could work, but would probably make ships either tanks with weapons about as effective as the ones on fighters, or glass cannons.

Velociraptor

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/content/ship-repair-schematic

http://star-made.org/content/debris-left-damaged-or-destroyed-ship

A different type of shield for every single thing in the game is a no. Simpler is better in this instance.

Veloceraptor

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Different types would just make ships weaker, since you\'d have to fit all of the types in the same space that you would normally put shields.

Allosaurus. :3

Reaction score
    That could add more strategy. I almost think that it\'d be better, so that all weapons get used and tested. It also gives a sort of Rock Paper Scissors aspect to the game.

Duck.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Regarding different kinds of shields: Thanks for making all of my ships complteley defenseless due to this new system.

Clever Girl

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For repair schematics - Yes.

For disconnected items becoming asteroid style items? Yes.

For exploding systems? No, if you\'ll notice in the movies computer consoles explode from the slightest bump Id prefer my FPS and the servers hard drive stats to stay in functional.

The shields for multiple systems seems like overkill, I would prefer the option of pointing my shield array to cover specific areas only with more strength then if covering the whole ship.

Swagasourus.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a better idea for the shields. How about instead of having different shields you have one shield but in the weapons menu you can change what it does. So imagine that your ship is going up against a fleet of ships that have no missiles, you can set your shields to protect from whatever they shoot and turn off missile protection. The thing that makes this balanced is that if you turn off missiles completely then if you get shot with one shields do nothing. So the configuration would look like this if there where only turrets and missiles. missiles 50% turrets: 50%

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, i think that it would be better to be able to turn up or down the amount of power going to each defence of a single sheild, smilar to how we can move up or down the amount of power going to seppd, distance, damage, and reload of AMCs or Missles.

Really? Swagasaurus?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7