PvP / PvE / RP Poll

What type of server do you prefer to play on? Select all that apply.

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    With the threads popping up lately about PvP vs PvE I thought I would throw up a poll to find out where the community (at least on the forums) lies as far as its demographics. If you vote, please tell us why you prefer the play style / rule set you chose. I am also writing these with the assumption that a server CAN enforce its rules. Via config or admins. I would like everyone to assume the same for the sake of this poll. Full descriptions of each play style are below so that we are all on the same page.

Full Descriptions of Options:

Open World PvP - In this type of server the vanilla rules with regards to PvP are in play. If you are capable of shooting someone then its not against the rules. There are no "Gentleman's Rules" or honer code that anyone must follow(although that doesn't stop someone from following their own code). In this situation you can technically play how you want, but nobody else may be willing to accommodate you.

Role Play Only - In this type of server, combat is expressly forbidden unless it fits within the lore, or story of the server. (Light vs Dark as an example of how combat fits in with its lore) Combat in general must have a basis within the role play to happen. Combat may also be engaged in via arena's or server competition but is not always expected.

PvE Survival - Only combat vs NPC's, or server events / duels are allowed. Players still play in a "Survival" environment and must mine blocks and defend from pirates. They however do not have to worry about other players blowing things up.

Open World PvP With Restrictions - This would be a server in which you are free to PvP as long as you follow some rules. Examples would be "no noob killing without provocation", "Don't attack defenseless ships", or "no attacking warp gates".

Build Server - This is just a creative server. In this case players do not need to mine blocks or build factories. There may be some locations where fighting is allowed such as a group of unprotected sectors. This way players can test their ships but can still build in peace.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Comradecolonel
    Reaction score
    So Briere is ow pvp with restrictions (they have rules if you dig into their forum :D)? What's an ow pvp without restrictions server example? Same goes for and PvE server and a rp only server - do we have any examples? Because I feel there are only build servers and ow pvp with rules out there?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    I haven't been on many servers, so as far as specific examples I cannot say for sure. I was more throwing out examples of what seemed like the natural server/play style archetypes. This is likely more philosophical / theoretical then it is actual.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just saying, while I understand that this is mostly personal curiosity this poll is without value for several reasons.
    1. Many of the people who are actually playing the game currently aren't the people who frequent these forums or care for polls like this, which skews the results towards the sorts of people who do still frequent these forums.
    2. This is alpha; while I don't necessarily believe Duke when he says that 'most' of the potential playerbase for this game hasn't tried it yet, there are certainly plenty of people who don't know about this game yet, and that is largely on purpose.
    3. Making this about PvPers vs. RPers vs. PvEers is besides the point. If the reactor system is genuinely bad for PvPers it's bad for everyone else, too, (except for very strict RPers who will almost always be in the minority) as 'bad for PvPers' just means that there is something wrong with the way that the system is designed and balanced with respect to combat. And if a system is bad RP-wise, then it's most likely going to be at the very least annoying for creative builders too, who might not actually be interested in RPing with their creations (though RPers and builders can generally adapt around issues with systems design, whereas if something is broken in PvP it's because it's broken period)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Since when has the definition of "roleplay" been "a PvP server with a theme"? When I think RP server, I definitely don't think of LvD. I think of servers like tectum clementia, where you needed to roleplay before engaging in combat with someone.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    um.... I am slightly confused by your third point. You mentioned a reactor system. I wasn't trying to imply anything about any specific system, broken or otherwise. I was more interested in what everyone's preferences overall were when it came to play style.

As to #1 I did acknowledge that in my OP. But as those of us on the forums have a greater opportunity to give input into the development of the game, our opinions end up heard more loudly then any others. I'm not saying its good or bad, just that the opinions of those heard tend to out weigh the opinions of those that are silent. Thus I am curious what the overall spread of those opinions are.
    [doublepost=1490411437,1490411338][/doublepost]
    Since when has the definition of "roleplay" been "a PvP server with a theme"? When I think RP server, I definitely don't think of LvD. I think of servers like tectum clementia, where you needed to roleplay before engaging in combat with someone.
    I was trying to use it to illustrator combat within the lore / server rules. Maybe it was a poor example. I do agree with you lecic.

Last edited:

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    So Briere is ow pvp with restrictions (they have rules if you dig into their forum :D)?
    I did not think that Briere has restrictions such as those in the example.

Open World PvP With Restrictions - This would be a server in which you are free to PvP as long as you follow some rules. Examples would be "no noob killing without provocation", "Don't attack defenseless ships", or "no attacking warp gates".
    Link perhaps? I thought it was open world -no- restrictions. I see such rules about "towney" areas of some other game on their site but in the StarMade section I find,

"Multi-Player: An intense strategic community is always established somewhere... you just have to find it! Until then, do your best to escape the heart of the Player-Predators domain to establish yourself and become a Predator yourself or even a Defender of Peace!"

http://www.brierieserver.co.uk/starmade

Seems to almost glorify shooting noobs actually and mentions peacekeeping as an off-hand second choice. srs top kek

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Lecic is correct, Light Vs Dark is an open world PvP server with some RP flavoring, PvE side content, and the option to have a build account separated from all other players. Our rules are based on server performance issues only and some very minor regulation in public chat, along with provisions against crap like item duping.

If certain powers on an open world PvP server were to make a treaty regulating behavior and enforce it themselves (like IRL) this would effectively accomplish the same thing. It's unfortunate people aren't more innovative in these regards, especially on a game that has so many options that extended play like this done strictly among the players would actually add interest to things. I have yet to see these kinds of behavior and it's very unfortunate.

