Planned Reasonable Tool Ideas

Reaction score
    I'm posting this here since no one pays attention to the Steam forums. :(

There's a few tool ideas I'd really like to see implemented that would be incredibly useful and cut construction times down considerably.

First off: a "build to me" tool. Pretty simple, you stand at some point in space and it builds off the face you're looking at to your position in the relative XYZ axis. So standing at 34,600,5 looking at a block at 0,0,0 on the X face would build a line of blocks from 0 to 34. Has to work with symmetry.

Next: an easier to use copy paste: It's a pretty simple concept, and could even be a little check box in the advanced build, or whatever. The way it works is you bring up the copy, click on one block with left click, the other with right click, and the cube created by the vectors is now the copied area. Paste wouldn't have to be changed. No more having to pick a precise box using the sliders.

And last but not least: a curve building helper. Much like the circle/donut/ellipsoid helpers, but with 3 points. The start, the middle, and the end. And adding the functionality of all 4 helpers being able to have their points be picked by where the user is standing instead of by clicking on an existing block. It could be another checkbox and possibly use the middle mouse button? It's not for me to decide the details.

In fact, maybe an additional functionality could be the ability to use the middle mouse button to indicate "where I'm standing" instead of having to click on an existing block for many of the Advanced Build tools.

Anyway, I really appreciate this game and all it's efforts. A few more ease-of-use tools always go a long way to improve quality of life, though. Especially in a game where creative building is vital. Just thought I'd start a thread for tools ideas since I didn't see a reasonable and up-to-date one. I have many other tool ideas, I just thought I'd list the more basic ones first.

I have many other, often more complicated, ideas that I could share, but I thought I'd start here and see what people think. Stacking being one of them, which would be super useful for long halls.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    You can already use the build helper to build curves... Just don't fill in the whole circle/oval.

Better copy paste is a common request :)
    I like your idea for it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, I'm talking specifically a 3 point curve, one that changes in the middle.
    I think you can do that with the torus shape for that, torus radius for the distance between the begin and end point of the curve and the tube radius for the point in the middle point. Then as MacThule said, don't fill everything.

Reaction score
    That's really complicated to set up, and not really practical. I'm talking like 1/4x^3 kind of curve. You can just bing that and it'll show you.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It would be more convenient to be able to order custom curves (and circles, squares, cubes and spheres for that matter) by setting the bounding points on an existing structure. I believe that programming the engine to do that might be prohibitive though, and if you have a look at just the top three pages of suggestions and be sure to look at the actual next two years or so of announced development timeline, you'll see why picking your battles might be an important issue here. Two of your three main ideas were great and I love the idea of being able to set a copy cube by defining the bounding points. I just think that the custom curve algorithms might be a lot to ask from a game that has so much more on the table than just design in and of itself. If it were a CAD program, sure.

If the dev team could implement something like that with relative ease, I'd be super happy. We all would.

There's just a whole butt ton of other basic engine and functionality stuff still being developed as well, and given that the ability to define custom curves (however inconvenient) currently exists, I personally would rather see broken and incomplete stuff like shipyards get fixed, fleet functionality get finished, drone mining get fixed, NPCs get fully implement beyond the current stub subroutines, etc.

But I would always support any substantial build mode improvements that don't drain massive amounts of man-hours from currently defined goals!

Reaction score
    Well, I don't believe a build-to-me tool would take more than a few hours to program. To optimize, maybe a little longer. I don't know what language they're using, but in terms of Java/C++, I can't see it taking much more than a while/for loop class. I was mostly just throwing some ideas out there to get the discussion rolling. The most important one to me is for sure the build to me. It doesn't even need a GUI component at all either, which is part of the beauty and simplicity of it. It would also make curves a lot easier because you wouldn't have to fiddle with the sliders between (possibly) every addition. I mean, if a build-to-me isn't possible for whatever crazy reason, at least make changing XYZ sliders a hotkey. Shift+X/C/Z for up in X/Y/Z and Ctrl+X/C/Z for down, perhaps?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hai,
    Congrats! This suggestion has been recognised by the council and the devs, it has been added to the phabricator workflow. You can check out all the accepted suggestions that have been added to the planned list over here http://phab.starma.de/tag/group_council/
    (you have to scroll all the way to the right to see them)

I hope many more fine suggestions will come from you.

(I will totally not use this as a copy paste message)

The easier copy part has been added to the planned roadmap.

Reactions: Jojomo

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    For reference:
    T1847 Easier copying

Feel free to signup and subscribe to the task to get e-mail notifications once it hits release/dev-builds.

- Andy