Recruitment Rules

Reaction score
    This is a forum for faction recruitment only; any other posts will be deleted.

Any posts in this forum that are not directly related to recruitment or internal faction discussion among current faction members are not permitted. "Roleplaying" and baiting factions/members is not tolerated and will be met with warning points. Any of these actions will be considered flaming, trolling or spam, which will be determined by moderation.

The full set of forum rules apply.

If you wish to roleplay, we have a section here.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Formal complain about new structure of faction forum​
    Dear Starmade Staff,

DukeofRealms AndyP
    This is my formal complaint about a part of the forum which I believe to have been badly implemented, which in my view has direct negative consequences and connotations on a part of the starmade community.

This element of the forum system is something I find to tedious and certainly annoying.

While the recruitment threads do show latest info, the roleplay one doesn't. This is unhelpful as you do not see if there have been replies to threads on roleplay sub section of forum as easily as can be seen with other sub sections, leading some faction visitors to miss out on its existence. I understand that it can get toxic in the roleplay thread, however this is just making it nigh on invisible unless you want to go through the process of an extra step. The prompt for bait and roleplay with the relatively foolish quote of "Dive into Abyss" is not productive and simply decreased a persons willingness to engage in roleplay. If they do want to engage in roleplay, as for example in faction politics, discussions or read about news (not just recruitment), they shouldn't have to go through this each time:

Perhaps for some this is a funny joke. "Ha-ha". I do not know the procedure for filing for this to be removed, so here we are, a complaint.

While I believe any logically thinking person would agree with me by now we can take apart this ridicule piece by piece if it is so necessary.

Point 1)
    Along with "Drama ahead", you should also include "Guide to helping new players find out about factions, information boards on major factions, a lot of interesting information about the factions and players who play this game". Or you could scrap the 'Drama Ahead message', since anybody who clicks on 'roleplay' would understand what they are doing.

Point 2)
    "roleplayers"=
    Roleplay:
    To act and speak as if you are the character you're portraying. To roleplay is as much about what not to say as what TO say. It means to keep your speech in the context of the setting in which your character (or avatar) exists. Context can be defined as both time and place.
    Roleplayers:
    Roleplayer is a person, who takes a role on a certain type of character. They write paragraphs to other roleplayer by saying things like "Lana was walking down the road..."

No, roleplayers are not trolls, and if you are implying that some people will pretend to be roleplaying when instead are trolling, this is not clear and is not portrayed in professional way.

Point 3)
    "The direction you are heading is not civilization". Quite right, I believe civilization cannot be encompassed by a series of threads on a forum of a virtual space simulator, however for practice-sake, let's not be hypocritical. I believe we just mentioned that "jokes" are bad, so let's get rid of this one and spare ourselves the trouble.

Point 4)
    Image of fish with bait. If you have any decency you will not require me to explain to you why that is immature, unhelpful and annoying.

Point 5)
    Just don't....=Don't fall for the bait? It is already overly clear you are obsessed with this point to the extent of making a special menu to decrease amount of users seeing roleplay page. Why would you just extrapolate this by implying that this whole thread is in the negative?

Point 6)
    Abyss:
    noun
    a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm.
    anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite:
    the abyss of time.
    1. the primal chaos before Creation.
    2. the infernal regions; hell.
    3. a subterranean ocean.
    I presume you do not mean that the faction thread is immeasurable. Nor do I suspect you mean that it is unfathomable or infinite. In this case you are referencing 'the infernal regions; hell' when you are saying "Dive into Abyss".

As a faction leader I can say for certain that I find this unproductive, unhelpful, unprofessional and bad faith to sum up all factions represented within faction forum and say they all are 'in the abyss'.

As the creator of the A-Z Major Factions guide, I can say for certain that I am sorry for all those new players who are missing out or change their mind about checking out the factions page (and so do not see the useful guide), simply because it was so greatly misrepresented with the help of these few words.

