Removing Base Location

Reaction score
    I suggest Removing the automatic reporting of Homebase location, most would want to keep that info secret.

It's just so out of place, why would anyone do that? it makes no sense, and is a siren song for trolls.

It removes, what should be a key part of the space game meta, exploration.

Warpgates, should likewise be hidden initially, unless the owner wishes to broadcast the location. The reasoning here is the same for the Homebase, with an additional layer of the easy destruction and super lame process of repairs. Why would a faction or civilization broadcast the location of such an asset in a hostile universe?

The Blue line pollution(warpgate lines) is a huge eyesore on any server, and serves no purpose.

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nah, not that I've seen. Although, it could be somewhere on another thread or one of the Schine guys threads.
    You can ask them stuff directly. They're usually pretty good at getting back to you.

Reaction score
    Yes, they are fabulous. However I feel we need a clamoring hordefor this type of change

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you don't actually set a home base, no coordinates will be listed. Unless your on a reverse faction point server the only thing you need to worry about is being blockaded. Some well placed turrets of modest strength should be more than enough to keep anyone you don't want around away from your home sector.

I suspect that once better exploration related features are added and perfected, the rather lame band-aid of home base protection (and publishing of it's coordinates) could potentially go away in favor some something more nuanced and engaging. Scanning will certainly need a major overhaul as right now, it's barely adequate.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Global location reporting AND invulnerability both need to go.

Reaction score
    If homebase protection is also removed, what would stop griefers and other nasty individuals from killing someone's stuff while they're offline? Currently homebase protection is the only way to protect one's builds and stuff on a survival server, where it's not that easy to come up with a suitable stockpile to build stuff on.

Would servers have to be using a claim plugin (like Towny in Minecraft) to keep people's stuff safe while not logged on? This could actually solve the proble, since realistically you'd use faction points to keep your stuff safe (similarly to Towny, where in-game gold is used to maintain towns in Minecraft and protect the player's stuff). Everything that has a Faction module would therefore cost a certain amount of faction points to keep protected and safe and you could set protection settings for them in the faction module UI (like who has the ability to build and modify the entity (personal/faction(possibly with ranking system)/friendly/all), as well as a setting to allow the build to be invulnerable to damage(entity protection for those important builds you don't want to have destroyed).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I suggested that the Homebase location should only be given once the system has been scanned at least.

As far as the invulnerability, maybe some option to only activate this if the faction has no players online?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I see a lot of potential in the NPC factions' ability to field defense fleets. Currently attacking an NPC faction's base will get you swarmed by defense ships from all sides. If player factions had the ability to utilize this mechanic then they can produce numerous vessels that would patrol controlled systems 24/7 providing the needed coverage while players are offline. Combine this with some kind of strong bonus to armor values, and shield regen+cap on stations and you would have a system, that as long as the defense ships and facilities were well made, would effectively preserve a motivated faction or even a single player provided the cards were played right.

Back to current realities, you don't actually need a home base. Many individuals and groups don't bother with them and instead spread their assets out and carefully choose station placement in unclaimed areas, often deep in void space. The fog of war greatly enhances this approach. Some people even set a home base somewhere just as a decoy.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I agree, and I think bases should only show up on the galactic map for two reasons:
    1) You have scanned the area and located the base, or
    2) The base has some kind of broadcast antenna installed and activated which reveals its location to the galaxy.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If homebase protection is also removed, what would stop griefers and other nasty individuals from killing someone's stuff while they're offline? Currently homebase protection is the only way to protect one's builds and stuff on a survival server, where it's not that easy to come up with a suitable stockpile to build stuff on.
    This valid objection about overnight kills is frequent and well registered, as are several equally valid rebuttals and easily-implemented solutions. Personally, after years of stasis, I'd be happier with MP vanilla being more session-based with no expectation of getting on tomorrow and finding one's uber-vault still brimming with literal planets-full of goodies and infinite god-like invulnerability sitting there as always, waiting to do nothing while one chats with other players sitting in their HBs doing nothing they couldn't do on a dedicated build server... At least there might be some excitement and challenge in MP that way, a few laughs, and probably no more QQs than we already see.

It wouldn't at all damage SP, Creative SP, Build Servers, or RP Servers in all of their bloodless monotony.

In fact it's extremely telling that even with HB Invulnerability there are still many specialized "no violence" servers out there and they are some of the more popular ones, because HBI doesn't even work except to catastrophically gut warfare. You still need to join a whitelisted or vigorously administered RP/build only server if you want to not get jacked.

EDIT: removed random, pre-coffee, off-topic ranting about 'no survival mode.'

Last edited: