Remote Activated Spoolable Jump Drive

Reaction score
    I'm new to this game, but it's fantastic, mostly because it's letting me fulfill my dream of building spaceships.

Right now I'm working on a multi-tenant ship, and there's one thing that I would really love: The ability for non-pilots to spool the jump drive. As it stands, spooling is a long process that can only be managed by the pilot, and it pretty universally eats the entire capacitor bank. What's more frustrating is that it requires 100% of the pilots attention, when really this is a thing that can be managed by a logic system or another player (the engineer)

tl;dr : Implement remote-activation for jump drive charging and firing

My thoughts on implementation:

Jump drive modules can be connected to activation blocks, every jump drive module activated contributes to it's attached jump drive computer the appropriate amount as determined by the power consumption formula.

e.g. A ship has 100 blocks including 10 jump drive modules, a remote activation block tied to 3 of those modules, and a jump drive computer. The player can spool the jump drive manually (from the action bar) using 10 jump drive modules/ per second to fill the jump computer. The player can also press the remote activation block before getting into the core, so the jump drive computer would fill continually as if it were be spooled by three jump-drive modules

presumably, you could expedite the process by focusing all attention on the jump drive, using 10 modules again, but the basic idea is that a ship can determine its ideal draw, and continually use, say 15% of it's power to charge jump drives. This makes ship design more fun, because you start thinking about power distribution as a timing function, and it also gives you an excuse to yell at your engineer:

"I'm busy shooting at fighters, I NEED MORE POWER TO THE ENGINES SO WE CAN GET OUT OF HERE!"

Additionally, it would be pretty cool to have remote activated jump drive computers. doing so would fire the jump drive, so you could actually time picard-style attacks. i.e. time your jump system such that when a sufficient delay has passed that you can be certain your drive is charged, it auto-fires. This would be useful for long-range travel as well, since you could plot a course, then go work on stuff on your ship while you're in transit. It's dangerous, because if you've plotted your course poorly you'll burn, or get attacked, but it means you don't have to sit in the cockpit doing nothing while you're on a routine trade run.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I like the idea of allowing bridge crew to assist in running a large ship (warp drive, cloak, jammer, etc) while the captain pilots and controls main weapons. Maybe players should just be allowed to access warp computers and cloak modules just like they do weapon computers and turrets.

Then in terms of a remote-control block, that is something that could link to a variety of different computers.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Can players enter computers? Specifically, can they enter the jump drive computer? If so, can they have just that one thing (jump capacity) on their hotbar (assuming they have one; otherwise why enter the computer at all?) and be able to charge it up as a crew member?

"Scotty, lay off the jump drive for a few minutes while I salvage this asteroid belt."

If it's not possible yet, that would be a good way to improve crew-ability in this game. I don't see this as overpowered, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'm down for having crews activate jump drives. I think that will eventually come too. Without forms of interdiction, we do need that button hold for the moment. Otherwise we would be getting increasingly easier ways to jump into a fight and leave without risking damage to ourselves, which spoils the experience a bit.

Reaction score
    This would be a cool thing to do. It would however require the removal of the current behavior that causes jump drives to loose charge as soon as the ship is shot for it to be useful.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Can players enter computers? Specifically, can they enter the jump drive computer? If so, can they have just that one thing (jump capacity) on their hotbar (assuming they have one; otherwise why enter the computer at all?) and be able to charge it up as a crew member?

"Scotty, lay off the jump drive for a few minutes while I salvage this asteroid belt."

If it's not possible yet, that would be a good way to improve crew-ability in this game. I don't see this as overpowered, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    They cannot enter the jump drive computer.

Reaction score
    Re: interdiction

I actually think that jump interdiction is the wrong approach to this problem. I suspect you already know that this was eve-online's approach and it comes with too much nonsensical baggage. the problem can be much better and more easily solved with energy-drain turrets, which is an approach that doesn't enter everyone into the weird world of, "what is jump travel vs gate travel vs engine travel?"

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Spooling your warp drive isn't bad if you regenerate energy faster than your warp drive consumes it. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Already possible folks. Non pilots can spool the jump drive. Connect the jump drive to An activation module. The module will charge the jump drive. You must then connect the drive back to the core to use it. I have a 1 module emergency drive i charge this way on one of my larger ships. When it's going to take too long to charge my main drive, i just connect the other one and jump.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Already possible folks. Non pilots can spool the jump drive. Connect the jump drive to An activation module. The module will charge the jump drive. You must then connect the drive back to the core to use it. I have a 1 module emergency drive i charge this way on one of my larger ships. When it's going to take too long to charge my main drive, i just connect the other one and jump.
    I tried it, it doesn't work. I connect the activation module to the jump drive and there were no power drains. Also, when I entered the core, the jump drive was not on the weapons menu.

EDIT: Figured it out! This is great, you have no idea. Thank you sir!

Last edited:
    Reactions: jath
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yep, you need a repeating circuit i think right? Good stuff.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of spooling and jumping to a pre set string of coordinates while your not in the cockpit. it gets pretty dull sometimes with the repetitive plot, spool, jump, repeat. A couple other things that would be cool, in addition to the 10 second cool down after a jump, is if a 5 second timer counted down the jump, and if there was a 3 second "tear" in the sector you jumped from that other ships could attempt to track you or follow you through, as long as their mass was equal, or less than the mass of the jumping craft. All of this would be mostly combat oriented of course, except a friend could follow you through the "tear" to make up for them not owning a jump drive them selves.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hate to toot my own horn, but if you download one of my ships you just might find a old 2nd generation logic drive...

It doesn't overcome jump inhibitors and takes about 30 seconds to charge due to just being a simple half second clock, but after the required number of ticks have been entered it jumps. (each tick adds a small small amount of charge, and depending on LOTS of factors like mass of ship, ratio of jumpdrive modules to mass, number of modules slaved to computer, and 2-3 others involving rails, it takes a few thousand.
    This ship takes about 2000ish ticks I think. It will keep jumping until you turn off the clock, so make sure you are watching your course.

Reactions: kiraen