Proposal: Intergalactic Carrier

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've noticed that nobody has tried making ships for crossing the inter-galactic expanse.

Would it be possible to make a large ship that has minimal thrust but has multiple jumpdrives that rapidly recharge and activate to a timed sequence? If timed properly such a vehicle could be made to go into a constant state of jumpdrive.

With such a ship you would dock other ships of varying size, go to the carrier's cockpit, point it in a desired direction and push a button to activate the jump drives. The carrier would jump constantly to carry it's payload to the next neighboring galaxy.

Would this be practical much less possible?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    fraid jumpdrives cant be activated by logic... otherwise i would have done this long ago

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Most of my bigger (unreleased) designs maintain a great balance of decent thrust and multiple jumpdrives.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    if more than 33% of your ship's mass is jump drives, then you could charge one jump drive in the time it takes to Jump. This may give you the effect that you're looking for. In order to have a carrier be able to do this it would have to have enough jump drives to account for 33% mass for it's self and all docked entities. It's definitely doable, what kind of mass do you want to carrier to handle? May have to consider adding docked power as well.

Been looking for another project since I finished(?) the Serenity :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm just theorizing how to design a ship that would cut down the travel time between galaxies to a minimum. Since such a ship would likely be dedicated to power and some kind of engine, it should be made to carry ships needed for settling in the new galaxy, or be designed to accommodate a wide variety of ships to act as a ferry.

Perhaps jumpdrives aren't even the answer; Does cruise control (like with alterintel's serenity or GaeasSon's constitution class) have a limit to how fast it can go?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm just theorizing how to design a ship that would cut down the travel time between galaxies to a minimum. Since such a ship would likely be dedicated to power and some kind of engine, it should be made to carry ships needed for settling in the new galaxy, or be designed to accommodate a wide variety of ships to act as a ferry.

Perhaps jumpdrives aren't even the answer; Does cruise control (like with alterintel's serenity or GaeasSon's constitution class) have a limit to how fast it can go?
    push effect would need to a large portion of the ship to reach a decent speed for a large ship
    its great for making speedy probes tho (and witht he new log out on ships you can use it to long range travel)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My Firefly Class Employs a Active Pull system (low efficiency, but has the advantage of aimed thrust)
    Only possible from docked entity firing at mother ship. Limited to server speed cap. Overdrive has no effect.

GaeasSon's Constitution Class Employs a Passive Push system (Much more efficient, limited to forward direction)
    Limited to server speed cap, speed can be doubled with Overdrive system.

Neither of the above systems will get you going as fast as I think you want to go, and would likely run you into a planet if your not careful.

I think a 33% jump drive system is probably your best bet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, sounds simple enough, and here I was trying to make it all complicated.