Recontruction Mode

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So today while taking a very long drive home, I had an idea for build mode.

Everyone knows whats it like after being in combat and taking a moment to assess your ships current status, it can be a bit depressing at times. When your ship is heavily damaged, it sometimes isn't worth repairing, so you scrap the ship and get a new one because repairs are far too complicated (if you're like me then you can't remember how you built it).

Well my idea to add a new mode inside of build mode that when enabled, will show a faint image of a missing block adjacent to a surviving block. This way a player can perform some basic repairs on a ship before they return base. I think it would be pretty good to have this next to shipyards to repair your ship if you need a few repairs done if you don't have access to anything that can fully repair your ship (which is what I expect shipyards to also do).

Anyway this was just an idea I had earlier today and thought I might share it with the community, so if you read this then thank you and I really hope someone agrees with me on this.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think that in the future one will be able to auto-repair ships at shipyards.

Reactions: Zilvs
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I Think That You should Make a Repair Thing like Astrotech, but It repairs blocks and must Have blocks or a shop and credits to work.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Shipyards will have a ship repair functionality, and it's currently in development. No ETA though, so don't expect it any time soon. But at least rest assured that there will be a way to automatically repair ship, eventually.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... I don't think you're supposed to be able to repair on the fly, but shipyards will definitely have a "repair to blueprint" feature.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well Mabye You could Have a repair Station, like in startrek, just you fly through, and get repaired.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well Mabye You could Have a repair Station, like in startrek, just you fly through, and get repaired.
    That's exactly what a shipyard is. You fly in, dock, and you can access a Shipyard Computer that lets you repair the ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I mean like Fly through some rings and it activeates.
    That's not how Star Trek's shipyards work either. They're basically just structures where you can dock and repair starships, not some kind of magical repair ring system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well Thats not what I meant. I meant That You trigger it and it repairs and places blocks on the ship that the beam hits.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439231435,1439231351][/DOUBLEPOST]But to not be too OP it should take some time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, dunno if it even needs to be a beam, treat it like as mentioned, advanced reboot available at advanced shops, takes x secs per block with a max number of blocks allowed per time frame just to keep it as a *outpost repair* function as opposed to a *drydock* shipyard repair.

Maybe only allow ships with less than 10%(?) damage to use this?

Reactions: Zilvs
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree, but maybe 20-30% would be fair.
    Or only 10% per system, counting armor as a system, up to 90-95%, reflecting limited facilities at an outpost.

That would mean that if you have various levels of damage throughout the ship you could get "outpost" type repairs fixing damaged blocks first then adding blocks per BP to the 10% giving a ship the ability to "limp to drydock".

Another mechanic to add to this system would be to make astrotech actually useful by turn *it* into the battlefield repair system.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Another mechanic to add to this system would be to make astrotech actually useful by turn *it* into the battlefield repair system.
    Oh man, this. I like the idea of having something akin to an R2 unit repairing my ship in the heat of battle. Sometimes I lose a part of a weapon array, and don't realize it until I see my damage numbers are all out of whack. Having a system to report on and repair damage to subsystems before the blocks are completely destroyed could be an interesting way of adding combat resiliency.

That said, I kind of like the idea of not being able to fully repair a ship without docking it. In-space repairs should be temporary patch jobs to get you home, which have to be tore down for a full repair in dock. One nice thing about this is that it encourages ship to stay "close" to a home base for eventual resupply. Having a fully self-contained deep-space ship that doesn't need to dock often should be a design challenge IMO, not something you solve by dropping in a new subsystem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, thats sort of the idea, a suppoort ship that can do battlefield repairs or maybe a podlike thing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I kind of like this idea.. but I was thinking more in the line before of having NPCs or repair bots that can wander around your ship replacing/repairing blocks for you-- so long as your ship is stopped, or in orbit around a planet.