Quick question on logic

Reaction score
    Can logic blocks activate thruster groups?

Reason:

I want to use Bobby AI modules to make small torpedoes "face" a target, and then use wireless logic to activate their thrusters so they just ram themselves into the thing they are facing (with warheads on the front, of course). Because the wiki says that ship mode will attempt to move and evade fire, but nothing about just suicide ramming.

These would be Anti-Capital torpedoes on a Destroyer I am making. It would have a single big beam weapon to try and snipe out the shields of a larger ship, and then launch its torpedoes and maintain the beam weapon so the torps can reach their destination. Naturally, both the ship and the torpedoes will be big enough to make a serious impact and to ensure the torps can't get AMS'ed too easily.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why not just have a separate mode for torpedoes to RAM enemy ships? I have been asking for it for years!

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    I just need to know logic can activate groups of thruster blocks!

If not, then please make it so schema!

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No,but it can repeatedly activate a push-effect computer to achieve the same thing.

Reaction score
    Oh thats a good idea. one structure docked to another as the torpedo, a Warhead and a Push/Pull thruster that can push the warhead towards the enemy.

Wait, can you move a structure by docking a push to it?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    A defensive push effect on a ship will move that ship fowards, this can be activated repetitively with logic, thus creating an automatic "Thrust"

Not from an external ship to guide it along, all self-contained

Reaction score
    Defensive push effect. Like, you can just link push/pull to the ship?

Ill have to do a bit of research. Thanks!

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Defensive push effect. Like, you can just link push/pull to the ship?

Ill have to do a bit of research. Thanks!
    You can link it like a normal passive system, and then link logic to activate it to it. It wont work with a constant high input though, it needs to pulse 1's and 0's.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Activator links to AND which links to PushComp
    Same AND links to a NOT which links to a Delay which links back to the AND.

Turn on activator, watch ship/missile go. Don't forget your push modules. You'll probably want a Wireless to activate, too.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Will the Bobby AI still attempt to ram ships if there are no weapons on board to fire? I think that's all the OP needs, versus logic and push.

Reaction score
    IF i Set it to turret mode I need the AI to make the torpedo face directly at a ship, and I can set up a wireless logic circuit to automatically open the tubes, push out the torpedoes, then arm the torpedoes whilst simultaneously activating a logic repeater to pulse a defensive push module.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Will the Bobby AI still attempt to ram ships if there are no weapons on board to fire? I think that's all the OP needs, versus logic and push.
    with no weapons or no thrust the ai will do nothing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    If your torpedo has a gun of some sort, say a single block cannon with it;s computer, would it not face the enemy in order to fire? If it then also has a logic driven push propulsion system, I would think it would steer itself to the target, no?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    If your torpedo has a gun of some sort, say a single block cannon with it;s computer, would it not face the enemy in order to fire? If it then also has a logic driven push propulsion system, I would think it would steer itself to the target, no?
    go ahead that is the train of thought ... and you notice for some reason it will not do anything untill you add a thruster block and tada the ai aknowledges itself as ship and starts firing at an enemy but you will also notice how it avoids getting to close to the target ...

Reaction score
    couldn't it be solved by using Bobby as Turret ?

this way, The Bobby AI will keep facing the ennemy to shoot its weapons, while it is closing to it due to the Push-effect, this way it will surely ram the ennemy ( if it isn't destroyed before )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've built a torpedo based on Crimson Artist's logic, and it does produce a system that will ram enemy vessels. I tried to create a vehicle that could dock to a larger ship and then engage targets as soon as it was undocked. I experienced a problem where the AI onboard the torpedo kept ramming my own ships. If anyone is interested, I can put the blueprint in community content.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I've built a torpedo based on Crimson Artist's logic, and it does produce a system that will ram enemy vessels. I tried to create a vehicle that could dock to a larger ship and then engage targets as soon as it was undocked. I experienced a problem where the AI onboard the torpedo kept ramming my own ships. If anyone is interested, I can put the blueprint in community content.
    I just want to point out that that is not Crimson Artist's logic. Crimson Artist posted the video, but it is a video by Drakkart, so it is Drakkart's logic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just want to point out that that is not Crimson Artist's logic. Crimson Artist posted the video, but it is a video by Drakkart, so it is Drakkart's logic.
    My apologies for not applying credit where it is due. I remember from several months back when Crimson Artist posted a picture that simplified the logic behind the torpedo. As such, I thought it was his design and that the video on this thread was likely his, too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Been thinking about torpedo's myself. Although I was considering more of a dumb fire route. The reason behind this is to avoid the extra cost of a cannon computer/modual, thrusters, bobby AI, and faction blocks. The nice thing is, if done right, the enemy AMS and PD turrets won't hit them. As they are not factioned. Unless of course the enemy factions is at war with neutral.

Using a "slide lock" that was developed by Loadout (I think it was him anyway, too lazy to check) you could have large amounts of warheads, and just slide them into the launch tube. After which you release it and allow its push system to propel it straight in the direction you are facing.

OH and the reason I suggest the "slide lock" method is because it can prevent extra collisions. Which are never a good thing when you are dealing with live warheads.

The "slide lock" method is displayed on page 54 of "The ultimate drone R&D thread"
    Link: http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-ultimate-drone-r-d-thread.3246/page-54