Random fun challenge: let's build a fleet :D

Reaction score
    d/led the Lobster both because it is amazing and to use as a reference.
    I wanted to make something similar but different... well, different won't be hard, I don't think I could ever make something like the Lobster. But I liked the segmented hull and the gill-like antenna.

I also thought of mine as a frigate.. but if the Lobster is a Frigate than I guess mine will be more like a dinghy, lol.
    I initially called it the Lancer, but upon further reflection, the final version will be the Prawn. I highly doubt I'll even attempt to do anything like the Lobster's reactor or shield generator though. (a couple of crappy WIPs in the background. Also spawning the Lobster made my prototype Destroyer vanish and I hadn't saved in a while... oh well.)

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    d/led the Lobster both because it is amazing and to use as a reference.
    I wanted to make something similar but different... well, different won't be hard, I don't think I could ever make something like the Lobster.
    Thanks a lot, nice to know that it's appreciated, I tried my best :)

I also thought of mine as a frigate.. but if the Lobster is a Frigate than I guess mine will be more like a dinghy, lol.
    I initially called it the Lancer, but upon further reflection, the final version will be the Prawn.
    I think "Prawn-class corvette" would be both an accurate classification, and tie in well with the fact that it's structurally similar to its "Lobster" predecessor.

I highly doubt I'll even attempt to do anything like the Lobster's reactor or shield generator though. (a couple of crappy WIPs in the background. Also spawning the Lobster made my prototype Destroyer vanish and I hadn't saved in a while... oh well.)
    I would agree that it's better not to build make-believe engineering rooms into smaller ships, especially not for both the power reactor and shield recharger. Internal space is more scarce and should be used more economically in smaller structures, even though it would be nice to see high levels of interior realism in smaller ships too.

Also, it's nice to see that someone decided to try to approximate the general style of the ship in the OP, besides sticking to the relaxed building rules. Ideally, everyone would have took that approach, resulting in a more harmonious, more believable fleet, but all's OK anyhow.

The screenshot you shared looks promising, can't wait to see it evolve... Have fun building it! (y)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Looking good! (y)
    I like how bulky but still rounded-on-the-edges it is. It's also nice how those docked wings fit so seamlessly... What's the fictional explanation of having foldable wings on it, though?

I'm kind of a weapons noob, but I recall reading something like separate entities with weapon systems and AI modules, docked on normal rails, have some limited targeting ability too. Obviously, the chance of actually being able to hit targets with those wing guns will be higher when using guided missiles, especially heat-seekers. I'd experiment with that.
    Thanks ! It's an assault ship, IMO, it needed to be bulky "tank style". Foldable wings are here for a compact docking of these squadrons. I have a carrier in my mind....

You're right about targeting abilities. Thats why central front turrets (A.M.S) are on 2 axis even if the first one isn't able to move. It seems to add some targeting degrees. Who's talking about exploit?!?

Wings will be filled by A.M.S and Lock On, like I.R.L fighters could use... :whistle:

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic