Rail gun

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    a Rail gun fire high explosive at high speed and very long range. It would use up alot of power and have a slow firing rate. If the sell hits a shield it exploads cause litte damage to the shield;It will break one harden hull or 2 normal hull and than expload. It will have a two block blast radius. range and rate of fire can be impoved by use more rail gun blocks, but the blast radius stray the same

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For any artillery piece to be useful you need to fire out of your ennemy\'s line of sight, but with the game, it also implies out of yours.

Obviously useless long range against small ships, but say you use a probe/tiny fighter to spot an enemy capital a few sectors away, then you tell the arty piece roughly the direction. You can then help them adjust.

I don\'t know. I know AMC eventually fire 10 sectors away lol

Reaction score
    Put damage to 100% on your amc and it fires a frisbee like laser very slow but massive damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dont think you understand what a railgun is.

\"slow\" is by definition the first thing that disqualifies something from being a railgun. \"a rail gun can accelerate a projectile up to 52,493 feet (16,000 meters) per second. And while current Navy guns have a maximum range of 12 miles, rail guns can hit a target 250 miles away in six minutes.\"

This means a slow projectile that has pitiful range is out of the question. The problem is for a railgun to be implimented it would need a base size, or a set minimum dimension to work. I would say 1x10x10 (tallxwidexlong), because the range would be so high and the velocity would be so high 1 block should have that kind of capabilities. It should eat a lot of power, and regardless of size should have a minimum of 20 seconds for reload. The last thing we need is Railgun bullets flying around every 2 seconds.

Furthermore, i would say a railgun would need to eat up quite a bit of power per shot, rising statically, not exponetially so its feasable to make large RG\'s. I would say that the size should scale exponentially, probably like power tanks, but to a lesser degree so that the more you have the more powerful it gets, but should require atleast 1,000 blocks before it starts to really increase drastically. Damage i would have to say would need to be higher then AMC guns, with less AoE then a rocket of any type or size but more speed than any of them combined, it is a railgun afterall. I would also say the guns parts should cost more then any of the other cannons, simply because it will be so powerful on large ships. I would also say that if the gun was to fire on shields it should do about 2/3 the damage, because they can be quite powerful.

Generally lacking of details OP. If you want something added you really need to think it through.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun.htm

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54aLcC3G74

You can see the loading is very slow, and teh size is pretty big.

Reaction score
    I think asking for specific weapons at this point is a little much. Shouldn\'t the focues instead be on tweaking current weapons/armor/shield mechanics? Also, instead of a whole new weapon that has a very specific type and purpose, something like \"beams\" \"lasers\" \"bombs\" would be more helpful - broad categories. You can already build a \"Rail Gun\" if you want, by stacking enough AMCs, then tweaking the stats, to give tremendous range and fire power and velocity at the cost of reload speed. You can\'t, however, build a Beam Cannon with AMCs, no matter how you tweak/build it.

I am in agreement with adding AoE damage to the AMC, though. If you have a 2x2 barrel+output on your gun, it should fire roughly 4x stronger, 4x slower, and have a slight amount of area damage vs. a 1x1 barrel+output. (Also, adding more AMCs to any array should REDUCE fire speed, not increase it. Which essentially turn AMCs into Rail Guns, like you want)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A rail gun simply describes the method in which the projectile is accelerated.

Beyond that, the AMC already fills this role, you can reduce reload time and increese damage/range to gain the desired effect.

Reaction score
    I\'ve tried using AMC before to make something that was similar in both fire rate and damage to a railgun but you hit a snag with how much you can change the stats.
    When I tried I started with a cannon that did about 500 damage (these numbers aren\'t 100% accerate since I don\'t have the design anymore) and had a good rate of fire but after investing all the points to damage without changing anything else I ended with 650 damage and a crap fire rate which per second did less damage than the stock stats.
    But something I\'d like to see different with the railgun that would make it feel unique would be a charge up time were you would have to hold down the trigger so the railgun can charge up its shot before firing like with Halo 4\'s railgun and the Mini-Mac turret at the end of Halo: Reach\'s campaign.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I\'d rather have a medium damage, high speed, high range gun that has absolutely horrid reload time that has to charge up for say, 5-10 seconds before firing. To the point where it should only be mounted on capitals and big subcapitals for the reload speed. Something like a first strike shock and awe weapon. I\'d also like to see a counterpart to that, with higher \"reload speed\", but a lower range. Think beam weapon, like a planet glasser from Halo or Amarr from EVE.

