Put maximum sector size at 10,000, not 5,000.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I was messing around with the latest patch, where there's no limit on sector sizes... And I found that 10,000 is actually a great size. It spreads shops around, for one thing, so there aren't millions of shops squished together. It also makes planets a decent distance from each other, and makes distances between systems meaningful. Also, you can't see every planet in the system from your planet, which helps immersion a lot.

After all, shouldn't space look like this:

...rather than six planets, ten asteroids, and a trade shop or seven?

The only thing that needs to be fixed is the sun: Currently, it has a really high melt radius with sectors at that scale, and it stops rendering long before you leave the solar system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wouldnt class the melt radius of the sun as something needing fixing. I mean after all, it is a star, so having it affect a 3x3x3 cube of sectors doesnt seem too unreasonable ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yaaay, this also means that missile lock won't reset every 4 seconds during combat! (since there is much less sector changes)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I wouldn't class the melt radius of the sun as something needing fixing. I mean after all, it is a star, so having it affect a 3x3x3 cube of sectors doesn't seem too unreasonable ;)
    Yes, technically it's fine. However, until sun visuals get an overhaul it's kinda hard to see how close the sun is.

Reaction score
    I agree, everything in StarMade is a little close for comfort right now. Adjustable sectors are awesome. Although, I think it would be nice to have radio beacons you can set up to mark the locations of planets and stuff from far away. It would help a little with interplanetary navigation.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I agree, everything in StarMade is a little close for comfort right now. Adjustable sectors are awesome. Although, I think it would be nice to have radio beacons you can set up to mark the locations of planets and stuff from far away. It would help a little with interplanetary navigation.
    We need navigational logs, you can open the log and que up any location you have recorded, perhaps the game can add sensor systems that can also autocatalog points of interest, like when you find shops and planets.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We need navigational logs, you can open the log and que up any location you have recorded, perhaps the game can add sensor systems that can also autocatalog points of interest, like when you find shops and planets.
    That would be awesome... could be a collectible feature though. Something like... logbooks, sort of... where you get one item per location, and you have to get more from defeating stations and large pirates, or enemy faction players.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    With logs and limit on radar with these size sectors I would say that we would need to have command like vessels.
    Just add some blocks that are not able to be placed on a ship/station with weapons computers.
    These new blocks would then make the radar range better and make the radar more "efficient" as in that it detects smaller vessels faster (for this we would say that a ship that is under a certain mass would be harder to pick up on a standard radar).

Another block could be added again (or the same block as before) which enables a kind of RTS view from where the pilot in th ecommand vessel is able to send out orders to the members of the faction, this could also be used for bobby AI ships or AI NPCs

These two types of blocks could be made more "efficient" like the other types of blocks, the larger the group or the larger the area it covers the better it will work.

This is just something I randomly mixed with a thought I have had and what I read in the chat a few minutes ago :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you know what happens in if you load in a saved sector (of the old size) into a sector of a custom size? Will it work? Center it?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Do you know what happens in if you load in a saved sector (of the old size) into a sector of a custom size? Will it work? Center it?
    It should work, but I don't know... I THINK it'll center, but just in case, make a dupe install and mess with it there.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    1. If you can't see the sun it should not effect you.

2. We need navigational bookmarks.

3. I approve this fully!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    +1 i support.

while schema's at it can we finally get auto-pilot? bigger sectors means more time flying and that could get old really fast

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    +1 i support.

while schema's at it can we finally get auto-pilot? bigger sectors means more time flying and that could get old really fast
    Bigger sectors means more time flying means people won't build bases in outrageous sectors any more. So... Neutral on an autopilot/autothrust implementation. But then again, I have a throttle on my flightstick so I get autopilot anyway... :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Tried out the 10000 size. Space seems so-

Empty.

God damn, I love it. Now we'll really need some Nav Computers, but I still love this. I've only played one game before where there was this kind of expansiveness between landmarks and I'm glad to say Starmade is customizable like this now.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Bigger sectors means more time flying means people won't build bases in outrageous sectors any more. So... Neutral on an autopilot/autothrust implementation. But then again, I have a throttle on my flightstick so I get autopilot anyway... :p
    only those belonging to the glorious flight stick master race have that ability. For all of us dirty keyboard & mouse peasants we have to stay in the core and press W for long periods of time. lol