Reason for having an interior

Would You like to have this system in game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, so it seems like we've hit another dead end, so here's another suggestion:
    What if we use a similar system with open space within a ship (along with a couple other requirements like a door, use, etc.) to what we currently have with variable weapon systems. Each room that meets the parameters would give an Overall upgrade to ALL systems based on how much surface area the inside of the room had (to account for wiring/piping that could be contained within the block etc.) Just like the current weapon systems, they would have a 100 point meter for each possible upgrade, power, power storage, shields, and weapon damage. Each would be set at 25%, and could be varied to give a slightly higher output to each kind of upgrade (but not equivalent a block itself.). The value of each upgraded stat could also be determined by how many of those utility blocks you already have.

Tweak and Criticize as you like :)

-Cheers! :D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ok, so it seems like we've hit another dead end, so here's another suggestion:
    What if we use a similar system with open space within a ship (along with a couple other requirements like a door, use, etc.) to what we currently have with variable weapon systems. Each room that meets the parameters would give an Overall upgrade to ALL systems based on how much surface area the inside of the room had (to account for wiring/piping that could be contained within the block etc.) Just like the current weapon systems, they would have a 100 point meter for each possible upgrade, power, power storage, shields, and weapon damage. Each would be set at 25%, and could be varied to give a slightly higher output to each kind of upgrade (but not equivalent a block itself.). The value of each upgraded stat could also be determined by how many of those utility blocks you already have.

Tweak and Criticize as you like :)

-Cheers! :D
    Why would generic empty space increase the power of systems? This seems to basically be what myself and others are already suggesting, except without the NPC component.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Why would generic empty space increase the power of systems? This seems to basically be what myself and others are already suggesting, except without the NPC component.
    No no I mean the surface area (Walls, Ceilings and Floors) of the room, which could contain wires and other things that would theoretically increase the efficiency of a system. And unlike you guys I'm dealing with surface area instead of volume and a variable upgrade to all systems, which makes it more worthwhile to have space within a ship than to have just generic blocks there.

Reaction score
    Lecic, that's a nice little idea... I'd love to have something like robots/NPCs repair my ship or something. I don't like the astrotechnician system... it's annoying, and I can't find a use for it when I play solo (mostly because there is no one to repair my ship).

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Vyor, You aren't making any sense. None. None whatsoever. That's all I have to respond with.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Let me put this another way since you all seem to be completely god damned brain dead:

You do not need to add something to incentivise something that is already done!!!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Let me put this another way since you all seem to be completely god damned brain dead:

You do not need to add something to incentivise something that is already done!!!
    Why not?

Why shouldn't we have more incentive to build interiors?

Vyor, you need to tone it down a bit. If you were a thermometer, you'd currently be leaking mercury on the floor from blowing your top off. You're insulting people and going into ALL CAPS RAGE. You aren't even explaining your points anymore, just screaming like a crazy man with a soap box and a megaphone.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Am I one of the few then that builds an interior on all ships that can have one?, I have been doing this since the first starmade, even on small-medium ships I have a door you can walk through to get inside the ship and a small interior.....lol, it's part of the ship building process, I always thought. On my medium size to titans I always have interiors, hanger bays, medical ,beds ,storage, engine room, reactor room, different levels with shops ,security rooms, etc. I know it takes quite awhile to get done, but the end result is pretty damn amazing. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Vyor said:
    [With proper grammar: "The red text is mine."]
    First off, please respond normally, so I can actually quote you, unless your intention is to try and "win" the argument by making me not want to bother responding.
    Er, for the record, filling in between someone's paragraphs or sections in a quote-reply with differently-formatted text is a fairly normal method of replying to massive multi-idea quotes...

You do not need to add something to incentivise something that is already done.
    Yes you do, if there's currently no real reason and it actually provides a slight disadvantage to add an interior.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's easier for the first person replying, but then it's a huge pain for the next person to reply. Usually, I just divide it into little sub quote boxes
    Yeah, I know; I do that too, mostly for that reason. But I was just saying, he wasn't trying to 'win' by using a horrendous format nobody is physically capable of replying to, he was just using a slightly awkward reply method, but one that isn't all that unusual...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What disadvantage? Remember, it has to be the same mass.
    Interior hull and decoration blocks' mass in power, weaponry, effect blocks, or shields > interior hull and decoration blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Interior hull and decoration blocks' mass in power, weaponry, effect blocks, or shields > interior hull and decoration blocks.
    Already showed the math on this. The ability difference is tiny. Show me a million black ship with over 10k decoration blocks that can't be scaled down (a solid mass of crystal can be made hollow for instance), and we'll talk.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Already showed the math on this. The ability difference is tiny. Show me a million black ship with over 10k decoration blocks that can't be scaled down (a solid mass of crystal can be made hollow for instance), and we'll talk.
    That may be so, but the smaller class a ship, the more percentage of mass the interior is. I'm not saying the interior block mass of a million block battleship is the same mass as a 200m cruiser, but the ratio of interior:system is much higher in the small ship regardless.

Anyway, Vyor, why exactly are you so against having crew members that give you bonuses on stations, and possibly needing quarters? What else do you think NPCs are going to do, anyway? Just sit there for decoration?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That may be so, but the smaller class a ship, the more percentage of mass the interior is. I'm not saying the interior block mass of a million block battleship is the same mass as a 200m cruiser, but the ratio of interior:system is much higher in the small ship regardless.

Anyway, Vyor, why exactly are you so against having crew members that give you bonuses on stations, and possibly needing quarters? What else do you think NPCs are going to do, anyway? Just sit there for decoration?
    But smaller ships are going to have less of them having an interior anyway(ratio wise)! Use mass, not size!

I see them actually doing things, fixing parts, firing weapons with more accuracy(specifically turrets), things like that.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    But smaller ships are going to have less of them having an interior anyway(ratio wise)! Use mass, not size!

I see them actually doing things, fixing parts, firing weapons with more accuracy(specifically turrets), things like that.
    You are being so unbelievably dense. An interior on a small ship is going to, ratiowise, weigh more than the big ship interior. For an example, both the small and the large ship have a Captain's Quarters. The quarters both have a 2 block bed, a lamp, a plant, and are the same size. Which one is a greater percentage of the ship's mass?

First of all, running computers on the main ship is ACTUALLY DOING THINGS. Secondly, I agree with all of this stuff, I just think they should do more than just that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You are being so unbelievably dense. An interior on a small ship is going to, ratiowise, weigh more than the big ship interior. For an example, both the small and the large ship have a Captain's Quarters. The quarters both have a 2 block bed, a lamp, a plant, and are the same size. Which one is a greater percentage of the ship's mass?
    You are enforcing conformity onto 2 different sizes of ships? Generally, smaller ships have less rooms, this balances out the ratio.

First of all, running computers on the main ship is ACTUALLY DOING THINGS. Secondly, I agree with all of this stuff, I just think they should do more than just that.
    I am just saying that it shouldn't be a straight buff. As a game dev, I make it my business to avoid those whenever possible(leveling up weapons won't give a massive boost in power, but make them do something on top of it's general functions, like burning or bouncing bullets).