Crashmaster
    This appears to be the proper rule set for Brierie:

http://www.brierieserver.co.uk/foru...457-brieries-starmade-order-1000-series-rules

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    the op forgot a mixed server that offers all play styles ,the server I'm on has separate pve/pvp sectors with a mixed sector and allows players to inteact in a rp style adding meaning to incounters. without this the game seems kind of hollow.

Reaction score
    I run my own build server right now. Once the game goes into beta, I'll start over and turn it into a survival/ RP server.

I want to build my ships a certain way, with a certain look. And while I try to optimize my designs, I won't sacrifice their RP functionality to do so. I think it's because I can't accept that any vessel that exceeds 100m in any direction will only have enough cramped interior space to hold 5 people. Nothing disappoints me more than checking out an awesome build, to find that the interior only takes about 2% of the interior volume.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well this one is a bit difficult as i do not consider a protected spawn and some of the surrounding sectors to be a restriction.

I am all for Open World PvP. A server that just has a protected spawn and the Home Base system is an Open World PvP server in my book.

Only when you start to dictate how clashes need to be played out does it become an Open World PvP with some Restrictions.

Brierie is an Open World PvP. The only time someone got banned for killing others was when Flashlight placed a logic controlled weapon clock near spawn. Which created so much lag it made the server unplayable until i managed to take it down.

The forum posts on Brierie about this.

Reaction score
    i think open world and restricted open world are a little muddled here, but this is nitpicky, it should still give a decent broad scope result

Reaction score
    PVP /PVE is a bit of a loaded term at the moment for this game.

I took both open world choices, i want to play in a open free world with as few rules as possible.

basically these 3 rules are enough for me
    - use common sense
    - do not be an ass
    - do not kill noobs around spawn

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, I voted for both PvE and Restricted Open World.

Mostly because PvE here spelled out that it is survival, focus on obtaining resources. Got no problem with and actually enjoy PvP as long as it has some rules of common decency applied to it (which mostly just boil down to "don't be an ass").

Reaction score
    I did not think that Briere has restrictions such as those in the example.

"Multi-Player: An intense strategic community is always established somewhere... you just have to find it! Until then, do your best to escape the heart of the Player-Predators domain to establish yourself and become a Predator yourself or even a Defender of Peace!"
    Brierie has a general ruleset for StarMade:

http://www.brierieserver.co.uk/foru...457-brieries-starmade-order-1000-series-rules

This ruleset is the basis for admin interaction and is used as a general ruleset for any activity on the server, not just when it comes to PvP.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Actually, my preference would be open world RPvRP.

There's no adventure to role play without antagonists, so let people be dicks - as long as they pretend to be a character of some sort that fits the behavior. Some will be huge, trolling overpowered dicks... like Sauron, or the Galactic Empire. Some will be petty dicks like... well, all the un-memorable petty dicks in stories we love who are so petty we don't remember them:^D. It's early, I just woke up. Anyway, in terms of RP letting people naturally be dicks because they really want to beats by a mile having some GM spawn random NPC attack ships and tell you that they're being dicks so you need to fight them.

It would be nice though if the NPC factions could set their claimed space as "hi-sec" zones so that basically if you fire on anything or anyone within their space, they're going to send a patrol after you. Of course their ships aren't exactly powerhouses, but honestly I think their ships are at exactly the right scale and it goes back to player ships not having tight enough scale limits to allow for any sort of balanced MP gameplay... sorry, tangent. Anyway - if the NPC space was much more dangerous to attack anyone in, then it would be fantastic for MP because noobs and players working up to early mid-game could hide out in NPC space, getting at least a partial mining bonus and some decent automated anti-troll protection. This would work especially well if the Traders were always centered on spawn (or even better if spawning happened at random at the HQ of any of the NPC factions).

Reaction score
    Brierie has some sort of restrictions - not really big ones but just read :

My old faction leader said I am not allowed to build a station inside a advanced shop docked forcefield bubble. He said he talked to the admin and this falls under exploiting the game mechanics as only the HB is allowed to be protected.

BSMO 10-05 Update Exploit

A) Brierie's StarMade server is a VANILLA ONLY server in which the Brierie Staff and its residents are accustomed to playing.
    • Using a found exploit to alter the game in anyway is a Ban-able Offense. This offense is NOT up for appeal.
    • Stumbling onto an exploit is not an offense so long as the exploit is reported and that exploit is not used again.
    Further more Brierie has a no lag rule and a ship size limit of 1500m, and a turret size limit of 500m. The later two I would not see as restrictions, but the "no lag rule" does apply to swarm spammers and the likes I think...

So yeah, Brierie is in some way an open world pvp server with no restrictions...

But I really feel like the "building a station and let it protect from an advanced shop docked hull equals exploiting the game" is a really big restriction...

Can someone else confirm how Brierie handles the advanced shop advantages?

Even though it was somewhat funny, I left that faction where the owner claimed like 10 said advanced shop and blocked all rail ports with some special manufactured station.

So the station is the stuff inside the blue forcefield. The docking port you see there can be retracted and the outer bubble closes then the open hole as well with a glass door.
    starmade-screenshot-0462.png starmade-screenshot-0461.png
    deactivated forcefield:
    starmade-screenshot-0463.png
    So when I heard that I was not allowed to build such station, I felt really restricted. I know its not a real restriction, but for me it was like: "hey Starmade is a sandbox for me and pushing its game mechanic limits is one way of playing it for me; and I had this really nice game mechanic idea, and really engineered some nice expanding docking port that comes out of the advanced shops bubble - and now I hear that this station just might get deleted. =("

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    exploits aka cheats for me falls under rule 1, use common sense, do not cheat :)

And yes using exploits is a kind of cheating, it like say "well the door was open so it was ok to steal the TV" or "all the other guys where speeding so i though it was ok"...