Reaction score
    I still say that additional AMC blocks in a cannon should REDUCE fire rate, not increase it. Although, adding a general ballistics-type weapon than can smash through blocks, does less actual DPS, and a much slower fire-rate+velocity, would be pretty neat to have added (assuming AMCs become more anti-shield weapons).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In my opinion, adding new weapons is a little ambitious at this stage, but a good topic to start now so that they can be added quickly later.

Each weapon should have not only a seperate function, but a seperate building doctrine. For example, rail guns should have the previously stated stats (High damage, speed, and range for low fire rate), but building in a forward facing line produces a better system than a large cube.

Another way of giving weapons their own feel is making bell curve effectiveness. For example, a (insert random number, say 40) block AMC would be peak efficiency. As you get closer to 40, your power vs block number ratio increases. A 45 block cannon would be more powerfull, but not per block. Each weapon could have a seperate number of blocks before the effectiveness per block degrades.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Its ambitious yes, but its also not expected to be added tomorrow. for one the OP was very vague as to what a \"railgun\" is, in his opinion. If it had more details and was more thought out, it would be far better. But as others have said they have enough with balancing weapons we have and blocks we have, but its never to early to throw ideas out there; for future reference.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    It was more of a \"Railguns - discuss.\" thread.

Atlesst everyone here had some sort of input.

Reaction score
    This is quite a strange array of responses.

On-topic: A rail gun is quite a specific weapon with a set definition. I like the idea of keeping blast radius the same regardless of number blocks attached(though possibly allow small adjustments in the weapons tab). Though, I think that the damage should be variable, but still very high. The only real question is the scaling and magnitude of the range. FYI:the ai is capable of aiming and shooting well beyond 2km (albiet inaccurately).

Reaction score
    Charging a rail gun makes no sense. They function by having an array of capaciters that charge up, but as soon as you pull the trigger, they fire. There is already a meter for the ship power levels. Just have rail guns take a large chunck of it each time it fires.

Technically speaking, in an ideal rail cannon, they can fire as many times as you want, so long as you have the power ready for it. So if implimented in this game, there would be no reload time. The speed at which you can fire is based on your energy levels and recharge rate. Bigger guns take more energy, etc. There isnt even need for any stats beyond a set damage and energy consumption per block added to the rail gun assembly. Maybe projectile speed, but really, a space rail gun is expected to shoot a fast projectile regardless of size.

Reaction score
    I forgot mypassword and my account infromation so i had to make a new one. I have come ack to clarify some things, First off

I dont think you understand what a railgun is.

\"slow\" is by definition the first thing that disqualifies something from being a railgun. \"a rail gun can accelerate a projectile up to 52,493 feet (16,000 meters) per second. And while current Navy guns have a maximum range of 12 miles, rail guns can hit a target 250 miles away in six minutes.\"

I know exactly what a railgun is, By slow rate of fire i was refering to the \"reload time\". I was not saying anything about the speed of the projectile.

Please define long range

How long is long? How much power is a lot?

I think three times the range of the AMC. This gun is meant for battleships, heavy and ligth cruiser, and possibly destoryers. I was thinking that power need for the gun counld only be made by a large ship.

by stacking enough AMCs, then tweaking the stats, to give tremendous range and fire power and velocity at the cost of reload speed. You can\'t, however, build a Beam Cannon with AMCs, no matter how you tweak/build it.

While the AMC is a weapon that mostly damages the surface of a ships hull (Aka armor), The railgun would instead cause more damage to the inside of the ship by making a small but long hole in the armor and exploding inside of the ship and thus causing major system failure. The penetration for a small railgun should be 1 block of hardened and 2 blocks of the standard, a medium railgun should go through 2 blocks of hardened and 4 blocks of standard and A FREAKIN HUGE RAIL GUN Should destroy 4 blocks of Hardened and 8 blocks of standard hull. The ofseting factor of this should be its cost, power drain, Rate of fire (or in caveman speak \"reload time\"), and its reative medium sheild damage. The projectile explodes when it dosent encount any hull blocks after penetrating.

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/content/how-about-covanet-glassing-beam-halo-or-maby-mac-cannon-unsc-halo

read all the posts. we have almost balenced it completly out.

Reaction score
    Aslo I would like to say that I made my post on 8/06/2013 and that my weapon concept is vastly different then yours beacause your ammo is soild slug and mine is a bomb or a shell. Soild ammo would just pass thougth the ship, cause less damage then a if it was a shell.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I feel like you can create such weapons with the cmbination of amcs and missiles because if you deactivate an enemirs shields wth an amc array then shoot a missile into the hole you created then yea... rail gun effect that uses skill and not just lazyness lol. Play around with your weapon stats and positioning to figure out how to do this best and just have fun with it.