Recognized Premade Turrets

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    sorry i kinda got carried away. But what i was trying to say there was that in the complexities of the current game itis almost impossible to teach yourself how to build right. Premade designs wouldn't eliminate a desire to learn it would encourage it because the player will wonder "How does it do that?" and will take it apart to find out.
    On this we can agree. It is in this spirit that I put some of my builds up on the community content section. Some are intended as a quick, functional tool while others may be a proof-of-concept intended for the player to reverse-engineer and learn new skills.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I disagree.
    Starmade will require a certain amount of build knowledge and 'protecting' a player from a learning experience does them no service. Let each player discover these new things in an organic way. Each little discovery can be very rewarding. Also, getting things for no effort tends to diminish that experience.
    I actually disagree here also.
    I think that by having these premade items you are giving newer players the opportunity to not base their gameplay off of building. That can be learned any time later during the game if desired. If you want to build that's your own initiative, but not everyone plays for that. Some people want to trade, or RP, or just go out and join a fleet. I think this just helps them get to that faster. Also, if this isn't implemented later, wouldn't you think some people will just get their builder friends to build ships for them anyway. I know someone who is of this mindset. He won't even play unless I have something for him to go hunt pirates with. Some people just don't like building.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Also, if this isn't implemented later, wouldn't you think some people will just get their builder friends to build ships for them anyway. I know someone who is of this mindset. He won't even play unless I have something for him to go hunt pirates with.
    What you are describing here sounds great to me. This is player-interaction and RP, both elements of a good MP experience. My remarks are directed at the MP game, I should clarify. My bias is quite obviously build-oriented and this colors my perspective.

Reaction score
    What you are describing here sounds great to me. This is player-interaction and RP, both elements of a good MP experience. My remarks are directed at the MP game, I should clarify. My bias is quite obviously build-oriented and this colors my perspective.
    What would be even better is if starting ships we able to be marked by players who upload blueprints.
    In other words, a builder could create a blueprint and set it as a starter blueprint (if it meets certain requirements) when they save or upload it. Make it so the starter ships have up to a certain number of specific blocks, configurable in the config file, and all new players get the exact number of items it takes to build all starter ships. Then when those blueprints are selected from the catalog it makes a shipcore that when you enter makes an outline of the fully built blueprint around the core like the build helper does. Then the player could build it and learn some as they go. As a functional starter ship it probably wouldn't take long to do because there would not be that many blocks that you get at the start by default.