Rejected Rails as a option not a replacement

G

GDPR 302420

Rail systems have while made things like helicopter blades, windmills and hidden turrets possible they have removed a large amount of functionality of ships in the original turrets, such as.

*You can no longer buy Turret Docks, and Docking modules and their respective enhancers from shops this meaning.

* Bobby AI is now useless, the only use for BOBBY AI was turrets because they meant you were able to defend your ship from attack from all angles not just in front of you if you're keeping rails you may as well just remove the block, in turn this means

* Point defence is no longer practical
    * Station Defences are no longer able to defend non-HB protected bases
    * Drones can no longer be all undocked from the touch of a button to be mass deployed in battle making them useless

* Turrets can now no longer turn to where their enemies are now the entire ship needs to turn just to target a single fighter

* You now require large logic systems to make a single turret wasting space that could be used for power or shields

So Schema if you really care about your player base heed this suggestion and bring back the ability to purchase turret docks from shops

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    hate to be that guy, but i couldnt disagree more.

How do turrets require complex logic set ups now sorry?

How is a turret that clips through the ship to fire at some obscure angle in any way an improvement over a little fore-thought...?

And bobby ai's arent useless, i have found (besides the fps issues that are soon to be fixed) my turrets work fine, and my PDT's are pretty effective

Oh and mass undocking is still possible with rails

Not trying to be an arse honest, the rail turrets are certainly imho a massive improvement. Yes they have some drawbacks, but most of those you are only aware of because of the previous turrets and there issues (clipping, size etc)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Turrets can now no longer turn to where their enemies are now the entire ship needs to turn just to target a single fighter
    But this is pretty OP. If I have a massive turret and it can clip through my ship to one-shot you, that's pretty unfair when we consider the alternative that comes with the rail system. The limitations of a rail based turret prevent a turret from landing a hit if it is physically blocked. A large ship with large guns should not be be focusing fire on smaller turrets. Your suggestion here is enabling the "terrible" gameplay that players so often complain about. That the larger ship always wins. If you want fighters to get hit by massive turrets, then fighters are pointless and everyone should simply fight with a large ship and big guns.

If you want a turret with a wide range of motion that utilizes rails, then it falls to the player to design a system that can achieve those goals, not the devs. There have to be levels of balance here.

You now require large logic systems
    The only blocks required for a turret are 1 turret axis, 2 dockers, 2 cores, 1 weapon computer, 1 weapon block, and 1 bobby AI module. Someone on my server achieved a 3x3x3 AMS turret last night. This is not substantially larger than the AMS turrets that players were already producing. On top of that, shielding is no longer required on turret structures. Motherships grant some protection there, leaving more room for weapon systems overall.

Drones can no longer be all undocked from the touch of a button to be mass deployed in battle making them useless
    You can mass-undock objects with rails. It is featured in the release video on the main StarMade channel.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    rejected label require methinks ... no offence but you don't represent 'the player base'

G

GDPR 302420

And bobby ai's arent useless, i have found (besides the fps issues that are soon to be fixed) my turrets work fine, and my PDT's are pretty effective
    If you can create a PDT with rail systems (a.k.a the turrets that can only fire straight up, down, left or right) then i would love to see how they work by all means please, pm me with a link to the community content page where this is possible.

rejected label require methinks ... no offence but you don't represent 'the player base'
    Last time i checked non-constructive arguments are not allowed on suggestion forums, feel free to correct me if a i am wrong

Your suggestion here is enabling the "terrible" gameplay that players so often complain
    about. That the larger ship always wins. If you want fighters to get hit by massive turrets, then fighters are pointless and everyone should simply fight with a large ship and big guns.
    The comment made by starhaiden makes your argument invalid

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you can create a PDT with rail systems (a.k.a the turrets that can only fire straight up, down, left or right) then i would love to see how they work by all means please, pm me with a link to the community content page where this is possible.
    Sure, i'll upload them later when I get back from work

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    * Turrets can now no longer turn to where their enemies are now the entire ship needs to turn just to target a single fighter
    If you want a turret with a wide range of motion that utilizes rails, then it falls to the player to design a system that can achieve those goals, not the devs. There have to be levels of balance here.
    Actually, I have done this. It utilizes unconnected blocks. It's kinda cool to watch, but it's still a bit cheaty. The only issue I have with targeting is the Bobby, which needs reworked anyway.

Red, you might also want to look at this video, made by Schine. Check out the section that starts at 3:26

Last edited:
    G

GDPR 302420

Actually, I have done this. It utilizes unconnected blocks. It's kinda cool to watch, but it's still a bit cheaty. The only issue I have with targeting is the Bobby, which needs reworked anyway.
    Really?
    download.jpg

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Place your turret base and weapon base dead center inside your hull. Extend your gun construction to the exterior, build up your systems, then remove anything between the center and the actual gun. Complete spherical movement of your weapons turret.

>
    T > W
    >

T - Turret Dock / Rail Basic
    > - Ship Hull
    W - Weapon

T and W are technically the same entity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just make sure you extend it out far enough so it doesn't collide with your ship and pay attention to the orientation of your blocks. Both vertical and horizontal turret docks need to be dead center. Kinda like a cross on the center of your ship. These can't collide with anything either, so give them space.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Simple PD turret with a large Field of Fire
    they can be made much smaller than this

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    I can confirm mass undocking works. You can even set up sequential launch really easily, so you can stack more drones in a given rack and have them launch in waves (this is laggy as all hell at the minute, at least on my computer). If not you can just use rail units in the same way you'd use the old docking modules.

As for turrets, you really just need to think more about turret placement then before. Though, I agree their AI could use some work to improve them, still a lot better than the turrets just clipping through things.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I understand how the new turrets are much more complicated Red.

I have had trouble coming up with a good turret design and it doesn't help when my Bobby AI seems to not even care it's on a turret :/

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Place your turret base and weapon base dead center inside your hull. Extend your gun construction to the exterior, build up your systems, then remove anything between the center and the actual gun. Complete spherical movement of your weapons turret.

>
    T > W
    >

T - Turret Dock / Rail Basic
    > - Ship Hull
    W - Weapon

T and W are technically the same entity.
    I actually discovered this too. you can also stack multiple turrets by continuously extending the cross enabling potentially unlimited gyroscopic turrets.

i already have some designs in the works that utilize this as well as an upcoming video that will explain it

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius

Last time i checked non-constructive arguments are not allowed on suggestion forums, feel free to correct me if a i am wrong

The comment made by starhaiden makes your argument invalid
    Not really. A larger ship should not be capable of taking on 100 smaller but collectively equally sized ships. The size differentiation between a 100,000 mass ship and 10 10,000 mass ship isn't as bad as betweem a 100,00 mass ship and 100 1,000 mass ships. It should be harder or take longer for a larger ship to kill a smaller ship the more smaller it gets unless that target is literally standing still at point blank range.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In the OP, what did you mean by it cant turn? You have to use 2 turret axes. One on the ship facing horizontal or vertical, and one on the base facing the other direction. Also, you have to put the AI in the turret barrel, not the base.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've designed a few small turrets specifically for being used as PDTs, and they look way nicer than anything I could have built pre-rails update.

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Try this mate (awaiting approval at time of post)