Final Point)
    "This part of the forum has separate rules, please make sure to read the sticky."
    This is the only practical, useful part of this intervention menu. This could be included via a java popup to appear when you open the faction menu to cause much less hassle. It could also be implemented to appear on the side of the inner-roleplay section menu, so that you see it when about to click one of the pages.

Yours Sincerely,
    Bogdan

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Formal complain about new structure of faction forum​
    Dear Starmade Staff,

DukeofRealms AndyP
    This is my formal complaint about a part of the forum which I believe to have been badly implemented, which in my view has direct negative consequences and connotations on a part of the starmade community.

This element of the forum system is something I find to tedious and certainly annoying.

While the recruitment threads do show latest info, the roleplay one doesn't. This is unhelpful as you do not see if there have been replies to threads on roleplay sub section of forum as easily as can be seen with other sub sections, leading some faction visitors to miss out on its existence. I understand that it can get toxic in the roleplay thread, however this is just making it nigh on invisible unless you want to go through the process of an extra step. The prompt for bait and roleplay with the relatively foolish quote of "Dive into Abyss" is not productive and simply decreased a persons willingness to engage in roleplay. If they do want to engage in roleplay, as for example in faction politics, discussions or read about news (not just recruitment), they shouldn't have to go through this each time:

Perhaps for some this is a funny joke. "Ha-ha". I do not know the procedure for filing for this to be removed, so here we are, a complaint.

While I believe any logically thinking person would agree with me by now we can take apart this ridicule piece by piece if it is so necessary.

Point 1)
    Along with "Drama ahead", you should also include "Guide to helping new players find out about factions, information boards on major factions, a lot of interesting information about the factions and players who play this game". Or you could scrap the 'Drama Ahead message', since anybody who clicks on 'roleplay' would understand what they are doing.

Point 2)
    "roleplayers"=
    Roleplay:
    To act and speak as if you are the character you're portraying. To roleplay is as much about what not to say as what TO say. It means to keep your speech in the context of the setting in which your character (or avatar) exists. Context can be defined as both time and place.
    Roleplayers:
    Roleplayer is a person, who takes a role on a certain type of character. They write paragraphs to other roleplayer by saying things like "Lana was walking down the road..."

No, roleplayers are not trolls, and if you are implying that some people will pretend to be roleplaying when instead are trolling, this is not clear and is not portrayed in professional way.

Point 3)
    "The direction you are heading is not civilization". Quite right, I believe civilization cannot be encompassed by a series of threads on a forum of a virtual space simulator, however for practice-sake, let's not be hypocritical. I believe we just mentioned that "jokes" are bad, so let's get rid of this one and spare ourselves the trouble.

Point 4)
    Image of fish with bait. If you have any decency you will not require me to explain to you why that is immature, unhelpful and annoying.

Point 5)
    Just don't....=Don't fall for the bait? It is already overly clear you are obsessed with this point to the extent of making a special menu to decrease amount of users seeing roleplay page. Why would you just extrapolate this by implying that this whole thread is in the negative?

Point 6)
    Abyss:
    noun
    a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm.
    anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite:
    the abyss of time.
    1. the primal chaos before Creation.
    2. the infernal regions; hell.
    3. a subterranean ocean.
    I presume you do not mean that the faction thread is immeasurable. Nor do I suspect you mean that it is unfathomable or infinite. In this case you are referencing 'the infernal regions; hell' when you are saying "Dive into Abyss".

As a faction leader I can say for certain that I find this unproductive, unhelpful, unprofessional and bad faith to sum up all factions represented within faction forum and say they all are 'in the abyss'.

As the creator of the A-Z Major Factions guide, I can say for certain that I am sorry for all those new players who are missing out or change their mind about checking out the factions page (and so do not see the useful guide), simply because it was so greatly misrepresented with the help of these few words.

Final Point)
    "This part of the forum has separate rules, please make sure to read the sticky."
    This is the only practical, useful part of this intervention menu. This could be included via a java popup to appear when you open the faction menu to cause much less hassle. It could also be implemented to appear on the side of the inner-roleplay section menu, so that you see it when about to click one of the pages.

Yours Sincerely,
    Bogdan
    I, for one, like the changes and find them humorous, without being overbearing. The former faction forum page was incredibly toxic, and it was impossible to tell what could be toxic from what could be fine.
    Diving into the abyss seems appropriate to me, as a native English speaker, I understood the meaning immediately. The actual definition of the word is not as important as it's connotation in this case, where it could really mean any of the three definitions you have listed; a forum where the new members of the forums learn about fire and flames, where every post drags you further through the eternal hell of the subforum, and where it's deep, dark, and ultimately very salty.
    I do believe that it's required that the entirety of that section to be labeled 'roleplay' though. Not everything there is horrible, there are a few nice threads, with nice people who don't break the rules. Those threads get buried and salted however, due to the massive numbers of *roleplayers* (for lack of a better name) however. That being said though, it is impossible to differentiate between the threads with positive roleplay, and negative "roleplay," and if you were to attempt to separate them, the positive would always attract the most negative.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    I, for one, like the changes and find them humorous, without being overbearing. The former faction forum page was incredibly toxic, and it was impossible to tell what could be toxic from what could be fine.
    Diving into the abyss seems appropriate to me, as a native English speaker, I understood the meaning immediately. The actual definition of the word is not as important as it's connotation in this case, where it could really mean any of the three definitions you have listed; a forum where the new members of the forums learn about fire and flames, where every post drags you further through the eternal hell of the subforum, and where it's deep, dark, and ultimately very salty.
    I do believe that it's required that the entirety of that section to be labeled 'roleplay' though. Not everything there is horrible, there are a few nice threads, with nice people who don't break the rules. Those threads get buried and salted however, due to the massive numbers of *roleplayers* (for lack of a better name) however. That being said though, it is impossible to differentiate between the threads with positive roleplay, and negative "roleplay," and if you were to attempt to separate them, the positive would always attract the most negative.
    The naming of the section as 'roleplay' is not something that is found to be a concern in this case.
    The more pressing concerns are the following:

1) Intervening warning menu
    2) Roleplay section threads not appearing

As I have mentioned, with the help of a java pop-up, one could mention that there are different rules for this section of the forum. Very many forums across the world wide web can be toxic or not toxic, however the menu in this case is unnecessary.
    As you say
    it is impossible to differentiate between the threads with positive roleplay, and negative "roleplay,"
    however that is not the reason I have made the complaint. I have made the complaint to represent those with positive roleplay, who are being overshadowed by general stereotype that everything, or a large part of that in roleplay thread would be negative.

I believe the warning should be put up as a sticky thread along with the rules within the roleplay thread and that it should be re-phrased. That way it does not discourage people as much, is not an annoyance and still carries out its role in warning people that some of the threads can get slightly unpleasant.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    general stereotype that everything, or a large part of that in roleplay thread would be negative.
    14 out of 20 visible threads on the first page have been tainted by roleplaytrollplay overflow, including your own threads. Are you implying that the majority of the roleplay forum isn't a vile place?

The fact of the matter is, the only way to avoid excessive flame is to never, ever interact with other factions and players. Those threads that have avoided flame are few and far between.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The fact of the matter is, the only way to avoid excessive flame is to never, ever interact with other factions and players. Those threads that have avoided flame are few and far between.
    If that is the case then we will never find human dignity within StarMade politics. They will continue to be nothing but flames and trolling, and will never be enjoyed again.

So who is at fault? The members of the staff? Is this viewed as the best way to handle these matters? Besides, fair isn't always fair.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    fucking THIS. All that needs to be communicated on that page is that there are separate rules. Beyond that is just a massive, site-sponsored shitpost (I would know, I'm an expert).

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    There seems to have been a massive slowdown in posts in the role-play section. I think it's entirely doing its job.

Reactions: Winterhome