Put maximum sector size at 10,000, not 5,000.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Tried out the 10000 size. Space seems so-

Empty.

God damn, I love it. Now we'll really need some Nav Computers, but I still love this. I've only played one game before where there was this kind of expansiveness between landmarks and I'm glad to say Starmade is customizable like this now.
    ...EVE? All I can think of is EVE. But even there, stuff tended to cluster up a lot.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Lead cube = auto pilot for keyboard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    ...EVE? All I can think of is EVE. But even there, stuff tended to cluster up a lot.
    I haven't played EVE because even though all the things I hear about it sound amazing, I'm told it's basically Spreadsheets THE GAME.

I was talking about Universal Century Gundam Online. It was set in Austrailia and Space. The distances between landmarks was absolutely ridiculous, and actually moving between those areas by MS or ship without the auto travel function could literally take you a couple of hours depending on where you're going to.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I haven't played EVE because even though all the things I hear about it sound amazing, I'm told it's basically Spreadsheets THE GAME.

Ehh, you should at least play the free trial. I disliked the combat system and lack of ability to walk around places with your character, so I quit after the third day or so, but I love the graphics, universe, etc.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Question, does turning up the size of the sectors this high have any negative side effects? I would imagine the empty space shouldn't cause much extra lag and since you may not be constantly changing sectors the game should run smoother. Of course larger sectors can hold more ships, that may cause higher load.

only those belonging to the glorious flight stick master race have that ability. For all of us dirty keyboard & mouse peasants we have to stay in the core and press W for long periods of time. lol
    I do have a flight stick but I've been known to use a tiny mustard jar and hose clamp to weigh my keys down.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Just wanted to say, awesome suggestion! I just set my server at 10,000 and it's awesome, plus it gives me ample room to make my Babylon 5 station 1:1 scale :) ,also did you increase planet size or did you keep that at default?

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    but we also have auto-pilot!
    1: grab a paperclip.
    2: jam it in the keyboard so the W key gets stuck down.
    3: profit!

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    But we do have auto-pilot! Just jam a paper clip in your keyboard so the W key sticks down.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    shoot, somehow double posted the same comment typed differently... lol.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just wanted to say, awesome suggestion! I just set my server at 10,000 and it's awesome, plus it gives me ample room to make my Babylon 5 station 1:1 scale :) ,also did you increase planet size or did you keep that at default?
    I kept at default, only because I forgot to change it. Normally I modify it to vary a lot less, and have a median size of a very comfortable, non-laggy 1.5x-2x default size.

Reactions: mrsinister

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I kept at default, only because I forgot to change it. Normally I modify it to vary a lot less, and have a median size of a very comfortable, non-laggy 1.5x-2x default size.
    ahh, ok I was wondering and thanks again.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i agree,also a nice reason to buff the top speed
    You can always set that yourself... Nobody flies at 50 speed :\

Tried out the 10000 size. Space seems so-

Empty.

God damn, I love it. Now we'll really need some Nav Computers, but I still love this. I've only played one game before where there was this kind of expansiveness between landmarks and I'm glad to say Starmade is customizable like this now.
    ...Also, I know this is a bit late, but this quote sums this entire topic up better than anything else.

Reaction score
    I set my sector size to 5000 and I love it. Wasn't aware it could go higher.

I'd actually quite like to see the game designed around massive sectors. By this I mean that draw distances for planets and suns need to be much higher. Obviously planets will just be little specks in the distance, but not being able to see them at all kind of sucks. Maybe they could be rendered as particularly bright stars at extreme distances. Combat works so much better with larger sectors, and you won't be able to gather all the resources you'll ever need by covering a couple of kilometers' worth of space - so FTL will become an absolute necessity rather than just a convenient way to travel.

I don't see any downsides to larger sectors - hell, it improves the game drastically in my opinion. It's possible that there's some performance drop or lag or some other bug associated with large sectors, but nothing I've noticed so far.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I set my sector size to 5000 and I love it. Wasn't aware it could go higher.

I'd actually quite like to see the game designed around massive sectors. By this I mean that draw distances for planets and suns need to be much higher. Obviously planets will just be little specks in the distance, but not being able to see them at all kind of sucks. Maybe they could be rendered as particularly bright stars at extreme distances. Combat works so much better with larger sectors, and you won't be able to gather all the resources you'll ever need by covering a couple of kilometers' worth of space - so FTL will become an absolute necessity rather than just a convenient way to travel.

I don't see any downsides to larger sectors - hell, it improves the game drastically in my opinion. It's possible that there's some performance drop or lag or some other bug associated with large sectors, but nothing I've noticed so far.
    Yep. A dev once said something like, "We will not add FTL because 'herp derp yay worp drive Enterprise weeee!' We will add it when there is actually a need for it." Well, there is your need. These sectors look and feel amazing, rendering derps aside. All we need is a way to get around comfortably at larger scales.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yep. A dev once said something like, "We will not add FTL because 'herp derp yay worp drive Enterprise weeee!' We will add it when there is actually a need for it." Well, there is your need. These sectors look and feel amazing, rendering derps aside. All we need is a way to get around comfortably at larger scales.
    You know, this is where my jump gates ( like Babylon 5 ) suggestion comes into play. And it wouldn't be game breaking. ie: You need to get the resources to construct the gate, then constructing the gate itself, building defense turrets or something for protecting the gate, then (depending on what the range would be) going out and manually traveling and exploring and finding a proper location for an assembly of another jump gate. Jump gates that are within range are could have a drop down menu and you could pick which gate to exit out of. That pretty much gives reason to explore and collect resources, see new things, etc etc.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You know, this is where my jump gates ( like Babylon 5 ) suggestion comes into play. And it wouldn't be game breaking. ie: You need to get the resources to construct the gate, then constructing the gate itself, building defense turrets or something for protecting the gate, then (depending on what the range would be) going out and manually traveling and exploring and finding a proper location for an assembly of another jump gate. Jump gates that are within range are could have a drop down menu and you could pick which gate to exit out of. That pretty much gives reason to explore and collect resources, see new things, etc etc.
    The way I see it, space should be large enough that warping around should be the primary method of universe exploration. I agree, jumpgates should be a thing... But somehow I believe that ship-based FTL would be good to have, too. It could have a power drain kind of like cloaking, but perhaps with half the load.

Reaction score
    The way I see it, space should be large enough that warping around should be the primary method of universe exploration. I agree, jumpgates should be a thing... But somehow I believe that ship-based FTL would be good to have, too. It could have a power drain kind of like cloaking, but perhaps with half the load.
    Thank you! This is what I want for the game! Calibri/Schema! Over here! ;)
    {This is where I'd put that scene where C3PO gets picked up by Jawas}

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yes, I agree with you as well. Smaller ships or ones that don't have enough power or whatever reason, could use the jump gates, and the ones with ample reserves or power could FTL instead, or even a combo of the two. where you could warp to the closest jumpgate, then gate to a further distance...and set out on FTL to another sector. FTL on certain ships would make finding a good spot to build another jumpgate faster as well, aside from the obvious use of FTL.