Questions about computer facing and fire direction

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    The fact that computers must face forward if one's weapons are to fire (forward), is one of those niggly bits of information the lack of which stymie newbies no end. Recently I was informed that it is not that computers need fo face forward in order to fire, but that computers need to face in the direction they fire.

I am now very confused, as I have missile systems that fire to the sides, despite the computers facing forward. That said, the missiles 'fly' forward when I launch them.

If I wish my missiles systems to launch in all four directions, fore and rear, left and right, top and bottom, will they all fire even if linked to a single computer (system)? Will my rear launched missiles still fly forward? Will they even launch?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    So when my salvage beams do not fire because I foolishly mounted them facing in a direction other than forwards, they are in fact firing but firing in a direction I cannot see?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You've probably figured it out by now but, to clear it up for others that may see it: It doesn't matter what direction the modules face, only the computer matters. If the computer is facing port then all weapon groups linked to that comp will fire port. If you want to fire weapons say out the port and starboard sides you will need 2 computers facing port and starboard. If you want them to fire at the same time you will need to logic them up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I kinda wish that projectiles would fire from the facing of the weapon array's output block instead of computer facing. Might be less confusing to new players, and if you have vertically fired weapons systems your computers inside the cockpit won't look weird.

Reaction score
    I think that might be ultimately planned, but can't remember. I'm not sure which would be more useful to me... logic from hotbar or weapons that fire according to output module alignment

Reaction score
    Yes, it would be nice if "the directionality of weps computers determins direction of output" was stated IN THE DESCRIPTION of the block (duh!)

I, a noob, learned this the hard-way not long ago after being puzzled that test firing a tiny cannon-array caused the Shop to become very belligerent and dispatch fighters to come re-adjust my attitude...

So, in conclusion: Moar and better description of Block-Info is needed IN-GAME. There's far too much info that is simply "How was I s'posta know that?" And tutorials don't cover this kind of thing either.

Reaction score
    I'm not sure why they chose the computer orientation versus the module orientation, but it does lead to some really nice effects. You can build a cannon or missile frigate like the old wind powered schooners and galleons, which totally changes the mechanics and tactics from head on targeting to trying to score a broadside. But you would need to set up several computers to handle the different sides.

Personally, I would like to see where the module direction would dictate the direction of fire when right clicked, with focused fire always in the direction of the HUD/Targeting symbol when left clicked. Would be even cooler if you could orientate your missile tubes in all direction, and when you fired, smart missiles would fly out and then curved towards your prey.

FYI, your weapons always fire, regardless what camera you're using and what direction the computer is. They just always fire the direction the computer is facing.