Prevent salvaging of entities with shield regen, like asteroids or planets

Yes, it makes sense that only weapons can be used to destroy entities with shield regen

• Agree, this would make outposts a viable game strategy

• No, I'm a troll and want to sneak up in a cloaked ship and steal all ur blocks.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This would be fairly easy to add to the game as it wouldn't require any new blocks. Basically, the idea is, if an entity is able to recharge shields (has both power blocks and a shield recharger), then salvage beams can't be used on it.

This would make things like asteroid bases more viable, and require enemies to attack the base, rather than blast it with salvage beams and steal blocks without ever having to take down the shields of the entity.

I started playing on a server again that doesn't allow blueprints, so I built my first ship with a shipyard attached to an asteroid. It was actually pretty cool looking (the server also gave a 100-unit bonus to mining by hand, vs. n no bonus for mining with salvagers, which I though was really cool). Unfortunately I had to destroy it because anyone with salvage beams could come by and make it vanish, shielded or not.

Preventing salvaging on entities a player has built on and intends to protect (by placing shield rechargers) would make outpost like these viable, and could make the game far more interesting.

Reactions: Tunk

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    With the addition that overheating things could still be salvaged, this could work.

Reaction score
    I think you should just use a station with a faction module and achieve exactly the same thing. Asteroids can be pushed around anyway (depending on settings), so even if you had a shielded asteroid, someone could steal it by pushing it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think you should just use a station with a faction module and achieve exactly the same thing. Asteroids can be pushed around anyway (depending on settings), so even if you had a shielded asteroid, someone could steal it by pushing it.
    Stop effect computer attached to logic solves that problem. True someone could push a base, but they wouldn't be able to bypass it's defenses by one-shooting it with a huge salvager array.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You still didn't explain why you aren't using a station
    Stations, on most servers, and in the default game, cost money, which, when starting off, new players won't have. So they're left with two options: build on a planet, or build on an asteroid. There is a certain aesthetic to an asteroid base vs. a planet base--- also, an asteroid base doesn't cause nearly as much lag or use as much system resources as a planet does. Although currently asteroids have the drawback of not being able to dock to. That's a little different for planets....

Now, when it comes to planets, you could have several bases, but, if someone comes by with a huge salvage cannon array and jumps right you your planet, they could just salvage the docking modules the turrets are docked to, as well as the base-- even if the base has full shields or a faction block that prevents editing by non-faction members (hand-salvaging won't work, yet a salvage cannon on a ship will, which makes no sense). Sure, you could make a planet a faction home, BUT that would also advertise your location to everyone in the game, which is not something you want to do on a PVP server when you're just starting out.

Also, with both planets and asteroids, your base isn't nearly as obvious as it would be if you planted a base somewhere.

So here are the reasons, in a simple list.
    1. Being able to salvage any entity with salvage cannons (even if hand salvaging isn't possbile) which is not a ship or a station is a little pathetic.
    2. Players starting off won't have the credits to build a space station, so they have to build on a planet or asteroid
    3. Asteroid bases just look cool, and don't lag servers. Besides, they look really frigg'n cool (even if they can be bumped and moved if stop effect computers aren't used and tied to logic).
    4. Stealth