procedurally generated horror mobs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Procedural mobs are confirmed. I'm sure the random generator will make some horrifying looking things by accident at least some of the time.
    I think that will be the case as well. Plus, if it's randomly made from parts that alone aren't horrific, but together in the right combo are, that'll be really fun when you do encounter them.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    something that if you survive the encounter, you go NOPE, and bombard the planet/station from orbit with the hope that you killed it
    This. LOL I mean I'd support the idea of freaky things just to see people freak out like that.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    No, just no. This game is meant for a larger audience. Monsters can be cool without being scary at the same time. Make them cute, but deadly and creapy, but friendly. And make some just weird. But not scary. I already am afraid of the spiders in minecraft, with their creepy red eyes and their jumping at you. I am fine with the half spiders in StarMade. They're not creepy, but just an obstacle that looks kind of cute but shoots lasers at you.

In general, I believe that the creatures in StarMade should be deadly, but fun to look at when they are in a cage. (This fits my opinion that a creature should just be an interesting roleplay element and obstacle or help, not something that chases players away)
    yep that's definitely an opinion there

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd honestly like to see spoopy creatures. y'know, and a breeding system so I could breed them to my liking like a mad scientist or something.
    I'd like for them to actually be spooky and not just icky though. like what bunny guy up there said.

but yea I'd honestly like to see like xenomorphs and stuff, really spooky mobs that'll seriously screw up your stuff with how intelligent they are.

perhaps when a mob is killed, have it drop its "dna", which would act like its blueprints and have a new block: the dna modifier. That can either make buffs, modify what you look like, or allow you to make your own mobs.

Another thing the DNA modifier could do, is allow us to make clones, so that we can have our own clone army....

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. ESPECIALLY the clone thing. I love clone armies!

Reaction score
    I'm all down for spooky mobs, but if I found a xenomorph or facehugger in an derelict station I'd probably crap myself after playing Alien Isolation. So we should definitely avoid Alien/predator like intelligence for the fact they're unoriginal, horrifying, and extremely overpowered.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    We should be able to have some astronaut action shooting those mobs in a planet or in a infested ship !

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Once mobs are implemented I'm sure the survival servers will do things like horrifyingly OP mobs of doom, which the carebear servers likely will not.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Once mobs are implemented I'm sure the survival servers will do things like horrifyingly OP mobs of doom, which the carebear servers likely will not.
    You know, ignoring the fact that mobs will be randomly generated based on where they are in the universe. Short of swapping out the entire model inventory for them, not sure how you could do that.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Me neither, but there are servers doing crazy stuff out there. IF the OP is going to get horror mobs it's going to be on the server level.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not necessarily scary, but big rare and hard to kill creature spawning in the dark places of the universe can be something cool, imagine a space-kraken, eating spaceships, it could be very cool ! :3

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I do like the Idea of mobs but it has to be possible to catch them! then we can make some zoo or something
    it would be some sort of collectible but making mobs is alot of work, exept if you make them like the starmade spide wich moves like 1 solid piece. a nice mob would have a moving animation. Ow and why not make a science station competition, 1 for normal and 1 for abandoned
    the abandoned has monsters then normal has people is coats.
    another cool thing would be some sort of ghost ship, like the flying dutchman the ship doesnt attack you but just wanders around a system,
    if you have luck and you find one you could enter that ship and search for a treasure chest, but once you take the treasure skeletons of the dead crew will start attacking you!

Reaction score
    The horror element is hard to pull off in a game like Starmade. It was done lightly, and done well, in the X series. You make the jump into Xenon space, and find you've come face to face with a god-forsaken fleet of the bastages. Nooope, you guys can keep this system. However, putting Scavs around derelict stations, other different forms in other areas, and baddie-controlled systems sounds awesome to me.

Reactions: CyberTao

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Keep in mind, if you don't want to see a scary mob, you are carrying weapons that could render the entire planet devoid of life in a matter of seconds.

Personally, I do want scary mobs to be a thing. Having an expedition only to be halfway home and finding out that a spore got on your ship and has slowly been filling your reactor room with dead space/flood like bleh sounds fun.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That spider was unfinished, Animations were still being worked on, but it was added as sort of a test.
    Yea I did expect something like that. :p
    but I don't know if a good animated spider fits into how starmade is (idk why)

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Yea I did expect something like that. :p
    but I don't know if a good animated spider fits into how starmade is (idk why)
    The spiders appeared in the abandoned stations, but why were they abandoned? Wasn't a pirate raid because the stations were still intact. couldn't have been anything big because how would it get there? Would have to be something small enough to find in the station and the ship that brought it, strong enough to make people flee, but not so strong so as to prevent people from surviving (They escaped in ships, hence why there are no ships in the hangers). Spiders made sense in that regard, and the lack of mob generation is why they were in every station.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The spiders appeared in the abandoned stations, but why were they abandoned? Wasn't a pirate raid because the stations were still intact. couldn't have been anything big because how would it get there? Would have to be something small enough to find in the station and the ship that brought it, strong enough to make people flee, but not so strong so as to prevent people from surviving (They escaped in ships, hence why there are no ships in the hangers). Spiders made sense in that regard, and the lack of mob generation is why they were in every station.
    if you say it that way it, does make sense that they put the spider in with such a rush