Should we have procedural parts?

• No, we don't need them to have fun!

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • They might be cool... maybe.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    So... this is a big one.

I've looked at a small number of voxel-based games, and I'd list this one near the top (a tie between two actually) of my list for potential beyond what people could ever dream of ever experiencing... but none of them (so far) have ever seemed to consider the possibility of making procedural corners, inverse corners, triangular prisms, or squared pyramids. Everything is always a static block, or corner... rigid. Even in Space Engineers or From The Depths, building blocks are always set, and there is no room for true building exploration.

It's no small task making functional procedural parts, so I don't expect it to happen soon (or at all), but the (possible) utility of such parts in a voxel universe would be astounding (artistically, mechanically, etc.)

I'll be honest... I love to build artistically, I love to build for efficiency, and I love to build for power (and sometimes the few together). And this that I'm suggesting would fulfill all those desires.

I can't be the only one, right?

Truthfully, I'm just breaking the ice in this game for a very long time (I played once when it was a free release/demo) and I'm finding myself drawn in more than ever before.

So, that's my single real suggestion, hopefully it gets noticed enough that it makes a difference.

Thanks for the vote if you made one, and please reply if you have anything to add to the discussion.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Procedural corners. By that do you mean corners that fill themselves in when two blocks are positioned to create a corner?

Reaction score
    Procedural corners. By that do you mean corners that fill themselves in when two blocks are positioned to create a corner?

It takes up the "build space" of a 3x6x1 block(s), but has half the mass, and volume.

A good example is From The Depths, they have the physical blocks (cubes) I'm speaking of (corner = quarter-block right angle triangular pyramid)
    (
    )(the inverse corner of course is the opposite of that: 3/4ths of a cube with that triangular piece missing), just not to where you can "procedurally generate" or "create" your own pieces. I might also reference Kerbal Space Program that does have procedural parts, but on a far different scale.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452236004,1452234195][/DOUBLEPOST]I just realized I posted this in the wrong place, I'll move it... :l

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If I understand what you are saying you want to "create" unusual shapes that aren't already defined as the current block shapes we have? ("carving" a block?) If not I will need a better explanation to what you mean by procedural. Where would you be using this? How would it work?.

Reaction score
    If I understand what you are saying you want to "create" unusual shapes that aren't already defined as the current block shapes we have? ("carving" a block?) If not I will need a better explanation to what you mean by procedural. Where would you be using this? How would it work?.
    You got it exactly, really.

I'm not saying we should go full ham and bring in cones, cylinders and the like, but I think that an extra dimension that people can add onto their ship; connecting all those rectangular prisms and cubes; would literally be a whole new layer of depth. Meaning, you could possibly expand into different armor values for each of the parts, have values for the deflection of projectiles, and possibly modifying the strength and capacity of certain parts for ramming and damaging other ships. If you had a "magnetic" grip block, and a tunneling laser with a opening port, you could theoretically combine the ramming oriented vessel with a boarding party.

Mainly, the use for such blocks is a) armor b) an extra layer of physical depth and space that can be used for other purposes and c) artistic construction.

A: is the obvious, another set of generated parts would change the game combat wise, allowing for more armor, and also higher output weapons as a result. You could tweak things such as angles of attack vs weapons on armor, because now there is an angle for it to attack!

B: When you have an extra layer not just externally used for building, but also internally, imagine if you made a circuit board out of the floor plates of ramps that allowed them to detect intruders, or even wiring things through other shapes for other miscellaneous uses.

C: Probably the least likely contender for reasons to implement it, but really, when you give someone such a powerful tool to make parts on their own, things get crazy... someone made a logic-block 8bit computer with the parts you have, think what else people can create with more freedom! Ships, stations, settlements would get bigger and bigger, because they can scale their parts up higher and higher.

They, given this does happen, would be able to make a wall at the touch of a button, they select cubic prism, enter the data, and boom. Wall.

And the amount of space not currently expended yet, has so much ground that it could cover!

I think this would open up a new dimension for the world in every way I have explained so far... and I'm not done thinking yet.