Render engine and blocks.

Reaction score
    I was curious if the render engine is faster at rendering/processing some blocks over others. Like the cube vs the wedge. The wedge has one less face than the cube and if we brake it all down into triangles per face, the wedge has 4 less triangles. So does the wedge render faster than the cube?

I'm curious because when making a ship, for example a hallway. I am patching up the holes left by making angled corridors and a wedge will work instead of a cube and from in the hallway they look no different, you can only tell if you get behind the hallway.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I was curious if the render engine is faster at rendering/processing some blocks over others. Like the cube vs the wedge. The wedge has one less face than the cube and if we brake it all down into triangles per face, the wedge has 4 less triangles. So does the wedge render faster than the cube?

I'm curious because when making a ship, for example a hallway. I am patching up the holes left by making angled corridors and a wedge will work instead of a cube and from in the hallway they look no different, you can only tell if you get behind the hallway.
    When 2 opaque blocks(non-transparent-textures, full block) touch each other, the touching faces will not be rendered at all. If a block is not opaque, all faces will always be rendered, AFAIK. Non-opaque blocks also do not affect opaque blocks' faces, so by using wedges on flat-axis-aligned surfaces, you are AFAIK making things worse.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If a block is not opaque, all faces will always be rendered, AFAIK.
    Don't think so. As far as I can tell, its exactly the same, it just happens to render the sides of the neighboring blocks. you can't see transparent blocks through transparent blocks

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Don't think so. As far as I can tell, its exactly the same, it just happens to render the sides of the neighboring blocks. you can't see transparent blocks through transparent blocks
    Did you ever clip into a row of wedges?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Quite often I put my main camera behind a glass wedge. I can see fine straight ahead, but the sides block my vision. It's glass, it's touching the edge face of another wedge, and yet it is not transparent and is rendered. It's quite annoying.